Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you still have that same enthusiasm you use to have -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 22, 2019.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Thanks Bob! Let's face it, after a few years in the old car scene, it's really just a social gathering loosely based on old cars. Sharing it all with friends and family is a big part of the fun.

Deuces, OLSKOOL57, deucemac and 2 others like this.
  2. RDR

RDR

I've always built my cars with this in my head..."A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" and just plug on.....Now at 75 that 1,000 miles seems more like maybe 3,000 miles....

Deuces, The37Kid and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  3. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Well, at 71, like so many here have numerous health issues that have played hard on my enthusiasm for hot rods. 2 years ago, I was struck with some sort of blood infection (VA Doctors still do not know) I lost the ability to walk and lost all feeling in arms and legs and was bedridden for months,Dr. said I would never walk again. This put my 56’Chevy on hold for immediate future. Long story short after 3 months in a wheel chair. With the aid of a physical therapist coming to my house 3 days a week, I went from a wheel chair to a walker to a cane. Laid the cane down in October 2017 just before my 70th birthday. My project is now a 57 Chevy. I spend about 5 hrs. a day about 3 days a week in the garage. Moving slowly, walk a little crooked at times, getting up and down is a real challenge .What used to take me and hour now takes 4 hrs. Joined The HAMB in February, love it!!!!. Enthusiasm !!!! is spectacular!!!!.

4. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

As a good friend and co worker, now deceased,told me in the 80’s.
    “You can go home,But you can never go home again “

Deuces likes this.
  5. 6-71

6-71

I am 72,still driving the 39 chevy coupe I built 48 years ago.Had 2 knees and a hip replaced 10 years ago and built myself a T bucket after that.I finished up a 71 chevy short bed last year that I started on in 1996 (not painted,but on the road)I had a shoulder replaced 2 years ago,and my other shoulder is worn out also.A buddy gave me a 31 Model A frame a few months ago and I am working on it now.going to drive the bucket to lunch tomorrow to meet up with a bunch of the old racing guys.I've got vendor spots at a swap meet next month. So yes I am still very passionate about this stuff,although my worn out body doesn't make it easy.

Deuces, enloe and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  6. verde742

verde742

Yeah,,
    You know you'er old anytime your entering your DOB with a smartphone you get to the year and you have to spin that bitch like you'er on Wheel of Fortune...

mbailey99gt, Petejoe, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  7. Yes, for the same cars that got me as a kid, Barris Mercs, Ivo and Grabowski T's, Ray Vega Tub, Valley Custom's other cars and 1936/37 Cords. Not so much car shows that are full of old men in Bermuda Shorts explaining how much money they put in their cars. We need some young blood that street races and romances in their cars. Time is running out. Yes I'm one of the old guys sneaking up on 80 but my roadster still has the doors welded shut and if you want to ride you have to climb over. And yes tilt wheel just means you're too fat! HAHAHAHHahahhaah!!! Jeans and T shirts please.

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

At 68 I feel that I have the same enthusiasm as I did when I was a teenager for hot rods and customs. I have one of every type of car I ever desired except for a woody and all except for 2 (out of 6) are all apart. I have the build. re-build, and build again theory of building it right, maybe not the first time, but it will get there. I am currently building a new house with a big garage in the middle of nowhere located in Lively, VA. near the Chesapeake Bay surrounded by cornfields and the best roads that the people from Northern VA can afford. I find that my enthusiasm is more into building/fabricating rather than pulling out my wallet to buy something related to this hobby or maybe I am just cheap--HA HA.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think maybe your arthritis has moved into affecting your brain. :D
    Here's a little list of all the different threads you posted in about your arthritis.
    Talk about personal angst. :D
    Seriously :p :D:D
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...hritis&o=relevance&c[node]=5&c[user][0]=33287

I think threads like this are great, we are all getting older and that's just part of it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    OLSKOOL57, alanp561, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

That has always been the BEST part of the hobby for me, swap meets and finding and selling parts. I may never have a finished car on the road, and at 68 don't care, but I'll always have parts. Bob

OLSKOOL57 and mbailey99gt like this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm retired and I still don't like yard work. It pisses me off when I have to do some and it keeps me out of the shop. Right now, I'm energized on my 49 Buick build. I just finished my 41 Plymouth and am looking forward to the road trip to Nashville next week but the truth is, I like to build them better than I like to drive them.

