Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '57 Chevy Posi Clutch Pack

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Widowmaker XXX, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Widowmaker XXX

Widowmaker XXX

I have a '57 Posi rear end in my roadster, at least that's what my research shows. In rebuilding the clutch assembly, I located a set of plates and discs for it online. Everything was going well until it came time to install the new clutch packs. The discs won't fit the splined axle hubs. The OD and tooth count appear to be correct. However, the pitch of the teeth prevent the discs from sliding over the hub. The replacement pack is a Dana Spicer 22233X. It's claimed to be for a 57-64 Posi. It included 4 flat plates, 2 Bellville plates, and 4 discs. Mine does not use the Bellville plates. According to the original setup in the shop manual, from the outside of the carrier, is: plate/disc/disc/plate. That's the way mine was upon disassembly. The Bellville plates are optional to increase preload, and they are included to reduce inventory overlap. I also ran across a Dana Spicer number of 22719X, and a GM #3865208.
    Any input is welcome.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Subscribed, I am about to order a bearing kit, and clutch kit of the same (dana 22233X) There is a guy on the corvetteforum that always uses the dana kit, wonder what the gitch is?? thumbnail - 2019-04-05T212234.272.jpg thumbnail - 2019-04-05T212224.694.jpg

3. Widowmaker XXX

Widowmaker XXX

If I can't use any of this kit, you're welcome to the whole pack. I can't return it...

4. Widowmaker XXX

Widowmaker XXX

These are the measurements: old discs 3.70" OD, .95" thick, splines 2.185" max ID, 1.950 min ID. The new discs are the same, except for the OD of 3.52". The new ones are that much smaller. The photos show the discs stacked, side by side, and fitted to the spline hub. It's obvious the new discs won't slide over the hub. Since the important dimensions are identical, the only thing I can conclude is the machining on the tooth pitch is somehow incorrect. By the way, I'm 99% certain this is a '57 rear end. I bought the kit online, so I can't return it.

Attached Files: