Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New project: 56 Olds!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BJR

BJR

Safoldsmobile....... Nomobile...... Oldsmad........ Safari 88...... Safaladay 88...... RocketMad.... OK I'm done. My favorite is Oldsmad!:)

loudbang likes this.
  2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

OK, when the roof was on the car, it didn't give me enough info to plan out where everything was going to have to be located (B pillar, end of roof, end of quarter glass, etc) So I took it off, and tried putting the upper quarter panel pieces on it. A very bad thing is that these pieces are part of a 'load' I got a long time ago, and they were pretty rotted out. The bottoms of the tailgate jambs are non existent. One jamb just fell off the quarter piece when sandblasting it. It's going to make the mock up of this project very difficult! Even the real thick lower tailgate support is rotted out! 100_1044.JPG 100_1048.JPG 100_1047.JPG 100_1046.JPG

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Very seriously thinking about a chopped top.
    My first plan was to build the car as if it was a "real car", and a kid bought one, lowered it and nosed and decked it. Maybe used it as a surf wagon. Nothing outrageous, a mild custom.
    But my shop buddies put the bug in my head about chopping it. At first I resisted. Lots of work, already have mismatched parts, going to be mismatched even more. I have gorgeous replated vent window housings the owner had done by Frankford Plating. I wasn't sure if the roof was long enough to fit the Olds, and chopping it would move the roof farther forward, making the problem worse.
    Well, that idea rattled around in my head for a long time. Now I have a 'Plan B' theme going. What if the car was a Concept Car? GM made one, to try out the idea of an Olds Nomad. Concepts usually look chopped, have better lines, and flow. Most ideas on them are very similar to the factory cars. So, chop the top slightly, semi-french the headlights and taillights, lower, and smooth it out. Still trying to get the enthusiasm to do all the extra work!

4. BJR

BJR

I sure like the Oldsmad concept, but it would be much easier if you could find better Nomad parts to start with. Hows that for stating the obvious? It would be so different that I don't think it would need to be chopped.

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I love just about anything with the right chop { usually a couple inches.} Moving metal is one thing ,but there is a lot of compound curved glass in this baby. Are you going to cut oem or are you having custom stuff made. Just wondering? I would enjoy seeing the process either way. Cool project . Larry

loudbang likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

No chop, noooooo! :) It be your car, though, but I am thinking it will be awkward.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

8. loudbang

loudbang

Is that a GTO with independent rear suspension on the lift in the background?

chryslerfan55 and Torkwrench like this.
  9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, loudbang, building it for a customer/friend. All vette suspension, LT1, 6 speed stick. A 67 so I don't mention it here.

10. BJR

BJR

Unknown.jpeg

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

After welding solid the A pillars, and the header support up front, I decided not to do all the sheet metal welding up there, and tie in the B pillars. Get it to the point where the roof doesn't have to be supported any more.
    The big debate was whether to keep the dip in the quarter panel. I was the one most against it. I thought it would compete with the B pillar for attention. The Chevy Nomad is straight across, even uses different doors, that don't have the beginnings of the dip. The quarter tops I used were actually from a Safari, and has a tiny dip just behind the B pillar.
    After thinking about it, I decided to leave it for now, I could always cut it out later if I didn't like it. So I made an inner support out of 3 pieces of 1/8" steel to tie in the door jamb support, to the Nomad one. Cut out the original brazed seam so I could butte weld it. Then a template and a filler skin for the "B". \Now I think I like the dip in the quarter. Keeps the Olds look and it also is a starting point for the Olds side trim (anyone got 56 Olds "98" side trim to sell??)
    Then the tricky part...putting the roof back on, and putting the upper part of the "B" in place, and slowly cutting it down to match the lower.

Attached Files:

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm really glad you're keeping the dip, in some form. The whole point is to see what an Olds-mad would look, like, right? Carry on! I'm enjoying this build.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Still on it. Went back to the front, to make it solid. Started with welding the front header support. Had to cut out part of the roof to get at the top part of it, but this NEEDS to be done. Also slowly reconstructing the Nomad window channels. 100_1078.JPG 100_1080.JPG 100_1081.JPG 100_1067.JPG

14. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

loudbang likes this.
  15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Now we're just doing rust repair. Nothing exciting. I'll post more when we get to fixing up the rear tailgate area. Lots of sheet metal fab going on there! 100_1094.JPG 100_1069.JPG KIMG0039.JPG 100_1070.JPG

16. BJR

BJR

Wow you have the skill sir.:)

OG lil E and loudbang like this.
  17. SS327

SS327

I love the whole idea and concept, not to mention the execution! :)

Denny

loudbang likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

This is sooo cool, I'm surprised no one has ever done this before.

Rickybop, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. Love it! The slanted B pillars will reflect the slant of the quarter panels below the taillights. Not sure I share your choice of "98" side trim over the super sexy 88 trim. I had a 56, 98 convertible and always loved the streamlined side trim of my buddy's '56, super 88 much more. Just my personal preference but the giant "cove" the 98 trim makes seemed to make the car look thicker from belt line to rocker. The 88 trim breaks up this expanse. Again just my personal preference.

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

That's true, Rocky. My reason for using it (IF I find a set!!!) is that the Nomad/Safari was the 'top of the line' model for Chevy/Pontiac. So it would only seem fitting that Olds would make their version a "98". If I can't find a set, I'll probably run the "88" trim.

21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

For what it's worth, this car really deserves the 98 trim. And I would also suggest a fabricated "triangle" of stainless to cover the cove above the dip. I'll see if I can get the Photoshop gurus to illustrate what I mean!

22. belair

belair

HURRY UUUUP!! I gotta pee.

Rickybop and loudbang like this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Very cool. Maybe I can get some ideas about my Sedan Delivery project from you. Subscribed!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Rckt98

Rckt98

The 98 trim is way classier but then I am biased. IMG_0896.JPG

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow!:eek: Hadnt saw the update since you started cutting, This is gonna be a good one!
    I like it a lot!:cool:

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Are you kidding?....I've got a 50 Chevy delivery in my shed, had it for over 25 years. Man, did I have plans for THAT ONE! WILD! But I can't share what I had in mind, in case I do get around to finishing it (It's sitting on a Grand National frame, with Vette rear suspension, custom firewall, channeled, etc.)

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Mine isnt that radical. Just an old rust bucket field find that someone botched a chop on. It needed saving and I needed a new career so I bought it. It's getting long doors put on it and the chop straightened up. That's the plan anyway.

28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Hey, chopolds! I took the liberty of putting up a request on the Photoshop thread to provide some inspiration for you, and this is the result, courtesy of "the moose." I'd say he nailed the roof swap perfectly!

So, if this doesn't capture the exact feel you're going after, let me know what you would change, and I'll see if I can make it happen. tapatalk_1557110860052.jpeg

29. SS327

SS327

Introducing the New and Exciting Oldsmobile Rocket Adventurer Station Wagon for 1956!!!
    The personal luxury wagon every man needs in 1956!

Denny

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

He's got a real talent for Photoshop! Thanks for requesting it! It looks great! Not sure if it's got the 1 1/2" chop done to it? hard to tell. Mine will also have factory type skirts (found a set of NOS Foxcraft's at Carlisle), wide whites, and 55 Olds caps.
    Considering colors, since I like to paint, I've got a whole slew of possibilities! Dark Purple and Lilac Pearl, Pale Pink Pearl and (Candy?) Burgundy, Turquoise and black, Copper metallic and cream. Want a 50's type vibe with the colors, but using modern versions.