Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects French hot rodding

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Protofuria, Apr 3, 2019.

1. neat old cars. Good start .
    Vic

Protofuria likes this.
  2. Good luck with your project and have fun with it.

MO54Frank and Protofuria like this.
  3. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

looks like you are going to have a lot of fun and live your ideas, I'll follow your build.
    Greetings from central Switzerland.

Protofuria likes this.
  4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I love the grill. The truck conversion appears to have been done well, back in the day...

I can't wait to see it when you are done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Cool. Different.

6. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

The front end is weirdly similar to Sidney Allard's early independent front end. He cut the I beam and hinged it in the middle too. Gives some wild camber changes.

7. GeeRam

GeeRam

Nice.
    Like the idea of using the old V4......I presume its a Cologne V4 rather than an Essex V4?
    At least you can easily get performance parts for the V4, with the popularity of Saab 96's in historic rallying.

Spoggie likes this.
  8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

There have been a few French builds on here. All have been interesting to watch. This one looks like a good start on a cool build. I like the front end on this car. And this is the second thread in 12 hours with a split beam front end.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. AmishMike

AmishMike

Nice project - vote to keep the fenders. Like the woody version MGTSTUMPY posted. Guess will depend on step side set up you can fit. Be watch’en have fun

10. It´s not the same as that. The split beam is the lower arm and the spring acts as the upper control arm, like a Corvette rear end.

11. chrisp

chrisp

Exactly : early IFS not split beam.

12. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

At the time, there was probably a company doing those conversions, I've seen several cars with the exact same bed on them. It was well made, but my particular car was a short body, they had to cut a lot of it to make a longer bed, the seats don't even have a backrest anymore! the cab is very short!

Seing all the comments on this thread, I'm genuinely surprised you guys like it. I've received a way colder welcome on some french boards!

I'm curently doing my best to source parts to rebuild the front end. I'm missing two short axles and four bronze bushings, I'll probably have to go to a machinist to have them made new. I'm trying to have the plans for those partsso I can show them to a machinist.

Surfcityrocker and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Post more pics as you progress. Guys here like interesting builds where somebody makes something cool from what they have to work with.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

subscribed looking forward to seeing more,

15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Your hot rodding a car from your Homeland. It's no different than what we do here. We have American cars to build, you have French cars to build. It all the same when you step back and look at it....

Please keep up the good work!

Baumi and Protofuria like this.
  16. chrisp

chrisp

Ca te surprend? C'est a chaque fois la meme chose.
    Everytime somebody makes a cool car out of a French car people in France seems genuinely surprised that it's possible and usually the build is from England /Australia /South America /Japan. But French rarely see the possibility of our national brands. A bunch of them have poor taste and try to make them look like what they are not
    I wouldn't have use the v4 but a Peugeot 203 /403 L4 engine it can be made to perform very well and it's a Hemi!

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hemi? I like Hemi's....

18. What are the tuning possibilites for these motors? Do you have any more info about thta Chris?
    I'm not a fan of the V4 either, but it fits the small hole I guess.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. pumpman

pumpman

Cool build, I really that little pickup. Keep us tuned in on your progress.

20. chrisp

chrisp

A buddy of mine has a 203 pickup with a 8cv 403 block, 203 head, everything else is stock, even the carb he does 100mph with it, an other friend of mine has a 203 sedan for over 30 years, 8cv 403 block, 203 head, constantin blower he was smoking the Peugeot 205 GTI when they were new : so over 130mph with the gas milage of a V8... All this with a 1.5L (barely 90CI) engine.

21. That sounds like a whole lot of fun. There´s really something to be said for the hemi head, even a 1.5 litre version.

classiccarjack likes this.
  22. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Protofuria, I like your little truck project a lot. A modified survivor from time past and now you'll "put your stink" on it as the saying goes That's the essence of hot rodding.
    I have spent years watching european films and looking at potential rodding material from european vehicles. I have a Jag Mk7 custom project in the works as well as a 3 wheel cycle car build with a Morgan/Darmont, or d`Yrsan flavor.

Maybe you have seen mika112 2cv or Mateusz from Poland 1934 Peugeot 301builds postings here on the HAMB?

I'm subscribing to yours now. Love to see the progress

23. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Protofuria, going to be a great build, looking forward to following this one. I'm sharing your pain with parts hunting. Love those French cars.

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

suspension would look great painted up

26. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

I'm de-rusting and painting all the suspension parts black, I'll do the same with the chassis.

not much of a progress these days, I've changed a couple rubber and bronze bushings, I'm still waiting on some other parts I ordered

classiccarjack and nunattax like this.
  27. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Dans quelle department est tu? 57 ?

28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool build, I´ll be watching!

Protofuria likes this.
  29. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

Oui, je suis de Moselle

30. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Merci.To bad you are very far from me.Bon courage avec ton projet.