Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features **Model T buckets/RPU's/Roadster/Tourings official photo thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old-Soul, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

To the tippy top.

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. Chuck mine in again. At a ''Hot Rod'' Show a year back where you can see what most other Hot Rods there were and a T- Bucket took out '' Most Original'' :eek: JW
    [​IMG]

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

6. atch

atch

If anyone wants more pix of this Larry Selmer/Micky Himsl T send me an email at smatch22@outlook and I'll attach some in a response. I've got 92 pix of it saved on my computer. I sure don't want to take up bandwidth here to post them all.

Beautiful
    Gorgeous
    Stunning
    Exquisite
    Dazzling
    Magnificent
    Mesmerizing
    Captivating

Just pick your adjective.

gonzo, Blownfuel, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I don't think anyone would gripe if you posted a few more ;)

And if the do we'll give 'em the boot.

brad2v, loudbang, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  8. atch

atch

View attachment 4263085
    Well; your 4 pix pretty well show the overall car, so I'll put up a few details. And perhaps one of the moonshine "jug" on the back.

1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-1.jpg 1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-7.jpg 1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-28.jpg 1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-31.jpg 1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-32.jpg 1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-65.jpg 1926-T-Roadster-Mickey-Himsl-Moonshiner-69.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    A Boner, gonzo, exterminator and 8 others like this.
  9. atch

atch

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That little blue "T" is very cool,I like most of it real well,so there is way more that I like vs a few small things I don't. Pretty cool.

loudbang likes this.
  11. atch

atch

Agree 100% Dana.

There are 4 things I would have done differently, but 99.99% of the car is spot on. And probably most folks on here would have done those 4 things just like they actually got done.

I still love it, though.

I could practice 18 hours a day for the next 30 years and still not be capable of turning out the kind of craftsmanship that this car exhibits.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mickey Himsl has a lot of practice building that car. He's been doing it since the early '60s. He's pretty good at it.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  13. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

@atch WOULD YOU HAVE ANY PICS OF THIS DURING THE RECENT RESTORATION?

loudbang likes this.
  14. atch

atch

I don't know, but I don't think so. I have seen pix of it during restoration, though, so there may be some on the web. If I find any I'll put them up.

loudbang and RAT "T" like this.
  15. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

GREAT, THANKS MIKE

biggeorge and loudbang like this.
  16. touring20

touring20

The yellow hot rod is a early Willis overland touring front half .
    I caught the hot rod bug in the early 70s ,and like most of the young people at that time it was about getting wild about anything .bell bottoms ,flower decals on your VW bug ,
    Or the biggest freaking engine you could stuff into a "T" ! Hippies ,Vietnam , protests
    Wild colors , our country was a little insane ! And now we are insane and paranoid.

Atwater Mike, rod1, brEad and 2 others like this.
  17. Spent the last few days going through the entire thread!
    Such inspiration for my build. I'm new to the "T" scene, but have loved them since I was a child. Currently reconfiguring mine into a late 50s early sixties style. I have a set of white walls, just waiting on wheels. Gonna get rid of that ugly box on the back and replace it with an oval gas tank, add finned valve covers, better steering system etc... 20190504_095424.jpg

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

rustydusty,;; Some ideas 4U, for vary early 60s style your alum rims "Slots" are real good already{thats when Slots were new an kickass to have,I still love them. Fin valve covers are a great idea. If it was me,I'd hide the Cherry Bombs under with (block off take offs) on pipes. Better box or tank sure ! Rad shell is a bit high. Can't see steering in photo? Mostly pretty cool. I have no idea how tall you are,but windshield looks about bugs in teeth high now{some like bugs,me @ 6ft.not so much). LOL

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    enloe, 26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  19. Dana, right now it's got "rack and pinion " steering in front of the axle. Works pretty good actually, looks like ass! I have an early Corvette steering box, and a '62 Studebaker Lark box and going to try and make one of those work. Can maybe lower the radiator 1 1/2". Not a lot- but should look better.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

