Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects East Coast Hustler 30 coupe AV8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Phil55Kratz, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thanks for the kind words guys and the reference pics. I decided to move the steering box back 4”. GordonC I’m not expecting to gain any power with the headers they were $90 shipped on ebay and stainless. J like the way they look. I do actually have my motor to the right about 1/4”. (Not much but anything helps hah) But I’ve settled to where I like all the angles. (Well about as good as it gonna get.) and I have to shorten the column even if it was on the stock location so now I’m gonna shortest the steering shaft about 5” and that’s that. Now just gotta make up a drag link and modify the pitman arm . Also got the clutch linkage finished up. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad, Rathbone, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

like it, noticed the shell logo...
    A buddy from Freeport, ME. worked for shell oil... he designed the shell print in the sea shell logo...
    go mike go !

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  3. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I finished my Pittman arm yesterday.. the ball on all my steering arms and everything is beat up( I have worn out balls) But I am modifying and making it all work to see where stuff needs to be. I need to get some oxy/acc tanks.! I have torches but no tanks ... don’t use em much so I have a hard time justifying it... until right now when I need it and I’m broke haha. But anyway. If I were to do it all again I wouldn’t use model a spindles. Or the kingpins... I had originally planned to keep mechanical brakes for a little bit while I was gathering juice brake parts but changed my mind. Really there’s nothing wrong with the spindles or the steering arms but the cup thing on top of the king pin is kinda ugly. Prob could just change the pins( yeah! Prob will at some point) anyway the pitman arm is doable now (cut and welded) and then I threw the hood on today to make sure my radiator is where it needs to be. Well the radiator is a little too tall. (Chinese so it’s expected) I tweeted the tabs at the bottom a little and got it down 1/4” but if I were to run the hood sides they wouldn’t work. The hood is a touch high at the nose but it’s not really noticeable. I’m thinking of notching my crossmember to drop it down another 1/2” seems like the simplest solution or just don’t worry about it. I really want to have the grill, hood/sides all in the original location. So there’s no goofy stuff going on. Like it was meant to be there. My favorite cars to look at are the ones that are thought out simple and stuff works. I like all the subtle stuff that no one knows what’s up. I do stuff in my garage which is tiny so I keep it simple![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

barrnone50, ct1932ford, brEad and 7 others like this.
  4. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Looks good how you do your things, what's the retainer outside of the rails arround the pitmanshaft ? Is there a reason why not bringing it flat in contact whith the rails ? Was pretty much buisy my self in the shop, rewiring the rod and getting the steering perfect.... your getting closer to get it running on the road, go for it and have fun.

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  5. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thanks. The retainer bearing thing I did just as added support since there was so much of the sector shaft hanging in the wind.. thought here is less stress on the bushings inside , especially since they are now half of what they were. Here’s the bearing I used and I cut it down. My Pittman arm is not cinched down on the splines just hanging there for the pic. The gap behind the retainer bearing is cause the bearing pivots a bit to self center wich makes up for the taper in the frame. [​IMG]

6. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Thanks , Phil

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  7. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Pretty mush everything on my car is early ford stuff the only things that aren’t. Is my Chinese radiator and my headers. The radiator was $120(I think) on ebay and some will gripe and say get a walker or something... I’m trying to get this car together in a short amount of time and. I’m not spending $800 on my radiator . But , as they say you get what you pay for.
    The radiator is decent. But it’s not the greatest fit. First think that sucks about it is that it’s at least 1.25” too tall. So rather than cutting into the tank and welding it back up the best thing I can come up with is modifying my crossmember. This bought me .75”. And I’m happy with it. Simple and easy. I don’t have a way to weld aluminum at home so this was the simplest solution in my eyes. Also painted it black. (.....rolling stones )...) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

barrnone50, brEad, waxhead and 12 others like this.
  8. koolbeans

koolbeans

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  9. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thank you

10. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Finally settled on placement of the steering wheel and shortened the steering shaft 5” . Feels right and car feels right. Got the pedals bent to where everything seems good. Hoping to start buttoning this stuff up and move on to brake lines and stuff this week.
    IMG_2788.JPG IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2790.JPG IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2801.JPG

brEad, Rathbone, 48fordnut and 4 others like this.
  11. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

IMG_2794.JPG

Woogeroo, catdad49, Dino 64 and 5 others like this.
  12. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Decided to take a break from some of the mechanical stuff last night and get a little metal work done that’s been bugging me. The whole car was original steel for the most part but years ago the trunk was hacked for a rumble seat. And the lower piece was wood. I’ve replaced the passenger side wheel well but need to do the drivers. . Last night I made this lower piece and still gotta finish it up but that was easy and it will be out of the way. IMG_2813.JPG [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  13. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

IMG_2825.JPG [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

barrnone50, brEad, Fitnessguy and 9 others like this.
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

good one... those babies new are $250 or so !
    keep those good ideas coming...

fourspd2quad and Phil55Kratz like this.
  15. Absolutely love it!

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  16. Hot Rods and Race Cars you live in the best neighborhood ever!!!

brEad, FlatJan, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  17. Travis latour

Travis latour
    from Putnam CT

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

going to be kool!!

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  19. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Little more done tonight. I’ll prob finish it up tomorrow after work and then get back to the brakes and stuff.. IMG_2840.JPG IMG_2845.JPG IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2854.JPG

20. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

[​IMG][​IMG] wrapped
    Some of this stuff up and threw some primer and some paint on it. For now. Still have some stuff to do in the trunk. But I’m more worried about the major stuff right now. If I ever paint the car a lot will be revisited /stripped anyway so no sense in spending a lot of time on the small stuff. I need to get back to the mechanical stuff so I can get this thing goin!

ct1932ford, brEad, Rathbone and 11 others like this.
  21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Welcome, I’m up in Sterling, 31 coupe,32 rails.
    We should get together, nice build.

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  22. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Awesome! Definitely. I need some car friends in the area.

Dino 64 likes this.
  23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Cool, you might consider going to Jalopyrama on 4/27 on the eastern shore of Maryland. Some of the best builds I’ve ever seen. It’s a frickin education !!

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  24. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Aahh, you made good progress, nice work on the trunk area and wheelwell .
    As for temporary fixes, nothing last as long as emergency fixes.
    On my 1939 Chevy, there is a carb gasket made of a milk cardboard pack, now since 25 year and still works perfectley.. ...;) no reason to change anything:cool:

25. Budget36

Budget36

Need a "like" button for the whole thread;)

Nice job!

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  26. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thanks!

27. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I am planning on goin.

Dino 64 likes this.
  28. 'Mo