Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects When to say no to a project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cturboaddict, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Race cars !
    I sorta need an engine test stand that I can roll around - and it really needs to look just like a 33 Willys

raven likes this.
  2. I never say no... My wife says it for me!

3. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

If it appeals to me, I get it. Doesn't matter what shape, within reason. I won't pay big bucks for anything old, not restored, project, rolling, etc.

iwanaflattie and cturboaddict like this.
  4. I need to learn when to say no, but being obsessed with cars it's hard to pass on a good deal, even if you don't want it. :rolleyes: HRP

cturboaddict likes this.
  5. cturboaddict

cturboaddict

LOL

6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

It cost nothing to take them apart but are they a pain in the butt putting them back together, rust or no rust. Spending some time in NH, the first two years of any project that I had were spent in repairing the rust. It is like playing basketball after you have to clear the court from all of the chairs set up for the school play, you don't really feel like playing basketball any more. I often wonder why some guys will chop a roof before replacing rusted out rocker panels and toe boards. Oh yea, one last item, walk away from a deal when the seller says, "well that is an easy fix". Sorry for getting carried away.

cturboaddict likes this.
  7. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

I think it all depends on what trips your trigger. The Galaxies are becoming more popular as they are something that younger Hamber's remember from there youth. Take a look at the parts that AMD (auto metal direct) now has in development and on their website. Not cheap, but I wouldn't have thought you could get full floor and trunk pans. I have used some of there products on prohibited here mopars, and been happy with them. It all depends on how much work your willing to do and how much money you want to spend.

62rebel and John Lee Williamson like this.
  8. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. F&J

F&J

never buy a car that is much rougher than you hoped, just because it is so close to your home.

and.....sometimes we buy another project just because we subconsciously are in a rut with the unfinished one that's in the work bay now.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have finally matured to the point where I now have the money and time, but am way more skeptical than when I was younger. So a car I would have taken because I was hot for it when I was younger now probably will get passed over as I now realize I don't have all THAT much time left to build these things. Plus I want to do some driving of them not spend all my time in the shop.

47ragtop and F&J like this.
  11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tell people that restoring a car is like eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time. So, how hungry are you and how long are you going to keep your appetite?

Personally, I usually do frame off builds. So, I look for fairly solid cars and fairly complete cars to start with. I'm not into scrounging and walking swap meets. I'd rather be working on the car. The way I do it, it takes a lot of time regardless so I try to keep it from taking forever.

13. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not mine actually. Was driving and the back of the roofline caught my eye, so I whipped around and found this "gem"!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Replacing sections of a frame are not that hard, the biggest problem is all the stuff you have to remove to be able to replace that frame section. If you have to lift the body off, or cut large sections off the body to be able to repair the rusted frame, the entire project just became a major time and money consuming project (what it appears to be in those tiny pictures).

How bad do you really want it, and is there a different one in much better shape to start with?

I look at what i think its going to cost (time and money wise) before I can safely drive the project and decide if I have, or want to invest that much time and money.

So lets say I find 2 same car projects.
    Project 1 is close to me, but needs rust repair and is missing parts. I can buy it for $500, but I figure it will cost me $10,000 and 10 years to be able to drive it (not a show car).
    Project 2 is farther away, but pretty much rust free and fairly complete. It will cost me $1500 and another $300 to get it here. I figure it will cost me $5,000 and will take 3 years to be able to drive it (not a show car). Project 2 wins Less total money, and much faster to drive. Its almost always better to start with the best body you can find, it makes a better, probably cheaper, and a faster build. Gene

15. safetythird

safetythird

16. It's about Hart, if your hart is in it, you gota have it, you'll make it happen. I built a 36 Cord sedan that was in a building that burned down, wasn't a strait panel on it. I changed everything except the cowl, floor, and rear quarters/wheel wells, used a graham hollywood as a doner, pretty soon I had a nice Cord, Hart was on having a Cord, made it happen. The car it's self has little to do with it, gota want it bad, car will follow.