Rusty, If I could offer a couple pointers to help... ignore as you see fit. Most of these are pretty cheap to do.
    I'd route the plug wires underneath like stockers of that era did. The over the valve cover thing looks later to me... bonus points if you can scrounge up a set of 'vette shields for a reasonable price and hang them along with making the engine look like a 'takeout' , although I'd imagine most would strip off extra stuff that adds weight and are in the way of servicing. They are expensive as repops. Maybe just the lower Vs...
    https://keenparts.com/corvette-parts-detail.php?cat=270&year=1961&partnum=270114
    Depending on your valve cover choice, an Oil fill neck on the intake will help fit better too. I'm not saying it's gotta look stock, just fit the era. Valve covers back then didn't have oil fill, breathers, PCV or anything.
    [​IMG]

As Dana said, the exhaust is off for the era. Here's Oct. 62 HR mag cover, This is probably the biggest expense. White Hi-temp paint and exhaust shop work.
    [​IMG]
    early 60s did not have wide wheels/tires like your rears. You mention white walls waiting on wheels. Make sure to keep the wheels fairly narrow.
    The stainless/chrome band behind the rad shell is really eye-catching. I'd suggest painting flat black to hide it instead. Radiator hoses are too shiny also, along with the overflow tank.
    If you haven't already, read through The Bucket of Ugly thread. Chip had a lot of good points about making a bucket fit the era.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-bucket-of-ugly-a-de-uglifying-thread.824491/

The discs are safety related and expensive to change out to era-correct stuff. I'd work on the other stuff before even thinking about that.

1959 era cover (remember, mag covers were the best of the best, you can do a bit less and still be era correct) that's what finned valve covers and plug wires should look like!
    [​IMG]

A Boner, enloe, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  21. atch

atch

RSR is correct in that the entire ignition shield kit is pricey. However, just the spark plug shields (https://keenparts.com/corvette-parts-detail.php?cat=270&year=1961&partnum=270027 and https://keenparts.com/corvette-parts-detail.php?cat=270&year=1961&partnum=270028) and plug wire on block (https://keenparts.com/corvette-parts-detail.php?cat=270&year=1961&partnum=270025) pieces come in at a much more reasonable cost and utilizing only these parts will still probably bring about the desired look.

I used these pieces in Clarence and they look great. I can't remember where I got mine, but I believe that they were much less expensive than the links above. I probably ordered them from Summit.

Of course if you don't want to reroute the plug wires just disregard this whole dialog.

Your car is pretty cool as is and when you change out the box on the back it will be much cooler yet. Please post more pix when you finish the changes you have in mind.

22. Would like to see some more photos of this showing good detail, front and rear ends and the steering!!
    I like the basic layout and the changes you are going to make. :cool::cool:
    Will put my motor up again, maybe for some inspiration, please dont use ''Corvette'' covers... so over used and look best on Corvettes and or real Corvette motors. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    A Boner, Fordor Ron, enloe and 3 others like this.
  23. Thanks for the great advice guys. I will be doing this in small increments as I just found out I will be needing back surgery again this summer. The white walls are narrow and will really inspire the rest of the transformation. One of the great things about a "T" is being able to sit on a stool and work on the engine!

dana barlow, loudbang and RodStRace like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Funny how we strive to be traditional and then say that some part of it is over done. :D

Fordor Ron and dana barlow like this.
  25. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the Vette plug shields and the parts behind the manifolds to protect the wires. Buried and no one knows but me. CA430D3D-EC60-4A9A-93FE-2D54BBBAAB61.jpeg

gonzo, Fordor Ron, enloe and 7 others like this.
  26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

27. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Very nice. Looks kind of familiar. DSCN1197.JPG

Squablow, loudbang, enloe and 4 others like this.
  28. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

A Boner, gonzo, Squablow and 10 others like this.
  29. The front axle looks a long way back on the Red Roadster ! JW

loudbang likes this.
  30. verde742

verde742

the red roadster has a '35 -'48 Ford front end with spring in front of axle.
    Just looks so wrong.... IMO
    a common mistake in my opinion !! shortens wheel base, throws EVERYTHING outta whack.