Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest American graffiti hot rods/Lead sleds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Eddy30, Apr 19, 2019.

1. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I was watching for like 50th time 3am .
    I was wondering /thinking if any HAMBer used there car or truck or them selves Appear in the movie ,or any other hot rod or race Movie, I"m Sure all the vehicles used where not set owned .
    If so , any Stories to share ?
    Good or Bad ( on set - filming)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a couple of threads on here about movie cars and allowing / renting ones car out for filming. The general consensus was prepare for it to be trashed. Sometimes with restitution.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Inquiry asking about cars in the background not the featured cars / vehicles, HAMB members ,Vehicles they owned when movie made , Not after .
    Older movies before 1973 (B movies )

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Not for lack of a try ! Ya,another true story from me !
    Being a teen with my 28 Bobtailed roadster hotrod in Miami/Coconut Grove, Florida in 1960. I saw a new show come on TV,,"Surfside 6" in Miami Beach, that was like 77 Sunset Strip with the cool as all hell Cookie Car { Norm's hot rod T}. I really liked these shows!!
    But this show Surfside 6, was close to me,so I thought !
    I drove my hotrod over to Miami Beach,looking for the film crew making "Surfside 6",with my young nutty naive idea,if they saw my hotrod,it may get into the show.
    Come to find out most of the filming,other then very few shots actully done in Miami,that most of the show was done in the studio's backlots in Los Angeles. { I'm going to say,I was there,they just didn't show up LOL ! }
    Not every dream becomes real !,but I still have an drive the same hotrod I had in high school !
    Best part is at some shows,a pretty young gal will ask to get in ! ! 2015july3show.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019

5. JJK

JJK

I would like to see a prequel to American graffiti, a young Milner hanging around the saltflats, see the street racing cars run that were in the junkyard scene, maybe even seeing Kustom shops. There's so many cars from that era that are cloned or saved that would make great background cars.

enloe, Lil32, 19Eddy30 and 6 others like this.
  6. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

One of my favorites is Hollywood Knights . I think it was better than American Graffiti..:cool: post-4110-0-70233400-1387216066.jpg

enloe, juan motime, hfh and 2 others like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

^Modern version of Candy Clark?!^

enloe, dana barlow, triman62 and 3 others like this.
  8. Good question. Yes I am about the same age as Ron Howard and no I did not appear in the movie nor did anything that I owned at the time or since.
    Lucas did not own all the cars in the movie. Most of the time when a movie is filmed there are cars that appear that do not belong to the production, they are like actors that are extras, if someone local has something that can use they are either used and reimbursed or used and can say that they are in the movie.

I was not in that movie but when I was a little kid they were filming a movie about some motorcycle guys and some of the scenes were filmed in San Francisco. Me and my friends rode our bicycles up to watch a fight scene being filmed and you can see a blurb of us on the sidelines with our bicycles. You have to know to look or you'll miss is. LOL

enloe, 19Eddy30, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. ..............Little did we know, 'beaner, that you were a movie star.:D;)

enloe, dana barlow, 19Eddy30 and 2 others like this.
  10. Yea I have had my 15 minutes in the sun. I can die happy now. LOL

enloe, RusTnut, 19Eddy30 and 3 others like this.
  11. evintho

evintho

My girlfriends, mom's Edsel was one of the 'non-featured' cars in AG. Several of the kids in the sockhop scene were my high school classmates. The sockhop was filmed at my high school gym. Kathy Quinlan (Steve's girlfriend) used to sit in front of me in history class. Myself and several members of our car club were in a couple of scenes that were filmed on San Rafael's 4th street, all decked out in our car club jackets however, all those scenes were left on the cutting room floor!
    The best part is, after the filming of AG, me and a couple of friends were given the opportunity to buy both Milner's coupe and the black '55 for $1500 each. The movie hadn't been released yet so we had no idea how popular the cars were going go become and as a 17 year old kid in the early 70's $1500 might as well been $1 million!

enloe, RusTnut, 19Eddy30 and 6 others like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

My old Fargo pickup appeared in a movie called The Michelle Apartments. I ended up driving because their guy could not drive a 3 on the tree. Drove up the main street with the back full of Shriners waving sparklers.

To me the biggest laugh was that I got paid more for my old pickup, than guys with much more valuable cars like an original hemi challenger lol.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a disappointment for me was how long it takes to do scenes. i sat at the local quarry for a whole afternoon watching them film an episode of "route 66." that whole afternoon of shooting wound up being maybe 5 minutes in the show!

14. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I know you guys were asking about cars for older movies but I did spend a few days on location for the filming of “The Finest Hours” which was filmed in south eastern Massachusetts about 4 years ago. The movie was about a offshore rescue due to some ships being stranded off the coast of Massachusetts in the early 50’s. They had me driving my 40 Ford Pickup. Not sure how much if any of it ended up in the final movie though, I never did see the film.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and 19Eddy30 like this.
  15. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I remember Cindy Williams as Steve's girlfriend. Kathy Quinlan was one of the girls in the bathroom scene talking to Cindy Williams. She drove the Edsel four door sedan.

dana barlow, clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Is that it in the background behind the F-1?
    i916521.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is the movie biz. In my case they shut down the main street of our small town of Port Hope for the night. Began shooting at sundown, my scene was finished just as the sun came up. So, sitting around all night then 20 minutes to film the scene 4 times.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. JimSibley

JimSibley

Great idea!

dana barlow likes this.
  19. 6sally6

6sally6

20. My uncle's Graham is in The Natural, and my buddies 49 merc is in a Johnny Depp movie...Cry Baby I think.
    Me and my cars, not so much... I was in the paper once....but not in a good way...lol

enloe, j-jock, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

The only movie I have been filmed in with one of my Hot Rod's ( that I know of) Police officer body cam ,
    And was ask if it was safe to drive ,
    I did a pull one night (2am) on a bridge , seen him lite me up about 80 , killed motor pulled into parking lot jumped out started missing with motor ,
    Linkage stuck!!!;)
    Not in town No More

enloe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Several years ago I was a member of a car club near Chicago. Someone was going to film a movie and were looking for a couple specific cars to use in the movie. The production company had sent a letter to the car club asking if anyone that had a car like they were looking for to contact them for more info. No one in the club had a car like they were looking for, so we never heard any of the details.

There is a guy in my hometown that has a fully restored 49 Plymouth 4 door sedan. His car was in the movie about Gen George Patton returning home after the war. Actor Gregory Peck rode in the back seat of the car and it was in several seens in the movie. It was the pail blue Plymouth. The guy had several documents proving his car was in the movie, and he had an autographed picture of Mr Peck in his car.
    The same guy also has a restored 40 Plymouth convert that has been in a WWII movie, but that movie wasn't as big as the Patton movie, and was filmed a couple years later then the Patton movie. I suppose once "they" get your number and use your ride, they call you if they need something else. Gene

dana barlow and 19Eddy30 like this.
  23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I had my old Fargo in an ad health insurance targeted to the St Paul Mn area as well as Christmas Story II.
    Can be a very boring day but they pay.

24. Never had any of our cars in movies or shows. I am currently president of my local camaro club and we often get emails and letters from production companies looking for cars. Have had members in various commercials and a few tv shows. Oddest one was a Chevy commercial for Mexico that was filmed on the Oregon coast.

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Story parts that could be in movies.
    We have a good number of cars to use now too.
    I would liked a good companion movie to AG ,not a sequel { AG2 sucked } like Grease 2 sucked. So movie done in same time an way but another town,with some odd tie in of some kind;like DJ .or one of many things for a link . I also like a prequel idea. Too get the right idea of how to do one.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ck-in-your-day-local-car-hop-hangout.1041828/

This link is fun,for AG info.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    enloe, triman62 and j-jock like this.
  26. I had never seen the video on how the movie was cast and made. The video was entertaining and illuminating.
    When it first came out, I watched the movie with a bunch of 30 year old guys that I was working with at the airline. All were either ex air force or navy pilots, and all from different towns, but we shared the same experiences growing up. The movie sparked a lot of memories, and was fuel for a hell of an afterparty.
    Bob

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Dana you remind me of someone...

dana barlow likes this.
  28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

abetters2.jpg
    Robert J Palmer ,geez thanks LOL,but ya I'm 77 now. Geezer parts maybe. LOL

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  29. spanners

spanners

AG2 was fairly lame but I like fast forwarding to the dragracing bits.
    A serendipitous moment for me was a couple of months back I was travelling home from a day's drag racing. I looked across at the winners trophy sitting on the passenger seat and at that moment Green Onions came on the CD player. I kept a very good lookout for drunk drivers coming toward me.

enloe and dana barlow like this.