Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No glove compartment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 15, 2019.

1. We discussed making a pouch in the door, and Dave talked about using some type of elastic around the top but having seen what that looks like on a friends car after several years his looks like a stretched out tee shirt I nixed the idea. HRP

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's why the pouch with the flap looks nice, however there is the need to hold it up while reaching into it.
    There's always a trade off.

3. Larry, that design really appeals to me and it never occurred to me or Dave when we were talking about incorporating a pouch in the door, At this stage of the game taking the door panel off and adding the pouch is not a option.

It does look good, is that for your new build? HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I keep mine in a plastic baseball card holder under the floor mat.

5. Jokester

Jokester

A better question is: where do you keep your gloves???

.bjb

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey Danny, No, it's just a picture I pulled from the Learning upholstery thread.
    I liked it.
    Too bad you can't add them to your doors, it would look nice.
    I'm not sure if I will use the idea on my RPU, the door panels are pretty small but maybe :)

7. Having spent the last 30 years with the old beater and having no heat and interior you can assure when needed they were on my hands! :D HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  8. Lil Oly

Lil Oly

You don't need to show registration in Minnesota anymore. Other states it's still required.
    I think plate readers and computers have changed this.
    They know if you have a outstanding warrant and who the car is registered to before they get out of their car.
    I still have reg. and insurance card in a small plastic bag in each vehicle. In the door or the console.
    Second ins. card in my wallet with DL. No need to be digging though compartments.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have pics all of insurance cards on my cell phone. I posted this pic yesterday on the fire extinguisher page but you can see the registration on the column. Eric "Hot Rod Leather" made this one for me. I'll have him make another for my truck when he is up and around. I had the leather holder prior to ordering the column and I left enough room for it between the column drop and the tack cup.
    upload_2019-4-16_7-54-9.png

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wherever you decide to keep them, make sure you can get them in your hands immediately and have both hands on top of the steering wheel and in plain view, before the law arrives at your window. You don't want to be digging around furiously and in a panic looking for them. A policeman has no idea what you're doing and will think the worst, just because it's his butt if you were looking for a gun. Always look at a situation from the other guy's perspective. Just sayin'.......

11. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Hi Brent,
    Way back ? I had one of those on the steering column in my 1937 Lincoln Zephyr coupe. In fact, that is the only thing I have left that was used in or on the LZ !
    I wish I still had the LZ !!!
    I guess I'm showing my age because I owned it from 1961 through 1976 !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds silly but here in Calif an Officer will know more about you and your car than you'll probably ever know by just entering you licence plate which they don't enter nor do to a camera in the front of the car does it for them.
    I think it's just a formality and I haven't been stopped for 15-16 years.

I think it's pretty dumb today as they could walk up with a pre-printed citation for you to sign and be gone. BBBUUUTTT they need to look in your car, and give them a "new" excuse and you hope for the best going over the limit...

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

X2 on the law enforcement comment by TagMan.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

For the 'sagging bag syndrome': Research the small diameter long stainless pull springs. NOT 'strings', but springs. Perfect inside the binding at the top of the pocket, a flap sewn into the panel is the finishing touch.
    My F100 needs a glove box...but the cardboard ones are just not my idea of a handy cubbyhole. I built one from sheet aluminum, easily formed, and deep: goes clear to the firewall. I could pack 4 Colt Peacemakers...if I were so inclined.
    Not yet installed, but in the meantime I have an old steering post 'wrap' with insurance and registration card...it's wrapped around the bracket above my rear view mirror.
    LOL As cops never seem to look 'up', it's ironic that 'their business' would require them to look 'up' as I remove the cards...Previously, in my '56 Ford convert, I carried a .45 ACP in its WWII holster flapped over the 2nd top 'hoop'. Never spotted, all they had to do was look up. LOL (that was 1963, before all the laws against the 2nd.)

15. The first two pictures show the pouch in my AVATAR, first closed and then open.

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

My '31 RDPU uses a "dispatch box" in the passenger side quarter panel. These are available from suppliers such as Bratton's and fit 1930 to 1934 commercial vehicles. The last picture shows there is a recess in the door structure for a "30-'31 roadster or roadster pickup that can be used for a pouch similar to the one on my AVATAR.

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 9.51.25 AM.png

IMG_0982.jpg

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  16. In the 50s I put gloves in my glove box because I was pretty sure it was a law or somethin'.
    In the 60s there was a compartment in the dash for stashing a couple of condoms and a half-pint.
    In the 70s, due to wanderlust, I stashed roadmaps in there covering at least 17 states.
    In the 80s the "dash" held tissues and wet wipes to clean up unsanitary kids plus a bunch of weekly church bulletins.
    In the 90s pens, notebooks, journals for appointments/mileage/expenses made the "box" a mini-office on wheels.
    Fast forward to today and it seems the OP of my vehicle shaved the dash to make room for A/C, so I use my imagination to come up with various ways to carry tools, spare parts, and paperwork, etc. Vintage airmail bags and old-time doctor's medicine bags are pulling duty for now. I just sold a mailbag, like the one pictured, at the Lone Star Round Up but I have 2 doctor's bags left and I'm always on the look for other likely prospects.

mail bag.jpg DSCN1310.JPG

Atwater Mike, TagMan, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  17. Mine's in a pouch sewn into the back of my driver's seat along with my maps.

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

I meant there was a HMBer making them.

19. donno

donno

Bank bag, under the seat.

20. Danny, if it's not too late, you could put one of those snap pouches in the driver's kick panel. That way it's kinda obscured and you really don't have to put one on the passenger side necessarily. If you put one on the driver's door you're kinda obligated to put one on the passenger side as well.

21. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

Several folks have posted images of door map pockets. Here is a shot of Canned Heat's registration home. P1060984.JPG

22. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I keep mine in a small foldable vinyl tool box with bug spray, sunscreen, rain-x, coozies, tire pressure gauge, anything I think I might need at a car show stowed on the floor of the back seat

23. You guys have given me some great ideas, thank you. HRP

24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Let us know what you end up doing.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Get one of those reproduction metal flashlights that take C or D batteries and the bracket that clips on the steering column. Leave the batteries out and roll up your papers and slip them down in the flashlight tube. It will look old school and fit in the small area and not be in the way. Get you one of those 3” long LED flashlights and put it in your pocket, better light than the old one anyway!

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

you could get a 3 window dash with a glove box

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

I'd make sure a police person know exactly what I was reaching for before I pulled a metal cylinder out from a spot they couldn't see. i use the free plastic holders from insurance companies-on the seat or on the floor.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. I've used these before on cars without visors:

[​IMG]

I have an old display with a few of these left on it:

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.