Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1949 Dodge front suspension help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dchaz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Dchaz

Dchaz

My brother recently bought a 49 Dodge 3 window coupe. Someone cut way to many coils off the stock front springs, does anyone know of any late model wrecking yard springs that will fit?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey . some Hambers were using Ford Aerostar springs.... anyone remember the thread..I have the same car... updated my front suspension..stock suspension is excellent for cruising...heavier sway bar ,relocation upper shock mount to the frame makes a big difference in ride and handling..good luck

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

About any 6 cylinder Plymouth or Dodge front springs from ‘49 thru ‘56 would be adequate if you happen onto a parts car somewhere. Likely some earlier year models as well would work better than what you have now.

For new, i’d suggest starting by measuring the outside diameter of the coil and the diameter of the wire used to make the coil. The original length is the unknown. That could be rough estimated by jacking up the car, allowing full drop of the A arm, and measuring the space between the upper and lower spring seats. Add about an inch or inch and a half max to that measurement and you will be close.

There are numerous internet sites where you might find charts of spring dimension specifications along with a part number OT application. Try MOOG, Rock Auto, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, etc.

Also, a truck spring shop may be able to point you in the right direction. Lastly, Eaton Detroit Spring, in Detroit, MI can no doubt supply what you need. They are advertisers in most/all hot rod related magazines and have a website.

4. Dchaz

Dchaz

The car was a driver in the 80s but has sat for a long time. SBC/auto. Who ever had it before him tried to put a glue in windshield, a tilt column ( really sketchy at the box) trashed the wiring and cut the coils way to short. We wired it up enough to get it started and he wants to just get it on the road for the summer to see if he wants to keep it before upgrading the front end and dumping a lot of money in it this winter. [​IMG]

firstinsteele likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like the Dodge Business Coupe a bit more than the Plymouth version as the Dodge has the slanted ‘B’ pillar. That said, I’ve had two Plymouth’s and no Dodges. o_O

6. 53 hemi

53 hemi

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Aerostar coils have long been recognized for 49-59 Ford use.
    Here's a thread on Aerostars in Mopars. There's also mention in the thread of a bolt in fit for a Jeep Cherokee sway bar.
    Here's the thread where the OP shows pics of his car with uncut coils and with 1.5 turns removed. (Rule of thumb is 2" drop per coil turn removed).

I'd go the route of not cutting the coils, but dropping the lower control arm spring pockets to get a start at lowering the car while keeping full springs in it. If that's not quite enough, you can peel off a half coil at a time to dial in your ride height.

A quick part # run reveals they're about $60, so I'd go new and not mess with 20+ year old springs.
    Neat car. Get that steering and wiring in safe duty and enjoy it this season!!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/aerostar-springs-for-the-mopar-guys.806902/

Blownfuel and Hnstray like this.
  8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Both Kanter Auto parts www.kanter.com and Roberts Motor Parts www. have the new suspension parts you need. They both also have a paper catalog you can request. Also a good link for tech info it the Plymouth owners club www.plymouthbulletin.com. I have bought from both Kanter and Roberts with good results and have had a few tech questions responded to by the tech forum at Plymouth bulletin. Most parts interchange with Dodge & Plymouth of same years.
    Good luck, Jimie

9. Dchaz

Dchaz

Thank for the link. I knew the Aerostar work in the shoebox but wasn’t sure on dodge. I tried searching but couldn’t find it with my phone. He’s just wanting to drive it like it is this summer and tear it apart next winter.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

Might be worth looking at the spring pockets on the front A frames. Maybe the guy that cut too much off the springs also moved the spring pockets from where they were originally on top of the A frame to the bottom of the A frame.
    You would gain at least 1" of height if you can move the spring pocket back on top of the A frame if they are presently bolted under the A frame. Gene

11. Although I've had the car since 1971 I only recently did the upper shock mount relocation, the shocks are Munro PK14/1009 ...........my car has had the 1" sway bar & vented discs since the mid 1970's, also a rack & pinion since then.......the coil springs are 1955/56 Ford coils with one coil cut............regards from Oz............andyd

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG