Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The "Bonus Roll" From Lee Pratt

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The "Bonus Roll" From Lee Pratt

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Eric H, stinson, Okie Pete and 13 others like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

The thing about slides is it's easy to put them in backwards. ;) NWOD OL

Neat shots, and I remember the Merc convert and the 41 Ford. I also remember Lee's Buick.

Maybe the other Merc was shot for a feature in Classic & Custom.

OG lil E likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Funny you should mention that. As part of the process of getting these usable, I had to scan with the non-sticky side down. Of course, the sticky side was different on each strip... So half of these shots were backwards when I first uploaded them.

4. Wow! Those are incredible!

5. Thank you for the extra effort so we could enjoy these. I look forward to the Buick roll.

6. El Pratt

El Pratt

I guess I should have looked at those slide rolls a little closer, I thought they were images of the Mid America Nationals in addition to my old Buick. These images are from the first Leadsled Spectacular In Wichita, Ks. I don't recall the Mercury but the group shot is Larry Purcell (41 Ford), Mick Ellis, (40 Merc), Bob Johnson, (40 Merc), and yours truly with the Buick. Sorry for the condition, glad you were able to use them.

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for sharing the kool pics. Wow what a time warp..... 1981 is when I entered Kustom Kemps of America's first Spectacular, what a life changer. That weekend introduced me to Kustoms and I fell in love with 49-51 Mercs, 39,40 Mercs and 41 Buicks & Fords. What a kool show and on the way home I lost interest in my '57 Nomad. I caught crazy about a Mercury blues. It took me a while but I finally got a chopped Merc.

When Lee Pratt drove the Buick into the show it just dropped my jaw. I was going to Tri Chevy shows and wasn't use to seeing kustoms. The two tone purple with the flake top was a work of moving art.

Thanks again for sharing the pics.

8. Those shots of Low & Lovely were indeed used for the feature in Classic & Custom Magazine. I believe they were shot in 1981. Definitely in Wichita! The brown square building in the background is the Kansas Coliseum where the first Spectacular was held.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    John B, loudbang, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  9. Torchie

Torchie

Great Pics and great Job on preserving them Ryan.
    Thank you!
    Torchie

straykatkustoms likes this.
  10. Here's a page from the Classic & Custom article. (originally posted by @OG lil E

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, stanlow69, DANSLED and 6 others like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hot damned...

And Lee, don't you dare apologize... Working on these slides has been the highlight of my 2019 thus far. It's been a ton of fun for all sorts of reasons.

John B, loudbang, OG lil E and 7 others like this.
  12. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Thanks for sharing your photos Lee and thanks Ryan for putting the work in so that we can see them. Great shots.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes way cool. Thanks.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic!

15. BLAKE

BLAKE

#leeprattrules

Killer work, RYAN... sooo good!!

OG lil E, straykatkustoms and Stogy like this.
  16. sololobo

sololobo

what a treat to see this vintage treasure, thanx for sharing Lee, and thanx boss for your efforts to let us see them

straykatkustoms and Stogy like this.
  17. Yes, that is the first (1981) KKOA Spectacular held in Wichita. I drove my 40 Merc and was very privileged to be photographed in such great company. Made many good friends there.
    I have a bunch of photos from that run I hope to get scanned one of these days.
    Thanks Lee and Ryan!

Mick

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's really nice to see the Traditional Customs amongst the landscape of major changes in styling that occurred over those years.

Timeless...and Easy on the eyes...thanks @El Pratt & @Ryan and the others for their input and dotting i's & t's...;)

19. Curt Six

Curt Six

These are priceless. Can't wait to see the shots of the sedanette. Maybe they'll spur Lee on to recreate that car, too.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Great photos! I remember when Lee use to bring his 41 Buick to DesMoines for Leadsleds and later Goodguys. The 40 Merc with the Carson top belonged to Council Bluff, Iowa native Bob Johnson who passed a few years back. I miss Bob. Great guy.

Stogy and OG lil E like this.
  21. Wow, those are some great shots, man! Dig the group shot of the four customs together!
    The shots of Ernie Roth's Mercury are pretty rare. Ernie's car was somewhat famous in it's day, but more so for the burgundy version. Shots of it in red aren't as common. Either version is way cool. I would have loved to have seen this car in person.
    Here are a few shots of Ernie's car in the second version courtesy of @KustomLincolnLady and Scott Pavey.

Ernie Roth Merc b  KLL.jpg

Ernie Roth Merc c SPC.jpg

Also, here's a link to the discussion we had about Ernie's car on the "What Ever Happened To..........?" thread. Ernie's car was W.E.H.T. #5. E

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-4

22. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Nice trowback. And regarding Iowa and customs: I have about 50 to 100 slides i took at Lead Slead Spectacular in Davenport in 89. Any interrest?. They are mounted in frames so it must be shot of the shot on canvas. I ev. have to check how they turn out first...and where they are. Ive moved acouple of five times since :)

John B and OG lil E like this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Totally Bitchin '

stanlow69 likes this.
  24. John B

John B

\

Any interest? I'm sure I speak for a few others on here when I say HECK YEAH!

stanlow69, Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  25. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's mention of photos; I only see one--and that is the group of customs in the first share.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Scan0104.jpg Scan0103.jpg The late Bob Johnsons 40 Merc is alive and well in Wisconsin. It was one of the first custom I saw as a little kid. It is one of my top 5 customs of all time.

OG lil E, Sancho and John B like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Lee`s Buick was at the Street Rod Nationals in Minnesota when I saw it first. More than likely, it inspired me to install hydraulics on my car when I was 16(see avatar). 33 years ago. Scan0600.jpg

28. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you could save the film . Great Job Ryan

OG lil E, Sancho and stanlow69 like this.