Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A sign of good times?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oj, Apr 20, 2019.

1. oj

oj

Just glancing thru the 'Traditional' Forum and it is packed with build threads. I don't think I've ever seen as many. It must be a good sign, like the economy is getting better and we have a few extra dollars to invest?

LOU WELLS, lothiandon1940 and ABONES like this.
  2. Note to self, join this"WE" group:D.

XXL__, LOU WELLS, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Where do I sign up for this "we". Maybe I can get rid of old Murphy.:D

4. Optimism is a good friend unless reality kicks his ass!:D;)

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

I was thinking the opposite. I just lost my job, third shift is totally gone but now I have time to put some of my cars together that I collected parts for when I had a job. So I was thinking if they are in the same boat as me they have the time to play now.

People don't have the money for a new car or after seeing sticker shock thought it is better to build something in their price range?

Price of entertainment type of events lately I would rather be entertained and satisfied in my own garage. At least it would make me feel like I accomplished something and spent less money than going out every night.

I am lucky though. My supervisor and support manager at my last job both went to Harley and told me anytime I wanted a job to call them that they will give me one. Must have made an impression on them at work. Told them I am taking the summer off to play but they might here from me right before winter. So I do have an out if needed and other options I am also considering but lots of people don't have a clue where their next job will be.

I really don't think it is getting better out there but worse with amazon destroying this country. So many stores are closing or cutting so far back it is scary.

6. F&J

F&J

Good attitude. Hopefully you can squeak by as far as having enough funds to pull that off, because free time seems to be undervalued by too many people in this modern world.

as far as going out, it does not cost much in gas to take a vintage car out at the end of the day to local free places like recreation trails, or lakes. I have been doing that for over a year and the countless people you will meet there are also out enjoying simple things like enjoying nature and taking time to "smell the roses". Driving there in an old car makes people drop their guard and start conversations about the better things in life, not negative stuff.

we are born into a brainwashed world where we are forced to spend our best years in school and then trapped at a never ending job schedule with only a couple of weeks off. Then at some point, "it's over".
    Grab the moment.

burl, MO54Frank, RMR&C and 1 other person like this.
  7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Care to elaborate a little on your reasoning? Several years ago it was Walmart destroying the country, wasn't it?

impala4speed and Texas Webb like this.
  8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Projects Make Us Invent Funding... DSCN2000.JPG

9. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Seems to me if the economy is so good, why are companies still closing or going overseas. It may have gotten better for some, but for the average guy or gal swinging a lunchbox and hittin’ a time clock, I don’t think so........just sayin’

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    impala4speed, LOU WELLS and F&J like this.
  10. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. What he said.!

11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

alot of debbie downers. it's the same old story. some its getting better ,some its getting worse. someone is to blame. walmart ,amazon, etc. like always we make the best of it. if life is good for you enjoy, just don't over do it. if life is rough right now it will get better. always does. make the best of it. enjoy family. happy easter.

gas & guns, Jibs, partsdawg and 5 others like this.
  12. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Winning!! 3-4 month unpaid vacation. Cool.

Texas Webb likes this.
  13. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Not blaming anybody, just calling it as I see it. As for me, life is good for an old retired guy who doesn’t have to worry with the lunch box and time clock anymore. But for the majority of Americans that lunch box and time clock is a way of life. Sad part about it, it was stable and reliable when we baby boomers were growing up in the 50’s & 60’s, not any longer.

impala4speed, MO54Frank and loudbang like this.
  14. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I haven’t had a few extra dollars since I got back into projects! But good times oh yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

hate the big companies having monoplies on everything. doesn't bother me personally, i shop local for the most part. . just cuts out small local companies. that bothers me,but has been that way a long time. i have been slower this quarter but picking up again. funding for the hobby has been better than in the past. more projects to do. will have build thread of my own before long. hope everyone has some fun this and keep posting. the car hobby is alive and well.

egads and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  16. Before this get's shit canned with naming names of companies and such.........
    We can all get our asses in the garage to do something..... Even cleaning is free for you cheap bastards!
    Build threads= yes- more and more, which is good, and guy's are posting up. I'm guilty of no build up threads, but you'de all die in the time I take.... LOL. I make progress steadily, but not enough to support a thread.
    NOW- get off your asses, and go do something! You've got time to sit on your ass and type, how about go to the garage/shop and get something done? Before you Q here- I've going back out for another 4hrs.......
    Do it/make it happen/don't bitch!

17. Damn good attitude!!!!

18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Well in the last 4 to 6 months we have definitely had an increase in jobs at the shop. More people are definitely spending more money on fixing and maintaining their cars.

We've done more lift kits on trucks (which I consider a luxury item) in the last 9 months vs the previous 16 or so months before that.

I guess it just depends on where you live and what you do for a living.

egads and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

No need to name companies, not the place for it. Opinions as they say are like buttholes we all have them. As for me, I had just come in from the garage to eat dinner and check the Hamb. and will go back out shortly. I guess the nice thing about these I phones is we can work on our project and type on the Hamb.too, if so inclined.................What a Country!!!!!

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Maybe you are right about people spending more money but that doesn't mean they really have that money to spend. I read much about the debt loads people are taking on. We are about to lose third shift at the Windsor assembly plant that builds the mini van putting 1700 people out of work.