Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Newer made 5 x 5.5 wheels on old Ford for roller only

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garyleach, Apr 11, 2019.

1. garyleach

garyleach

Hello, I'm working on an older Ford with 5 x 5.5 bolt circle wheels. The original wheels are pretty crusty and the tires (18") are shot on my project. Before I spend for the getting the wheels repaired and new rubber, are there more modern wheels and tires I could use just to roll the car around. I'm definitely NOT going to drive on them, just need to be able to roll around the shop. I know there are a lot of vehicles that use a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern with various hub circle bore(s), I was just wondering if anyone has used a newer set up like I describe? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up a set of 15x 6.5 on 5-1/2 at the wrecking yard for 10 bucks each to use as rollers on mine and may use them with moons and rings and call it good. The original plan was to use them as rollers and then use them with the industrial Chassis crossmember under my 48 with Dodge van rotors (that I have) on my 48. before Steve decided he didn't want to build things for retail anymore.
    A set of used wheels and a set of used right size tires will have you rolling around the garage and driveway for cheaps without letting new tires age into old tires.

4. If you are still running mechanical brakes the wheels probably won't seat properly and you will probably ruin them when you torque them. Be sure someone doesn't plan to use them later. Try asking/advertising with local Model A and Early V8 Ford clubs and see if anyone has a set they could loan you.

Charlie Stephens

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of (enough) flat washers on each stud might take care of that if he is running mechanical brakes. Can't drive it that way but it will roll around the garage.

6. I think I would go for that. The studs might not be long enough but for rolling around 100% engagement would not be necessary.

Charlie Stephens

7. garyleach

garyleach

Charlie, did you mean ruin the brake hub or the wheel? The wheel would be fairly expendable to me. I would go the salvage yard route as suggested. I hadn't thought of the flat washer idea, thank you Mr48Chev. As ALWAYS, thank you everyone for your input.

Gary

8. garyleach

garyleach

Does anybody know the hub center diameter on a 18" Ford wheel? And Patmanta, that's a great chart.

patmanta likes this.
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

Not to be a smart ass, but since you have the wheels the answer to that is a tape measure away.

10. I meant ruin the wheel. I assume it is weaker than the hub. When the later wheel is bolted onto the mechanical brake hub the lug nut holes will deform and start to crack. I just wanted to be sure you didn't pass the wheels on to someone else to use with the cracks starting to form. See: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045 For a roller using the washers that Mr48Chev suggested should solve the problem.

Charlie Stephens

11. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Keep in mind that the newer wheels are wider and the back spacing may not work with your suspension.

patmanta likes this.
  12. I don't know how popular they are in the US, but i use Suzuki Jeep wheels to move in my garage only.
    Used on LJ, SJ and Jimny models. They are cheap over here.

13. About 3 9/16. Remember that the wire wheels did not locate off of this surface.

How about a picture of your car?

Charlie Stephens

EDITED TO CORRECT MISREADING OF MEASUREMENT!!!

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depending on how much moving around you need to do, I've seen plywood round disks drilled for 5 on 5 1/2 and bolted to the drums for limited rolling around. Just a thought.

patmanta and Hnstray like this.
  15. garyleach

garyleach

I didn't remember if the wheels located on the hub, that way or not. Good to know. And no, X-cpe, I don't have that wheel with me, its at a different location. I forgot to measure the diameter before I left it. I was simply curious about if the bore center might make a difference, but with the spacers, its probably no issue. Dutch Deuce, I had heard that Suzuki might be a good choice. They seemed to not have a lot of backspace either way to contend with.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  16. garyleach

garyleach

I have seen that on plain chassis situations, but I hadn't ever seen it on a complete car.

17. I bought some out of a junkyard off a late 90's dodge van to use as burnout tires. They do have a bit of backspacing but they do work in my situation .
    Screenshot_20190411-215929_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20190411-220115_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20190411-220716_Photobucket.jpg

patmanta likes this.
  18. garyleach

garyleach

19. garyleach

garyleach

Good idea Charlie. I've actually got a line on a set from a club member fairly locally. I'll see how that goes in the next few weeks.

20. Joe H

Joe H

I bought some plywood out the bottom of shipping containers for cheap off Craigslist, guy was building tiny houses. The plywood is 19 ply thick, and a 4x8 sheet weighs about 150 lbs. It would hold up for a long time as roller wheels, 1 1/8" thick! Double it up and you drive on them.

21. garyleach

garyleach

Interesting. Might be a little sketchy on wet corners...but hey, that's the fun of it, right? YIKES!

patmanta likes this.
  22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Wrap some gorilla tape around the rim and light-em up!

23. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Yeah, the Suzuki Samurai has the same bolt pattern, plus the center hole should be large enough. It had to clear the 4 wheel drive hub. Early Jeeps also had the same bolt pattern.
    I would check on Craigslist and see if anybody is selling Samurai wheels.

24. Geo Trackers have the bolt pattern too

25. Budget36

Budget36

HF wheel dollies about 100 for all 4.
    If it's staying in the shop, nice to move it sideways/etc.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  26. 54vicky

54vicky

Charlie up here on our tape measures we call that 3/916

27. I used dodge van temp spares...10 bucks apiece and a little "massaging" with the torch and they fit good enough to roll around the shop, up on the trailer etc....Backspacing is correct too. 34homeontrailerjimmys.jpg

28. Thanks for catching that. I am glad I included the picture. Do you really say "3/916"? The good news is that I think we are closing in on the correct answer.

Charlie Stephens

29. garyleach

garyleach

I wondered if anyone would bust him on that. I was smiling and nodding.