Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No glove compartment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

For the Deuce guys,find a Euro sedan dash and fit it in,They have 2 gloveboxes and still retain the center opening.I did that in a US bodied tudor I built in 1998.Here is a pic of an original.

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

No glove box, build one!
    1934 Ford p/u, pull out glove box....................
    DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

4. Now that is pretty ingenious!

Ignore the pun but that is thinking outside the box. :D HRP

5. mount an old milk box behind the seats, painted and pinstriped it would look cool.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. My dad always had an old flashlight hung on the column (or somewhere on his bike same deal) with everything important stuffed inside.

California had a law that your registration had to be visible and they actually made a little pouch that you could put your registration in that had a little window for it to show that wrapped around your visor or steering column. He said it was NUNYA (he was a kind of a revel believe it or not :eek::p) so he did it his way and said if they wanted to know they could ask him. But most people used the little pouch. You can probably still find one if you look around.

I still do the flashlight deal on my bike, most of my cars have a glove box still.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Emerson pegged people like you my friend ~ The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. :D HRP

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In the late '50s, CA. had a law that newly purchased (used) vehicles had to display the registration in the passenger side windshield! That was until the permanent reg arrived in the mail.
    A nice policeman walking the beat downtown asked where my temp reg was on my '36 five window. I replied that advertising where the car 'lived' was helping out thieves that might want to steal it.
    He thought that sounded like...'sound judgement', but told me to 'tape it in there' when I got home.
    I did tape it on the inside windshield, but reasoned that if I covered the address, my '36 would be 'safe'. Then, I further reasoned that if my name was visible, all they had to do was look me up in the phone book...I was the only one then with my last name. Out came the white strip of paper, and I covered both.
    Finally, I deduced that the '36 was infinitely recognizable, and everybody in town knew whose it was...
    The temp reg was then scotch taped in place, as the law required. :)

Jim Bouchard and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. In my travels on the 'net, I save the ideas and concepts that might be handy someday. This shelf arrangement is one I filed away for later. It looks like wicker with maybe a basketweave bottom?? But it would be simple enough to make one with your own twist. It could be handy to temporarily hold items on the particular day and trip, and maybe snaps or belts to hold a zipper pouch for the paperwork, etc.
    wicker.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like revels mmmm :D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revels_(confectionery)
    untitled.png

11. My old VW had a wicker tray under the dash also. HRP

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  12. I like it, but in todays day and age is it really a good idea to be reaching in a pistol holster on a traffic stop?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Mike

Mike

Running the license plate number in the computer will only get the police officer information about the owner of the car. That won't tell them who is driving the car, they must check the driver's ID to determine who is driving.

Would you like the receive a notice in the mail for a "pre-printed" ticket in your name because your buddy who borrowed the car or the thief who stole your car was speeding and the police just assumed it was you driving?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. ahshoe

ahshoe

I came up what I think works well in my 32 . I have an old CD holder .the kind that straps to your sun visor...holds several important papers. If no viser hang it from a main wiring loom that heads to the right side of the car under the dash.

15. My main objective is to have the documents readily available to comply with the states laws & not to make the officer any jumpier than they already are when pulling over a car, especially at night. HRP

norms30a and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I was trained that during a traffic stop you dont move your hands off the wheel with out explaining your intent and waiting for permission/acknowledgment from the officer at your window.
    Chappy

17. I fully agree with you I am respectful and ask permission to take my seatbelt off and reach in my pocket for my wallet,
    and I have three friends who are police officers (and all 3 are H.A.M.B. members)
    However there are people who are not like us and would argue, fight, or do worst to a police officer. (I witnessed someone go crazy on a New York State Trooper when the Trooper simply asked him to turn his radio down) Which has caused the police to have to be very guarded and in a split second something as innocent as reaching for paperwork in a holster particularly at night could be mistaken for something else.

I really like your idea, but as I said we live in crazy times.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. I had a convertible with no functioning glove box so i used a small thin Tupperware type container under the seat. It kept things from blowing around and also kept the paperwork dry.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Dman

Dman

I saw photos where they had an old 3 pocket mail bag mounted up under the dash on the firewall. I always thought that was a good idea and it had some vintage advertising on it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Dman

Dman

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Dman

Dman

Nail not mail.

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Dman

Dman

23. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Nail not mail.

HOTRODPRIMER and Blue One like this.
  24. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

They're in my wallet as well.

Don't know about other states, but in Minnesota we have what's called a cab card for the registration, it's just a small piece of paper that I can fold in half and it fits easily.

The boating industry has a variety of products designed to hold boat registration papers, they're basically a little waterproof vial. Some can be hung on a keychain.

Does your car have a trunk? Keep the papers in there if nothing else works.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. I keep mine in a zip lock bag in the pocket in my kick panel.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Wisdom right here.

27. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I made one that fits under the dash on the roadster I'm building. The door is a 26-27 Model T cowl vent door painted body color. Rolled a box to shape, welded a back into it, hinged it at the bottom, cut up a 37 Ford felt glove box liner, magnetic touch latch. Sorry the pics are so poor.
    glovebox1.jpeg glovebox2.jpeg glovebox2.jpeg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

I put the necessary paperwork in a manila envelope, attached a magnetic Bulldog Clip at each end and stuck it to the inside of the quarter panel in the trunk.
    Bulldog Clips.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I found this old school lunch pail in the attic of the last house I owned, that was 25 years ago now.

Thought it was cool and saved it. When I built the car I used it for my glove box, it’s screwed to the floor behind the shifter.

Cliff Ramsdell
    8ED52D6E-41F4-439F-9D6C-040F7B56B98A.jpeg

scotty t, brigrat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.