Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A question about the being "Jaded".

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 24, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

HRP posted about enthusiasm, and the word Jaded came up. I get jaded at big shows like Goodguys and I feel a little bad about that. I often times will just walk by some "nice" car that I would most likely, really look over and truly appreciate if I were to see it anyplace else. Mostly this would be cars like, Camaro's, Mustangs, Mopar's, PU's and so on. Right here I want to apologize to the owners for doing that, because I know they deserve as much "love" of their ride as I do mine.
    So I was just wondering if I'm one of few that gets Jaded or am I'm mostly alone, in my "Jadedness." (is that even a word"?)

2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I'm guilty of it as well. Sometimes it just has to do with your mood or limited time to look.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm very jaded....so much so that I didn't respond to the thread about enthusiasm.

But I did make a call today to a guy who's selling an old car. I'm still trying.

4. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's kinda like women. If there's a room full of 'em, you'll gravitate to the type you like. But if there's only one around and she's plain Jane, you'll make time for her.

reagen, VANDENPLAS, catdad49 and 18 others like this.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

Part of the human condition, I suspect. As you age, your tastes are refined. After all, when there's less time ahead of you than behind you, you don't want to waste any of it on things that don't appeal to you.

6. NAES

NAES

I think we can all agree that we've seen tens if not hundreds of thousands of cars at this point. Some things grab our attention, other things absolutely don't. For myself original paint cars have been the biggest attraction.

I'm generally not a fan of completely finished or restored cars. That being said any burnt orange metal flake looking thing at least gets a double take from me as of late! LOL

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MAD 034 likes this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I see it this way: I think BIG shows probably do well to expand scope a little. This draws car enthusiasts of more than one niche in together to see and appreciate each other's interests and co-mingle with one another socially.

I think BIG shows with a bit of a wider scope can do a lot for any of those given niches in the hobby by exposing people, particularly younger people, to different ideas, styles, and eras, which, in turn, strengthens the overall hobby and invites new blood into those niches of interest like Traditional Hot Rodding.

And that new interest pumps out into the non gigantic shows.

I love traditional hot rod and traditional-leaning shows, but I truly appreciate the big ones and their place too. Up my way there's the World of Wheels that I try to make sure to see everything at each year and the biweekly Mass Cruisers night in Foxboro which is a MONSTER that draws cars in from about every corner of the hobby together.

Texas Webb, Stooge and GreenMonster48 like this.
  8. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The big shows are at times overwelming to me also. I guess that is why I dig the smaller traditional rod and custom shows they don't get me jaded as much !

BigO and kadillackid like this.
  9. I mean, I think by now there are a set of recipes that work for cars (across all genres). How many 69 Camaro's or 49 Mercs can you really look at? You already know what to expect.
    I'll whistle right past a pristine 100 point restored car because I've probably seen that same car a hundred different times in some way. I will gravitate towards the rusty/primered/working man stuff all day because they hustled to get there, and likely aren't sitting on a lawnchair behind it bitching that the food is cold and the music is too loud.

10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Cut the stuff out of your life the really annoys you. Life is to short. I stopped going to judged car shows totally 15ish years ago. Also quit hanging around the "Magazine car" wannabes. Guess what. 95% of drama went with it. Quit chasing approval from strangers and build/buy what YOU like/want.

Frankie47, Mahty, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  11. 48stude

48stude

What you have to remember is that guy that owns that Camaro or ( fill in the blank ) walks right past your car too. . Not because of quality , it's because he isn't interested in traditional type hot rods. I don't take offence to that. Because I am guilty of the same . If I do happen to take notice and the owner is there, I'll let him know that I appreciate the quality of his build. The older I get the scope of my interest has narrowed more toward traditional type hot rods ,especially Model A's. I don't consider myself jaded ,but I really am not interested in talking to you about your 20" wheels if you get my drift. Bill

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  12. jim snow

jim snow

What Bill said. Snowman

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm really "Jaded" about Bremerton Raceway going to 1/8 mile for 2019 (New organization President's decision), after it being a 1/4 mile track for SIXTY years now (there was a really short time in the 80's when it went 1/8 mile for a few weeks due to not having gaurdrails). I'm really JADED Mr. Dennis Boley. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I got verbally jaded when sitting in my first time on the road, 57 Chevy hard top, 396, 4 speed, glass nose, nose high with station wagon springs, new paint, white with blue metal flake roof, solid lifter cam with headers by a girl in a Model A coupe. She asked, "what did I have in that for a motor", I puff up my best chicken chest and said a 396, she replied, "yea, you need a big block" for a car that big". She said all of that without even getting out of the coupe. then the A&W Car Hop, rolled by me on her roller skates and said, "better get back in your car, before you get run over".

15. Stooge

Stooge

I don't know if I would say that I've become jaded, since there's always been sections of cars I've just never really cared about and would walk right by without a second glance unless there seemed like there was something special about it, but I guess regarding shows, I'm maybe more picky about which ones i'll go to the last few years. a lot of my friends are into 60s/ early 70s muscle cars, and being 31, other friends are into imports/ late model stuff, and I've just never really been interested in either of those types of cars, shows, meets, etc. Nothing malicious against them, they just dont peak my interest and I get a little bored with them, just as im sure someone who's interests are a new speedy little subaru, would probably get bored looking at the pre-war stuff I like. I think I've got it narrowed down to 3 or 4 shows that I really enjoy going to that I try and make every year, and one of those still has rows of cars I don't really bother walking around.
    It gets a little fuzzy sometimes since I have an off topic 80's truck that I've been asked to bring to shows, but where its old enough to be slightly interesting, but new enough that the other cars there wouldn't really be of much interest to me, along with the crowds are generally a little off putting, that I wouldn't be interested in attending the show regardless of being invited to bring a car or not.

rockable likes this.
  16. At least the car-hop is traditional:D

17. I am about done with car shows. If I go it's usually to see some people I haven't seen in a while. The cars that draw me in are ones you rarely see at shows or on the road anymore. Doesn't matter what genre, I like them all. I guess you could say I'm jaded.

Mahty likes this.
  18. Jadedness is a word but it is Hindi. HRP

clem and dana barlow like this.
  19. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Sometimes I wonder if I was meant to be a dog because I like so many kinds except can’t see the point of viewing seriously cars that just came out of the showroom.

20. I don’t understand the question
    I like cars
    car shows have them
    I’m happy being there

Just Gary, dana barlow and BigO like this.
  21. Great analogy right there.

WB69, Just Gary, brianf31 and 4 others like this.
  22. Thats me, and im trying to go see all i can, and im 58. I was happy that a gal took pics of my '47 at a BBQ House the other day and said, " my husband is going to love these pics", my '47 is not a show car by any means

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    WB69 and GreenMonster48 like this.
  23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

As I get older I'm finding I go to car shows to see people I usually only see at these events. The cars almost become secondary. There is many a time I would rather set up with some parts for sale under a tent in a swap meet so I can sit around and chew the fat with the guys it seems I've known a lifetime.

R A Wrench likes this.
  24. At large car shows where there is a Sea of beautifully finished show cars, I'll glance ahead, and If I spot an old un-restored original paint car, my pace will pick up, and the others almost become in my way to get there.
    I will say any of those other ones would get my attention If they were by themselves, in traffic, or at a store.
    An analogy I'll use is another interest of mine-nice homes. When going into a new higher end housing development, there are many beautiful homes, they all start to blend in together, none of them seeming to be anything special or unique. Now take any one of them, put it out by itself on acreage/ large lot, and I take notice, and will then appreciate them.

25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

What has always drawn me in was the craftmanship and attention to details. With that said I guess I have become jaded to extremely high end builds. Not that I don't appreciate the skills , time and money invested, but everything has reached such a level of perfection that it does not seem like a car anymore . I want my builds to be as nice as I can build them, inside, outside and underneath. But them I want them driven and enjoyed. Larry

Mahty and rockable like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When you go to shows, some cars catch your attention and pull you in. Some for the good reasons and some for the bad reasons. Then there`s the style you like, that you have to look at no matter if you like it or not.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do the same...walk by cars I'm not very interested in. But I wouldn't call it being jaded. I'd call it preference. No reason to pay a lot of (or maybe any) time looking at cars that don't interest us. Others will, though. Something for everyone.

WB69 likes this.
  28. Mahty

Mahty

I like seeing and talking to owner / builder types. Not the guy who can drop 200k and act like he built it. I can appreciate any car that is well done, or unique. Unless it’s been done to death.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WB69 likes this.
  29. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Like some on here, not a fan of the high dollar store bought, professionally built cars. I am always drawn to the back garage, hand rubbed, built what you can afford type of car. Not saying the high dollar cars are not great cars, just like the more home grown. Used to be the muscle cars when I was younger. I think that I have looked at everyone of them at least a million times. I also am always looking ahead to the next old hotrod and cruise past a lot of other cars on my way to them.

Mahty likes this.
  30. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I need to hear from 31Vicky with a hemi before I make a decision.