17. On the shoebox above, Here's a good example seeing it different, Eg: "Wanting it bad"I see good doors, grill pieces, firewall, a inner fender well, some window frames, Core support, dash etc. 2 or 3 wrecks ,like this, can be one good car if you are determined and make time.

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

After we sold our house that we had lived in for 25 years, we moved to a brand new house being built from the ground up. The new house was selected as our last house. Our home for 25 years was built in the early 60s, and we had gone through plenty of remodels up to the limit. My wife wanted a new house with a separate dining room, a huge kitchen opened to a family room, a master suite with a reading room/library and a huge bathroom with a make-up table. She got all of those choices as this house was one of the largest in the housing development.

It was not out in the country, nor did it have a huge yard surrounding the house. The sole purpose was to have space for the granddad and home coming, son. We even had space for a wandering niece that needed a place to stay. What did I get in this house? A three car garage with a built in sprinkler/fire system, plus outlets in the whole house, Cat 5 wiring built in to every room, including the garage. It was the time of computer cable access and the house was supposed to be the newest development with all of the goodies inside and out.

The house was 3000 sq feet of space. It was fun selecting what we wanted in flooring wall tile, kitchen, etc. We had finally chosen a three car garage! Now, there would be space for a hot rod or project. Wall to wall cabinets and counters were also being put in place. Our neighbors were Harley riders and wanted us to get a Harley. But, we had already gone through that stage as 20 somethings. This time around, we were young enough to do some dabbling in hot rods, whether a full project or rebuilding an old, running one with new ideas.

Jnaki

We had the space, the tools, the ideas and the future selection of a hot rod would have fit perfectly. We selected three cars in varying stages of finish. A Model A coupe, a 1956 Chevy 2 door station wagon, and an old Buick convertible were the choices. (The Model A and Buick convertible ideas came from both of our early family car ownership.) We both liked the 56 Chevy 2 door wagon, with A/C (not the Nomad) and the style reminiscent of an affordable, surfer wagon from the 60s.

But, as things go, our son moved to a condo with his friends, post college. My wife’s dad stayed in his own house with some extra help. So, here we were in this huge house with only two people. We looked at each other and decided that this house served its purpose of getting a brand new big house with all of the stuff that goes along with the purchase. Somehow, building or modifying a hot rod/cruiser began to take a back seat.

It was disappointing that our huge house was not going to have 3 generations and a wandering niece, living under one roof. So, it was time to downsize and not continue our future build/modifications of a hot rod/family cruiser.

Our current two car garage has new cabinets, counters and flooring with plenty of storage space. This new remodel was in order for us to do some final cleaning out… duplicate and no longer used tools will bite the dust, with most going to our niece’s family. (But, no third car garage) So, for the last 18 years living in our smaller house, we are approaching the time to say “no” to a bunch of stuff, currently and in the road ahead. It is set up as another activity area, (home projects, model cars, etc.) but, no space for hot rod building or modifications.

Besides, our granddaughter grew up in our current house and that has given us a different look at life. This old house has served many facets: functionality, simplicity, originality, low cost, and a place with tons of 2nd generation memories as the alternative parents to a growing baby/child/teen.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  19. 62rebel

62rebel

Case in point: my 63.5 Galaxie Sportsroof. I built one back in the '90's (took almost two years) but damn if it didn't have every bell and whistle Ford could offer. And then I traded it away. So, when I found one with issues I knew I could deal with, I made a deal for it. Has it been easy? There's been some real cussing done about how the PO did things, for sure. But it came with papers, it did turn out to run very well even though there was no way to verify this before buying it; what's missing can be found, with work.. This is almost my Swan Song car; I don't envision going through this much work again (hell, I can't afford to buy projects at the prices they're getting these days) unless it's to finish my Jag project, since nobody wants to buy the parts, but, hell, they're paid for and not taking up too much room. What is my present 63.5 set up with? A stock 289 with a three speed stick and dual exhaust. No power brakes, no power steering, no A/C. Lowest price Galaxie 500 fastback available, I suppose, for the day.

20. 29moonshine

29moonshine

depends on what it is and how bad I want it

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      284.1 KB
      Views: