Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I ran the complete battery cable circuit for negative from battery to back of transmission with a second strap from there to the frame. I ran positive cable from battery to starter with a cut-off switch. Also added a 10 gauge wire from the battery connection at the starter to the alternator and a second 10 gauge wire to the main fuse panel.
    I also wired the ignition switch and ran ground strap from engine to the body. That should cover all major needed grounds. If it tightened them all down, it should start if it had any gas. Got to run power to electric fuel pump to fill the new gas line and prime the carbs. I think installing the gauge panel is next major piece of the puzzle.
    I'm also going to have to reengineer the transmission hump to clear the new transmission.
    Probably need to start thinking about mounting that radiator, too!
    Opportunities!

mad mikey likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

More progress on the shop. Lights and a switch installed and started roughing in the electrical. 20190419_223255.jpg 20190413_165722.jpg 20190413_165726.jpg

3. MMWW

MMWW

Took the heater box assembly I got off eBay a couple weeks ago apart. Sandblasted the main housing, the diverted vain and the defrost splitter. Than etched primed all the above. I dropped the heater core off at radiator shop. Unfortunately it’s shot.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That truck is extremely well done, brought back memories of my Dad's. Thanks.

61Cruiser and mad mikey like this.
  5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Butt, in the end, they can be life saving

X-cpe and alanp561 like this.
  6. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Know the JB Weld is super strong and will work. Gettin’ the filling back in straight is another thing. Thinking about how you will have to retrieve it!!!!

7. I finished my license plate tag bracket modifications and mounted it on the old beater, unfortunately the boss ladys van didn't crank this morning and she drove my pickup to work, my camera is in the truck, photo's later. HRP

8. nothing......

9. Go to the local pharmacy and look for a temporary filling material. They actually sell a product for that purpose until you can get to a dentist.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got it, and good thing cause it's a crown. I'll spare you the details..

0420190917_HDR_resized.jpg

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  11. I fear it may have taken a trip through your dogs digestive tract o_O time to go to the dentist, he may be able to put it back in place. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  12. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Visited the 30 Model A Roadster yesterday. First visit since January. Last driven in the Vet's Day parade in November. Too much time has passed, but the weather prevented more. I swapped out the windshield. I have two; one is a deluxe folding type and I use it when the top is installed, the other is a solid type that I shortened and have installed a short windshield for the chopped look. Cleaned up the rod and then took it for a nice cruise around town and around the Plaza. Then, returned it to its storage place and will try and enjoy it much more often now that the weather is warmer and it is not snowing. Also, need to get the carb jetted for our 7,000 foot altitude. It is running too rich. A fellow Hamber has agreed to help with the right jets and metering rods. Plan on showing it at the next Plaza Cruise In in May. JWL

Update: Since so many here share photos, here is one of the Roadster with the folding windshield. IMG_0306.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  13. Get that sucker glued back in ,you will a real true permanante "shit eaten grin"

alanp561 likes this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

The boys and I headed over to my buddy Steve's place and grabbed the 49 Olds he just bought so we could haul it back to the shop. It's gonna need lots of love but it's a fastback and should be pretty cool when done. After he priced rebuilding the front shocks and disc brakes etc..He decided on a 69 nova front clip, so I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend. I've done several on 55-59 chevy pickups but never an Olds, Talked with Hamber Marty Strode and checked out his post's on his Olds looks like it shouldn't be too bad:D

15. mopacltd

mopacltd

Installed chrome valve covers on the Hemi Model A, rear brake job on "non friendly" Pro Street Cheby and installed new tarps on Carport tent. Man, I am worn out! Time for an adult beverage.

16. mopacltd

mopacltd

Lumpy63, watch out for that Stevie guy. He is a CAR NUT!

17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

So Chuck... How did you let your brother escape with those early M/T hemi valve covers he has hanging on the wall?

18. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Installed a new crate engine in the old 48; now I've been racking up some miles to break it in. Those crate engines sure have low oil pressure, instructions say it should have 20 psi at 2000 rpms. DSCN3334.JPG Found out that my oil pressure sender was bad. Installed a direct reading gauge and the pressure is over 50 psi and about 30 or 35 psi at idle. That is sure a relief, engine sounds good.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  19. brianf31

brianf31

Used a '66 Mustang roof as an insert on my A coupe.

Roof_front.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and alanp561 like this.
  20. Not exactly today but this week
    About 10 students spent Sunday evening finishing up our electric race cars. We finished second on Monday. We raced at the Barbers Indy track in Birmingham. Students handled pit duties and drove the cars.
    Tuesday and Wednesday was Skills competition Thousands of students competing in hands on skills, construction, automotive, collision, electrical, HVAC, robotics, woodworking, IT, diesel...........
    I didn’t have a winner from my class this time but we did great.
    After competition we visited shops and talked with dozens of recruiters from various industries.

21. Our college host the regional skills competition next week, I judge at the provincial and national competitions as well. It’s a great thing to get young people involved.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

osage orange and anthony myrick like this.
  22. May be trivial to many, but when a person has been chained to their desk for the better part of 6 months and can't get into the workshop, even the mundane tasks become something to relish. To wit - I passed on going to the swap meet at Speedway Motors this morning and finally got to change the oil and antifreeze in my 3 hobby cars this afternoon before I fire them up for the year, plus take one out for a short test drive. All have been neglected for at least a couple of years because of my work load, so catching a breather to drain out the nasty, acidic fluids and replace with fresh was a big relief for my mind, though I still have to start and move around two of the cars. Maybe next weekend...or I may need to actually flush, drain and refill. IDK.

UNSHINED 2 and alanp561 like this.
  23. Checked over the engine in the 41 for a mysterious oil leak I noticed at the end of last year, couldn't find it then and still can't find it. Ran the bolts around the end plates, drive, Isky triangle, thermostat housing and radiator hose clamps, probably light it off in a couple days for the first time this year. 20190420_171131.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and lumpy 63 like this.
  24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Cars and Coffee this morning. Mostly off-topic stuff.
    2019 04 20 - Cars and Coffee.jpg
    Paul Herbert's Studebaker. He used to be active here, I can not remember his HAMB name.

I did see some nice work on a 54 Chevy low rider and some neat customizing details on a Karmen Ghia.

UNSHINED 2, alanp561 and lumpy 63 like this.
  25. jazz1

jazz1

On closer inspection the shallow oil pan i been saving for years to install is for a V8??? And then the bushing on oil pump shaft broke, and I had to make a tool to install a shorter oil tube pickup. So everything is going as I would expect.
    Parts ordered....

Attached Files:

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  26. mopacltd

mopacltd

Lumpy, Steve has bunch of cool stuff stashed away in his garage!

27. The tag bracket turned out pretty good. HRP

[​IMG]

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I sold an LP record for $60.00 less postage. I need to go to the town dump more often. :) Bob

slv63 likes this.
  29. 62rebel

62rebel

Finally replaced the floor in my shed/workshop (12 years on) and replaced the flat roof with a sloped one (the flat roof started leaking a couple of years after I built it). Threw out so many ruined things and still have more to purge.

30. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Built a cab mount for the Unibody, Its not as simple as it looks. The cab floor has a slope to it and the mount kind of wings forward a little from the lower door pillar where it mounts......just have spray the inside and cab floor with weld thru primer and Im calling it a day! 20190420_141623.jpg 20190420_141702.jpg 20190421_213611.jpg 20190421_213636.jpg 20190421_213729.jpg 20190421_213948.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.