Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for the wiring gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The subject of this thread (the car) is very likely to turn up in a future thread posted by a new owner asking:

How in hell do I fix this mess ? :D

trollst likes this.
  2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Start here:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  3. 50styleline

50styleline

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Hey, at least get a Knipex wire cutter, good stuff. ;)

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a friend show up with a 40 coupe that was a typical back yard job. He asked it I could help him a bit with the wiring as he said that at night when he turned on the lights smoke came from under the dash so he shut the lights off.. I looked it over and it was a mess! weird splices. oddball connectors and it looked like it was thrown in with a pitchfork. Told him no problem and handed him a pair of Klein cutters. He looked puzzeled. Told him to cut every wire there was and trash it. Bought a 12 circuit kit and rewired it. Have seen quite a few like this that were actually pretty nice cars other than the wiring mess.

trollst and G-son like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12 circuit kit. $64.00 @ Ace Hardware
    [​IMG]

RICH B likes this.
  7. 50styleline

50styleline

I am already dealing with someone else's hack job and original wiring with a lot of unprotected circuits. Kleins were already used to start over on POs mess now I need to get rid of the old wiring. Oh and Squirrel, yes I had to remove wires that were both soldered and had wire nuts,,,ugh.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine called me about an electrical issue they had on a very high end 8 second drag car they were tuning in prep for a race. They said they had sparks coming from the throttle linkage at the carbs!! Told them to stop and unhook the battery. You guessed it-was missing grounds! The wiring was done by a so called professional. We rewired the whole car. On another one they were having intermittent but similar issues. They were at the track. I loaded up a bunch of wiring stuff etc. Went over the car with a meter and could not find an issue. Told them to start wiggling wires etc. Ohm meter showed movement. Started pulling on cables etc. They had the cables made by a shop and they looked ok. Pulled hard and pulled the cable right out of the lug.. They had used some type of indent tool on the batt lugs. Made new ones and pressed with an old overhead line press-solid now!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  9. 50styleline

50styleline

If my brother had his way I'd have that in the trunk and a sub-panel at the battery

RICH B and Johnny Gee like this.
  10. My Dad always told me temporary becomes permanent. When I was in the Navy we never had the time to do it right the first time but always had the time to do it again
    just my 2 cents worth.
    Todd

trollst, lippy, G-son and 1 other person like this.