Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split-beam Front Axle - Am I nuts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

So I'm thinking about my next build, and happened across @Protofuria 's thread on his Peugeot, which got me thinking about options for the front suspension. I've been thinking that an independent front suspension would be nice, as the car is going to be a V12 powered roadster, but I don't want MII or any of those style kits, because... well, I just don't want that. I had been thinking something like an early 60's Formula 1 style IFS would be slick, but now I'm thinking a split axle setup would be even slicker.

So the real question: the Peugeot has radius rods that meet in the middle like a Ford wishbone setup, but would it work if those were attached to the frame similar to a split wishbone setup? I'm concerned that the decreased angle might cause geometry issues, but that might be controllable with a shorter radius rod...

I know Ford used a twin beam setup starting around 65 or so through the 90s at least, but that has relatively long axles compared to what I'm thinking, extending all the way to the opposite frame rail.

Pics for reference. What say you?

Mike

Peugeot:
    [​IMG]

Ford:
    [​IMG]

2. BJR

BJR

Every one I knew who had a Ford truck with twin I beam front suspension back when they were new said the truck ate front tires. I never had one, but from what I have heard it's not a good idea.

Atwater Mike and H380 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Longer beams reduce the camber change....which is a good thing.

The Twin I beam has split radius arms. Since the axle is not one piece, there is no need for a single wishbone, as the axle won't be twisted -- it can't, it's two pieces.

Black_Sheep and dana barlow like this.
  4. 34Phil

34Phil

Fat Man used to offer one. Like all swing axles, you will get jacking in turns.

Ned Ludd, Fordor Ron and BigChief like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Allard did it to Ford axles for their race cars way back in the 50's. I don't think it was real successful.

Ned Ludd and 62rebel like this.
  6. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

That Peugot suspension is a pretty neat setup. But if you look at it, its not just a regular I-beam pivoted in the center. It is setup more like a regular independent suspension. What I mean is that if you look closely, it has pivot points at the ends of the I-beams and at the spring ends. So it isn't really like the early ford twin I-beam set up. Besides, the suspension arc on that setup is going to be better than if you just cut it in the center.
    I do believe I saw someone do what you are thinking on one of those Volksrods. I couldn't find a picture.
    I think I would be concerned about handling. It would be a very similar setup in a way to the early Corvair and VW swing axle, just in the front.
    I did find this on another forum:
    https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/split-i-beam-169020.html

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Don't waste your time. Gary

Ned Ludd likes this.
  8. Dyce

Dyce

That Peugeot looks interesting. The spring acts like an upper control arm. It is nothing like a split I beam. I like it, first you need to find spindles.

9. There was a feature car in Street Rodder that had twin tube axles. I believe it was a red T highboy in an early eighties issue.

My trucks have the twin I beam front ends and I haven't experienced excessive tire wear. Maintenance and regular alignment checks are key, just like any suspension design.

King ford likes this.
  10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

In the 1970's, I had a neighbor that ran a fleet of one Ton service trucks in his construction business. They always used Fords. I bought his last solid axle truck (1964) from him. The Twin-I-Beam trucks did eat tires for breakfast. The extra cost for the fleet was about equal to cost of a new, equipped service truck. He switched to Chevys.

Fast forward about 40 years, I have 70K+ miles on an Off Topic 1986 Ford F150 ($1,000 Craigslist wonder - probably paid too much, but, I needed the short wheel base). It got an Off Topic Cummins 4 cylinder engine (4bt) and an On Topic 1952 Bell Telephone System service bed. I get over 30K miles on ordinary Off Topic radials, the wear is a little uneven, but, quite acceptable for a truck that was saved from the scrapyard many years ago.

Somewhere in the past, Ford upgraded the Twin-I-Beam. You should be able to find one in the F150/F250/F350 that might meet your needs for a V-12. Also, used in the E150/E250/E350 series, I am unaware of the differences.

fur biscuit and BJR like this.
  11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Boryca (Mike) -

Ford tried it twice.
    Didn't work well either time.

You ever driven a split beam Ford ? Go drive a Ford truck around town for a while before you take on this task. It just might change your mind..!
    There IS...a reason that no one is doing this today..!

Mike

Atwater Mike and rusty valley like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a big splash in the rod mags when Fatman showed up with split axle but I don't remember hearing about that many cars built with them . They might even have one left drawing dust back in the warehouse.
    You also would have to have a tie rod setup That has a pivot in the middle so each side swings independently as a one piece tie rod isn't going to work as the toe would be changing with every bump. A hell of a lot of work to be "different"

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Bellamy did split front I beams for small horse power fords in the uk, plenty of info on google. I think they supplied allied ?

Worth looking at early bmw/Bristol front suspension they used a transverse leaf spring to form the top of an independent front end

14. Before I get a bunch of time invested in this thread,,, is it going to fly with management and not get deleted?

Split beam is not a good set up.