I know me well enough to know I will get burned out and have to take a diversion like shooting and reloading, but I will come back and will finish my project. Then, I will be looking for the next one.....after I decide what to sell.

12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I talked to my wife about this thread. She says my car “disease” is worst than ever and now it’s even infected her! Lol. Joking aside, it’s the enthusiasm here that is why I belong. Truthfully my focus only covers about 25% of this board but it’s the compassion of the members that makes this my only Internet forum I belong to.I have no social media at all besides this board. I’ve tried them all and left quickly. My enthusiasm for cars has only grown since I was 15. After going to a few funerals 2 years ago the fire has been burning hot. Built a shop (almost done finally), bought a car I had always wanted since I was 16 (my avatar) and my wife is still at my side supporting what I do. Blessed. Some of you have sold everything to take care of your ailing wife. I shared that with her. While she’s a lot younger and in great shape, if that happens to me I will sell it all. Thanks to all of you and this board for keeping the fire lit but in control and focused for me. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you P.K. :)

pkhammer, OLSKOOL57 and alanp561 like this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah that loss of friends is a tough one. I use to love dragracing. My racing partner got cancer and passed away and my brother had a stroke. Wife asked if I still wanted to race? I told her yeah but the wind in my sails is just gone seems like. Don't get me wrong I still love cars, and love seeing what everyone is doing here. I just miss having someone to hang out with who really gets it. Lippy

15. reefer

reefer

Enthusiasm comes and goes from full tilt to tick over.I found that when the internet took over I did less work on my car and went to fewer events. I overloaded on HotRod stuff sat at the computer and found I got tired of it all.Ive sold my Hotrods over the years and told myself “that’s it”, but it’s an addiction that is hard to kick.
    The cost of cars and parts now is ridiculous and coupled with the never ending encroachment of rules and regulations it makes it hard to invest so much money in something that might be worthless at the whim of some politician.... my HotRod is part of my pension fund so it’s kind of hard to risk it.I don’t know if this applies in America but the big green agenda is getting ramped up over here and the spinny eyed eco nutters seem to be running things now.
    I’ve only ever been drawn to early Fords and had most of them at some time, I’ve just sold my 36 Cabriolet and am mulling over whether to pull the trigger again but can’t make my mind up.Doing a full day working on the car or the house creases me these days and it annoys the hell out of me as I still “think like a young man”.

16. I can't think of anything I had back then that I still have now.* o_O

*There's probably a country song in there somewhere.

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EVERYBODY HAVE A GOOD DAY!!! :)

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SOME ENTHUSIASM FOR Y'ALL... :D

Deuces likes this.
  19. mlake01

mlake01

Every bit as enthusiastic as I ever have been, possibly more so now that I can see the end of my life approaching and still have so many things I want to build!

Struggling with the gradual loss of my physical abilities (eyesight, strength, stamina, increasing pain level, etc) does not make it any easier, but there are so many others that are in worse shape than me that I can’t complain too loudly.

Just can’t wait to get out in the shop and make sparks fly whenever I get the chance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

My interest had really waned over the last decade. The projects sat in storage and much of my life was dull. Then, a few months after doing a DNA analysis, I found out I had 3 genetic markers for AMD (macular degeneration) and I was fairly young at 40. It was a gut-punch but it was exctly what I needed. I was disrespecting my life.

That moment, I got up from my desk and walked out to the large windows of the office building. At that moment, I decided to go after all the things that I truly wanted. I purged a lot of projects and junk from my life. In the months prior I had debated whether to keep or sell my 30 A coupe project. I was really leaning toward selling it. I just saw no possible way to get it built with how life was going.

