Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BS!

BS!

Another reason why ive posted the build here is for picking up the little things I miss and to learn for the guys who have been there and done that. So thanks for the heads up fellas.

Funnily enough I did originally have a glass filter on it but second guessed myself thinking plastic would be better than glass. Sounds like I was wrong. I actually have a Steel one here to make the whole thing solid line with inverted flare fittings but I was concerned with the weight of it as the only place it will fit will mean it is unsupported. I might just do it anyway.

I have a blue motor pump fitted to the fb wagon too as those grey motor ones are stupid expensive so might have to do the switcheroo there by the sounds of things too. No biggie. I actually just re read your post too. So you are running the mechanical pump on yours?

The bottom end and headers havent been touched yet. I was going to run a catch can for the breather once i get to it but i might have have a look at how you have done yours Spanners once the time for that comes.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. spanners

spanners

I run a filter on the return line from the carbies. It's the same as the glass type but has a metal tube in place of the glass. I use this type in this situation because it's a bit more vulnerable to impact from debris on the track.

3. BS!

BS!

Ok. My set up is tank, filter, pump, carbs and no return.

The only room i have for the filter is between the bottom of the tank along the line to the chassis rail.

In saying that though if you reckon the mechanical pump is the way to go i could probably put a filter in the space I had reserved for the elec pump and regulator.

Will do some more research i think...

4. spanners

spanners

Go with your setup initially and you can change things as you get the feel for it. I was running an electric pump and found that even using a regulator, the S.U.s were flooding at
    low revs as the pump didn't shut off as car type ones do when they sense back pressure. I put the return line in so that fuel was always circulating, whilst still feeding the carbys. It also helps to keep the fuel cooler, as it doesn't sit in the lines getting heat transfer from the head and manifold.
    If you want to retain the plastic filter, get a piece of radiator hose a bit longer than the filter, slice down one side and put it over the filter. When you want to check the state of the filter, take the sleeve off.
    Whatever you do, don't overthink things. Just keep it basic and enjoy it.

5. BS!

BS!

Ok guys, fuel system has been revisited. Metal filter, tweaked the fuel lines, later model fuel pump without a glass bowl and new fuel line to the carbs to suit. Hopefully this is fully compliant now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Black Knight Racing and Crosley like this.
  6. spanners

spanners

That should please the inspectors. One other suggestion. Make sure you carry spare fuel filters because I guarantee after a couple of runs the original will be full of crud. I don't know where it comes from but it'll be there.

Crosley likes this.
  7. BS!

BS!

Slow going this week but any progress is good progress I guess?

The changes to the cage have now had the final weld done.

While the car was off having the tig work done I managed to get the dash layed out and get the rest of the parts I need to finish the wiring on order. Once they turn up my focus will be to complete the electical system.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. bobw

bobw

You should be well protected with all the pipe in that cage. Looks like a very high quality build.

9. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

There are plenty of tubes in the whistle cage for sure.

10. BS!

BS!

Yeah I was suprised at all the changes and extra bar work the insector demanded but I guess at the end of the day they are the ones signing it off so I have to play by their rules.

Crosley likes this.
  11. spanners

spanners

It's looking good.
    Regarding the bar work for something that might crack low 13s, it's what they require. The cynic in me says it's because ever since IHRA took over most of the tracks in Australia our cars aren't 'showy' enough so they don't want us there. Our cages now are basically an Altered cage. It's interesting when I've run against a late sixties Chev convertible with the driver wearing an open face helmet, sash seatbelt and long sleeve shirt. He ran high elevens and I ran low 14s wearing a firesuit , 5 point harness, cage and wrist restraints. I love racing, so, unfortunately I have to suck it up.

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  12. BS!

BS!

Exactly!

13. bobw

bobw

Yes, I had to build my cage to meet NHRA Altered specs. It's good to 10.00 seconds.

14. robsimmons

robsimmons

This is good reading. Thank you for posting. I should probably ask some pointed questions to the 2-3 tracks I intend to race the most at as I plan my build. One is IHRA, one is NHRA and the other is,... ummm,... Kinda Outlaw... LOL

15. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

What is the extra water pump?

16. BS!

BS!

It's only running the EWP. The original water pump has no impeller.

17. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

More info on EWP please.

18. BS!

BS!

19. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

20. BS!

BS!

Weekly update time.

Still slow going. The family and I have all been crook as dogs this week so I only got a few nights in the shed but most of the parts for the elec side of things have now turned up.

While I was waiting for parts and not hugging the toilet bowl my OCD got the better of me and I redid the copper coated bundy fuel lines with zinc coated bundy to match the rest of the fuel system. Not going to get make it go any faster I know but it was bothering me haha.

[​IMG]

Next job was to mount the fuse and relay block and start running cable. I bent up a little mount, welded it to the cage and mounted the fuse block.

[​IMG]

Next was to start running cable. I've drilled holes and installed all the cable glands, run the power cable, starter wiring and lighting circuit. I'll hopefully terminate all these connections over the weekend and start running the rest of the circuits.

[​IMG]

It's 2 short working weeks with public holidays coming up so hopefully Ill get a bit of shed time inbetween getting the ute and camper trailer ready for annual family holiday pilgramage.

Stay tuned....

Oh also, Lindsay (orange salt flat ute where my engine came from) got in touch with me during week with more info on where he originally got the engine from. Another drag racing humpy from back in the day known as the " Strip Ripper " So as Linz pointed out it's gone full circle drag, salt and now back to drag. Pretty cool I thought.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  21. robsimmons

robsimmons

22. spanners

spanners

Very nice indeed. Isn't it amazing how something with so few electrical items still seems to need a lot of wiring?

23. BS!

BS!

Yeah from paper to reality are quite different for sure.

24. bobw

bobw

Cool story on the engine. You are a talented man.

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Never heard the fuel lines referred to as "Bundy", but the bottle of OP a friend brought me from OZ is really good stuff.

26. spanners

spanners

Yes Tom. Nothing quite like a cool evening around the campfire and a bottle of Bundy Rum. Ah, the good old days.
    Brendon are you going to be at Willowbank this weekend for the Nostalgias as a competitor or spectator?

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  27. BS!

BS!

Hahahaha yes that shit can be lethal and certainly adds armour to the soul.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  28. BS!

BS!

Yep coming out Sunday. Unfortunately spectating only as the car is still not quite finished (getting closer)

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  29. BS!

BS!

Hi all, weekly progress report time.

Short work week this week so plenty of time spent with the family during my time off. I still managed to get a few hours in each night after the kids went to sleep.

Anyway wiring is pretty much done bar 2 engine earth straps and the other half of the tacho connector on the backside of the cowl. I'll also fit a few p clips to support the wire runs down the chassis prior to paint. ill get these jobs done tomorrow before heading out to watch all the guys race on Sunday.

So far everything appears to be working without any brown smoke escaping. I'll give it all a final tidy up after I put all the wiring back in after final paint

The front wheels have also been sent off to have new centres put in.

That's about it for this week.

Won't be much progress over the next fortnight as we are off on a family holidays.

Cheers

[​IMG][​IMG]

30. spanners

spanners

Next time you are talking to Jeff or Steve, ask them about the mesh needed in the carby scoops. I've got mesh in mine but that's because I race at regional tracks where small stones are abundant. It's something to do with stopping fuel splashing back at you I think. I don't need them as S.U.s don't have squirters. See you on Sunday.