Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rare Wheels - show us what you've got!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Feb 15, 2008.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

These anything to write home about?

Capture.JPG

Magfiend and swade41 like this.
  2. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

I'd love to find one more. Thank you for the info. I've wondered for 30 years!

loudbang likes this.
  3. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Do you think a pair of 15x7 Standard are worth 300.00 ? My only concern is finding 2 more and I'd hate to pay 300 for another set, but these ones are super nice. I was hoping for 200.
    Is 300 a average price or smoking, deal. If it's a smoking deal I'll pass. I don't want to be stuck with 2 wheels and end up paying 500 for another pair lol. I'll just put on my TT but I was thinking if be different than every other 53-55 Studebaker owner.
    I'm considering turning it into a gasser, I've always loved that hot rod era.

4. QUOTE="RatStude55, post: 12388101, member: 312529"]I need help can anyone identify this wheel for me? My father gave it to me about 30 years ago and it was his garden hose reel since I can remember. I'd love to find info and love to find a mate. It has a steel insert-aluminum outside. Closest match I've seen in a magazine was on a Hurst Olds[/QUOTE

That is a Cragar G/T Plus, completely different than a Hurst wheel in construction.

loudbang likes this.
  5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I remember you had a set of 4 , 5 spoke mags from a 32 3 window a few years ago also . I think I know the guy that owns the 3 window !

loudbang likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ken Schalk had a set for years sitting in his garage . I would bet he still has them and has no idea what they are .

loudbang likes this.
  7. Yep. It is a fresh air scoop! Holley 3-bbl on stock 354cast iron manifold.

PA070013.JPG PA070015.JPG PA070016.JPG PA070018.JPG PA070012.JPG PA070014.JPG

8. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

There stories are Awesome. I might just start collecting vintage wheels ;)

loudbang likes this.
  9. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Dilemma guys. I can buy the two Standards today for $300, or a set of 4 original TT for same price 15x6 4.5 pattern.
    I don't have $ to buy both. I'm not up to date on value. You can buy new for under $100 ea. Are original more valuable

10. @RatStude55
    All of what you are asking is something of personal preference. You really need to decide on a game plan. If you are going to build a straight axle type gasser you will need a wider rim in the rear and skinny up front. I personally like wheels that match front and rear as far as style. Torq Thrust is easier to do that way as they were made in a bunch of different widths. The American Racing Standard was never made in a skinny, if I remember right 7" is the narrowest so you will need a different style wheel for the front. Which is still ok it just needs to fit with the plan. Maybe a kidney bean up front with the Standard in the rear. If you build a cool street car you can do all four wheels the same size. $300 sounds like a good deal either way you decide to go. The Standards are more uncommon but like you said you'll need to find two more wheels which ever way your plan goes. If you go Gasser then you'll need wider than 6" for the rear and skinnier than 6" for the front. Again do some more research and decide what type of car it will be and stick to the plan before you start buying parts.

enloe, loudbang and bowie like this.
  11. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Very good advice. I do get sidetracked. I like the Standard rims but not sure how difficult finding two more is. I was hopefully to find a couple 6" down the road, if not I could resell them and buy my desired wheels. I have TT already but I can't pass up a set of original for 300.00. I can always resell them for 5-600 and put towards other wheels or trade for other vintage speed parts I'm looking for.
    The Studebaker crowd will hate me when I gass this car, they already don't like the fact it's a 55 Commander that looks like 53 :)
    Now if I can figure out which motor the high winding 10.5:1 283 30/30 Duntov cam my Dad built in the 70s and never started, or the lumpy 396, fenderwell headers,
    Need to find cool old school intake for both. I have a Tarantula for BBC.
    I need dual quads, or 6 ! hmmm...sorry ramble off topic

loudbang likes this.
  12. On my O/T car. 15" Citroen GS Birotor wheels. Rare as rocking horse shit...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Speedys Garage likes this.
  13. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Now that is a bolt pattern I've never seen! Cool!

14. And that's probably the most normal looking thing you'll see on this Citroen. :cool:

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  15. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Guys still need a set or just one 15x4 5 on 4 3/4 pattern daisy wheel.