The car was a dream car for me, I had a couple different builds in my head but they all went away when I thought, what's the one car you'd build if you could only have one. That day I got the build in motion.

That day I got my life in motion.

Pushing passion away is what opens the door for boredom, disease, and early death in my opinion. I was on track: I ate like crap, I was indifferent to the way my life was going, and I wasn't creating like my brain/soul wanted me to.

Nearly two years later, the car is well on it's way, I've lost 50 lb, I take on big challenges, I'm no longer at the soul-sucking job, and so much more. I'm on this path of reinventing myself and if you compared me to my September 2017 self, you wouldn't know they were the same man.

If anything, my passion is far beyond what it was. This car is for me, period. I'm not out for anybody's approval or to fit in. This is the car I want to be driving around, dropping the kids off at school, leaving burnouts in the road out front of my house, going on overnight trips with my wife, etc.

IMG_8222.jpg

No build thread on the car, yet. At this point a ton has been done to the body... repairs, modifications, etc. The car will be built to a mid 60s time period. I love hot rods of that era, especially street/strip cars.

IMG_8224(1).jpg

And though it's weird to post on the HAMB, here's my after/before.

ReinventBrent BeforeAfter.jpg

ReinventBrent on Instagram

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  21. The arthritis in my hands and a bulged disc in my back make it difficult. My son in law is a car guy and when he visits I get a lot done. Then, I ache for a couple of weeks. It's worth it. Right now, Central Coastal California is beautiful. My roadster is running fine. The local roadster club (San Lius Roadsters) are serious drivers. And hard runners. The month of May will put a bunch of miles on the hot rod. I guess I still have the fire in the belly for it. Most times it makes up for the pains.

OLSKOOL57 and deucemac like this.
  22. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Just found out I have Cataracts and Glaucoma, sorta bummed, but at least I have an excuse for trying to put a 1/2" bolt into a 3/8" hole.
    I'm going to go lay down on my creeper and nod off.:(

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

I'll be 74 in a few months. I'm smart enough to know that I can't do the bull work I used to be able to do and dumb enough to still try on occasion. The other side of getting older is that I know how to do so many more things. Although at this stage of life I tend to do a cost/benefit analysis on learning new things. TIG welding for instance. Could the time needed to become proficient be better used using what I already know (gas, stick and MIG) to move forward on an existing project? Then there is the intangible of the satisfaction of learning a new skill. Life would be a whole lot easier if it was a tab A slot B world, but a whole lot less interesting or fun.

LAROKE, reefer, trollst and 1 other person like this.
  24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I still have big ideas but my get up and go got up and went.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]I don't think I've ever seen narrowed Model A fenders, what is the plan there? Bob

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Oldskool and lippy I have endured these same challenges and can only say "I can" I always told my kids that when they would say "I can't". I have lost my enthusiasm for this stuff but can't quit because I have always railed against quitting. In August it will be 50 yrs. that I lost my arm in Vietnam and that didn't stop me so I guess I will keep plugging along. I'll be at Rhinebeck next weekend so any of you hambers going stop by and have a cold one.

Pat

40FORDPU, reefer, deucemac and 3 others like this.
  27. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Pat,
    Just keep plugging along the best you can. I came home from Vietnam 50 years ago this past December, myself. Wish I could give your arm back, I can’t. Thanks for what you did.

LAROKE and 1934coupe like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Pat. I'll be at Rhinebeck, always good to see your setup there. Bob

OLSKOOL57 and 1934coupe like this.
  29. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I’ll second that!! Thanks to both of you and all of the vets on this board for the freedom that we have every day and I’m sure take for granted. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wizzo and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 74 and fortunately, my eyesight and eye/hand coordination still allows me to weld. I have less proficiency in gas welding than I would like but it wasn't a requirement in my work as a Boilermaker. I can do it, but not with the skill of someone who has practiced it all their life. You say you have the ability to weld with gas, stick or MIG. With a minimum amount of effort, you should be able to train your eyes and muscles to memorize the motions needed to TIG. I see it as just one more useful tool in your box.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.