Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Got my first Coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Apr 21, 2019.

1. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I fell into a deal I couldn’t pass up. Its a super solid body, but glass fenders. It came with some really nice front fenders and I found rears. Now just to figure out what color to paint the car. I really like the blue it is, but my wife loves Córdoba Tan. Also it is a 350/350 combo with Mustang ll front. I have a 57 Nailhead that’s all rebuilt, or should I put a flatty in it? Decisions decisions.... 3E031C1D-AB29-4BE0-90E0-0889349739A0.jpeg 4AB5F509-12E0-455F-A205-9DF14700FB1D.jpeg E6BA8889-DE32-47CB-B722-D2D2327CFB83.jpeg

clem, Bandit Billy, Dave Mc and 12 others like this.
  2. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

i say leave it just as it is. Super dependable and looks perfect.

clem, Tim, Hollywood-East and 5 others like this.
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

leave well enough alone - as my Grand Mother used to sat

Lil32, raven and Stogy like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Enjoy It! Bitchen.

raven likes this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Drive it the way it is until it breaks or gets smashed! You will probably get the next 20 years of enjoyment out of it. You take it apart to change those things you mentioned and it will take you, maybe, 5 years before you start to enjoy it!

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I wouldn’t change a thing. Not even the color.

raven and Stogy like this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you have a bug to get the exact car on your mind, do it to a car that needs its.
    On this one your throwing around good money that would be better served on a project coupe.
    Nice car by the way.

raven likes this.
  8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The pictures make the paint look MUCH better than it is. There are a lot of places that are peeling to bare metal (you can see on the A pillar if you look for it) . Several spots that touch ups are obvious and what little body work there was is all showing. I need to address the bare spots. So do I touch them up and keep the patina? Or cave and do a full paint job??? I could fauxtina the steel fenders to match.

9. F&J

F&J

run it all season as is after the quick touch up. You then won't be all worried about getting a nick or scratch and will probably drive it more, and to places you might not have if it was all mint.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and olscrounger like this.
  10. 55styleliner

55styleliner

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Hate anything associated with the word "patina". Just another way to say "poser" to me.

If you are going to paint it, change the color, change the engine, change the fenders.....why didn't you buy a different car to begin with? I say fix what needs fixin', make a few small personal taste changes and drive the crap out of it.

When I wanted a '32 5 window I shopped for 6 months trying to find one that didn't need a bunch of things changed. Couldn't find one with even half of what I wanted in a car so why would I pay for something I'm just going to rip apart? I started from scratch.

Nice looking car, good stance and I like the color. Not a fan of SBC myself. Do what ever you need to do to make it yours but you might have just paid a bunch of money for something you are going to throw away half of. Looks like you bought a well thought out, running and driving street rod when you really wanted a project car.

JMO,
    SPark

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  12. First and foremost, make the car your own.
    Understandable people have a hard time with taking a running driving car off the road, but so much about this hobby is the personal touches we do to them.
    I have a couple of my cars with flatheads, and they fit into the traditional HotRod vib well, but my vote would be for the nailhead.
    Cool car!

55styleliner likes this.
  13. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I would drive it exactly like it is.

raven likes this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

shorten up the exhaust pipes ,color match the body , then go for the tan interior to make the misses happy. nice score

belair and olscrounger like this.
  15. missysdad1

missysdad1

Ditch the echo cans, brush-touch the paint chips and drive it as-is. I am sick and f'in tired of "perfect" hot rods. This one's got some honest character and needs to be on the road as much as possible, not languishing under a blanket in the g'rage.

raven, alanp561 and olscrounger like this.
  16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4377.JPG Here is my vote!;):D
    Where is the car you got the seat from me for?
    Great looking car. One of my favorite body styles.
    Al

RollinRock and 55styleliner like this.
  17. 55styleliner

55styleliner

For those saying I should have started with a different car, I got this one for not much more than a solid project. I have plenty of room financially to paint and interior this car and not be upside down in it.

Hamtown Al, lurker mick and harpo1313 like this.
  18. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I sold the 36 Cabriolet Al. Just couldn’t get over all of the mud in the body of that car.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. 55styleliner

55styleliner

C4D0CB64-DD6F-4535-B496-006C99ED42BD.jpeg The interior is out of the 70’s. In a good way??? I don’t love it of hate it. It will stay like this for the time being.

cactus1 and Hamtown Al like this.
  20. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Really nice car. I’m with the repair the paint and lose the exhaust tips crowd.

21. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Spot in the repair areas, leave the hood closed and drive that bitch.
    Don't overthink it.

22. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

Listen to "aerocolor" That is good advice.

LBCD and Hamtown Al like this.
  23. brady1929

brady1929

Nice, thanks.

55styleliner likes this.
  24. Drive the wheels off, it looks great as is. HRP

55styleliner likes this.
  25. You will not be able to enjoy it right now, if you send it for paint.
    Start enjoying it and then see what happens.

55styleliner likes this.
  26. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

Get the shorter rear bumper brackets to move the rear bumper closer to the body. AND, shorten the tailpipes. If you want to leave the bumper where it is put the spare tire back on.

55styleliner likes this.
  27. LBCD

LBCD

As said before...touch it up and have fun. You scored.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

55styleliner likes this.
  28. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

That's a sweet ride man! It'd be cool to see a Nail Head in it.

55styleliner and Hamtown Al like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

That upholstery is outstanding! Black button tufted is the next big trend to come back. Be ahead of the crowd with your original stuff. If you are thinking of removing that, I would definitely be interested in it.

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with F&J and the rest of the crowd...run it as is for the season and enjoy it! Then tear it down for paint etc in a year or two. You'll get to know the car really well and make a list of all the quirks you're not comfortable with such as ride, steering, interior comfort, etc. You might even find you're good with the SBC.
    On weekends you're not driving it, you can spend some time in the garage cherrying out that set of steel fenders in preparation for paint.
    IMHO, 35/36 3/w Coupes look best in dark colors.