Attached Files:

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

loudbang likes this.
  17. PCD is enormous... 3 x 160mm

Here's the rest of the car

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Have 2-15x10 daisy on back of Studebaker truck with a 1964 Impala rear end in it. I have a several more daisy wheels on tires in the stack, i didnt know they were desired. some are skinny I'll check for you Chuck Craig

loudbang likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

Old aluminum Daisy spokes are kinda sought after. The later chromed ones not so much.

loudbang likes this.
  20. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Sorry mine are chrome. I don't have any aluminum. I do have 4-15x7 GM, 2-15x8 and a 2-14", 2-15x10. There's a pile of them at the local boneyard. I know most of the local scrap /junk guys, who set aside old looking car stuff for me.

loudbang likes this.
  21. egads

egads

Look's like a Keystone Rebel.

loudbang and blowby like this.
  22. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Here are some fuglies. No idea what they are, been around here for years. Aluminum and Steel. I think they are late 70's early 80's?
    I have never seen them anywhere else, 4-15x7 on a parts car well over 20 years ago

Attached Files:

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  23. CarsR4Driving

CarsR4Driving

I believe that this is my first post, here, but some of you may find it challenging/interesting.

For more than 20 years I have owned a set of wheels that I thought I knew, and have been waiting for the right car to put them on. When I saw them advertised I knew I had to have them. They appeared to be a set of Keystone Rogue / Classics... but on closer reading they were made of MAGNESIUM ALLOY! They also were Unilug! My mind was blown. I bought them and squirreled them away (they weigh nothing).

Recently, I was told by an old-time hot rodder that these were not in fact Keystones, but were an illegal Mickey Thompson copy. So the old timer said; The Mick took a shine to Keystone Rogues in the early-mid '60's but couldn't believe how much they weighed. So, he decided to knock some off in magnesium. When he had gotten a few sets ready for sale, he (M/T Industries) was slapped with an infringement suit by Keystone. He was thereafter under a restraining order, and had to withdraw them from market. He later lost the suit, and had to destroy the unsold copies. Apparently, very few made it into the public's hands and are highly prized.

I would've included a pic, but they are buried so deep in storage, that it would take the better part of a day to retrieve them... then I'd have to put them back. Besides, we all know what Keystone Klassics look like (except these are oxidized to a grey/green color!

Does anyone have any ideas? This is a real puzzler. I can find no reference to either the wheels or to the court case online. Thanks.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Start digging, we'll wait!

swade41, enloe and chevy57dude like this.
  25. @CarsR4Driving I'm with @DDDenny start digging and make sure you post pictures. I believe the Rouge came out in the early 1970's and Mickey Thompson was already sold and part of Colt Industries under the Holley-M/T name so I doubt he was still making anything in magnesium especially coping something of someone else's design. Just don't sound like him plus uni-lug? I'd really like to see photos front and back sides. I've owned a couple sets of Rouge and they are very light compared to other Keystones of the time. They were an aluminum alloy not magnesium. If you dig them out and they're magnesium they should be a pretty dark gray by now and have some type of corrosion I'd bet. Waiting on pics

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    loudbang, swade41 and enloe like this.
  26. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

Parnelli Jones sold an all aluminum wheel that looked very much like Keystones with no law suits. I have a set of examples in 15x6

loudbang, swade41 and enloe like this.
  27. Parnelli Jones wheels were made by Rebel Wheel Co back in the 1960'S I've had a few of those also and they did look similar to Keystone. Dusty Rhodes had Rebel Wheels on his trailer and the very rare 16" wheels on the rear of his FED. The 15" are pretty scarce I only had 14". I may still have one cracked one in my storage unit. Rebel used a plain center cap and the PJ center caps said Parnelli Jones. I'm at work so no pics.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  28. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

29. jbob1944

jbob1944
    from , Co

American "Bear Paw" these were designed by Romeo Palamides.
    Magnesium 16x10
    They have never had ties mounted
    They can be had..

Attached Files:

loudbang, swade41, maneri and 2 others like this.
  30. What can you tell me about these
    the knock off holds the centers on
    wheels.jpg