That Peugeot set up is control arms and strut vs double AFrame

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  15. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

My Off Topic 1986 F150 was driven to Burlington, Vt, and 2 week loop thru the south without any handling complaints. I expect that the "deal-killer" will be the coil spring towers needed for the Ford suspension.

Lost in the Fifties and 62rebel like this.
  17. Anyone know anything about the "Bellamy Ford Axle"? Was this an actual Ford axle for European sales?
    upload_2019-4-12_12-46-8.png

dana barlow likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I wouldn't do it for a rod,but;There were times the idea work very well in early oval stock car racing.{ That was done by cutting a late 30s,40s Ford axle too get good camber in turns.

thintin likes this.
  19. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Wild thought (or maybe another rabbit hole), how about a pre-1965 MOPAR torsion bar suspension. No ugly coil towers and everything should be below the frame line. No real experience on this, except for a couple of small IH pickup trucks with torsion bars. That "might" keep you On Topic ( I do have fond memories of driving Grandpa's 1962 Chrysler New Yorker)

Ned Ludd likes this.
  20. picture from the WEB of a FatMan front axle kit upload_2019-4-12_12-54-29.png

dana barlow likes this.
  21. B42EF952-66C7-426F-B149-E5603B870277.jpeg
    A frame wish bone uppers
    Spring is lower
    Strut rods

Rube goldburgesque

The simpler the better IMO for a hot rod.
    The simplicity of Henry,s stuff is hard to beat.

22. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Love the opinions and responses fellas.

@jrblack30 - I think that Bellamy axle is the closest to what I'm pondering, but with the radius rods widened to frame width at the rear to get lower and avoid having to create a central pivot mounting area... Seems like it would still work roughly the same, with the same issues around camber change due to the short axle length - a problem I'm not going to get around without a spindle setup similar to what @31Vicky with a hemi posted just above - which is massively clunky and not desired for the feel of the car.

Interesting... Seems like these setups take up a lot of space - maybe a consideration for the rear.

I thought about this! Then I saw the aforementioned Peugeot thread and got off on a tangent.

dana barlow likes this.
  23. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Hoping it flies. Let's say I'm considering "traditional IFS setups." :cool::D

24. deucemac

deucemac

If aligned properly, they were quite good. Proper alignment could only be achieved if the truck was aligned with normal load weight on the truck and the axles cold bent. Too many jobs I got had burn marks on the axle because someone was too lazy or untrained on the proper way. The teal culprit of tire wear on the twin I beam was shocks. The long arm moment of the axle could not be dampened by the shocks available at the time and would get pounder out in short times. Keeping good shocks and aligning the axles in the normally loaded configuration would see good tire life out of them. Too many stupid "experts" overlooked or misunderstood the geometry necessary to make the system function. I worked at a Ford store that got merged with the owner's Toyota store. The first truck alignment I did after the merge, I had most of the Toyota mechanics either in the pit with me or hanging over the rails watching me align a twin I beam truck. The were all amazed by the midaevile torture chamber fixtures hung on the axles to do the job right. A good system that got a bad rap because of ignorance and laziness.

25. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Traditional independent?? Graft in a Studebaker Planar front suspension.

Jet96 and Boryca like this.
  26. How about something goofy like a 47 Willys wagon suspension?? 00O0O_9tYbasUD3ei_600x450.jpg 00Y0Y_jm6FlRhmqzd_600x450.jpg 00J0J_7HKVYoQYH77_600x450.jpg

bchctybob, Jet96, Boryca and 2 others like this.
  27. patterg2003

patterg2003

I would think the split mid axle would have a harder time keeping the tire square to the road. As the suspension moves the short beams up & down then the pressure would move to the outside or inside edge of the tires. It might make it interesting on a icy or wet curve if there is any lean in the curve if there is poor tire contact. The Ford truck twin I beam is a lot longer so there is less of that so the tire would stay fairly flat. I had 2 Ford half tons with the twin I beam with good luck with the tires. They needed to have the king pins greased and the rubber donuts replaced on the radius arms. The twin beam half tons were good on the back roads. Our pulpmill used only Ford 1/2 tons with twin I beams and big straight 6's for their logging operations back when.

King ford and Boryca like this.
  28. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG The split I beam seems to work well on lightweight cars such as the Lotus 11.
    But add weight and the problems seem to increase.

dana barlow likes this.
  29. chrisp

chrisp

The Peugeot design is not a split beam it's really an early IFS since there are pivots at both end of the beams (I arms?). And if you're thinking about using that don't forget it's a tiny light car with a small L4 not a V12.
    Some French car manufacturer were moving to IFS in the 30's, some more successfully than others. On fenderless cars they look clunky and cumbersome.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The Flemke front end. It worked well on Modifieds back in the day. My Ford Twin-I Beam and Twin Traction Beam front ends have been good to me, they ride and handle better than any straight beam axle I have driven, without any great tire wear.

King ford likes this.