Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New hemi owner

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Omarsvette, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

i dont have a clue what that is hahaha

2. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

3. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

heres photos of the underside. s-l1600 (1).jpg

loudbang likes this.
  4. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

i would love to find that. i can find much info. but looks like it would fit????

loudbang likes this.
  5. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

do 51-53 have smaller ports because there 2barrel carbs? mine is four barrel from 1954, so bigger ports?? since this edmunds is a performance manifold it will have big ports?
    the manifold is the same bolt pattern??
    theres just a question of port size?

loudbang likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a manifold made for a '54 with the large port heads, so it should be perfect for your engine. You may not be aware of them, but there are a couple of "difficulties" with those manifolds. The first, obviously, is the price. That piece looks to be in excellent condition and would be in the 4 figure range. How high in that range is anybody's guess, but it's starting to scare me:eek:. The second is that those manifolds use what are known as "square-bore" carbs. You can't just buy a couple of Edelbrock's or Holley's and bolt them on. The bolt pattern and throttle bores are smaller and use Carter WCFB's, early Rochester 4G's, some very rare early Strombergs, and Ford "teapots". None of these are easy to find, and getting a matched pair is almost impossible. I have an early Offenhauser dual quad manifold for an early Rocket that uses these carbs. I have a WCFB that I have been trying to match for over 5 years, and last summer was finally able to find another 4G off of a '53 Olds that matches one I already had (they are both off of stick shift cars too!). Unless you have a lot of money, carbs can be a problem. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Omarsvette and loudbang like this.
  7. oj

oj

That is for a blower.

loudbang and Omarsvette like this.
  8. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

oh man your killing me!!!! i dont care about the price but i didnt know about the carbs!!!! i thought i could use some edlebrocks. carter WCFB arent the same as regular carters??

loudbang likes this.
  9. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

ok i just google the difference. i was thinking the carter afb.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

tubman....thanks alot for the heads up!

loudbang likes this.
  11. 73RR

73RR

Look a bit closer and you'll see that it is stamped 53 Chry. To my eye the ports appear smaller than the 1-3/8 x 2 ports on 54 up.
    I have seen many of the '53 2x2 intakes but I don't believe there are alot of 53 2x4 intakes floating around.
    I think there are more 54 2x4 around than 53 2x4......and yes, plenty of folks have used mis-matched intakes/heads on the street with acceptable results. I have a 54 available if anyone is interested.

Depending on what you want out of the package you could adapt some of the 55-57 carbs and keep the 'older' look and not drown the engine. Keep in mind that if you just install a pair of 'single' carbs then idle circuits in the front carb will be confused with progressive linkage.

12. George

George

On the '55 intakes the edelbrocks will fit as far as the bolt pattern is concerned. You'd want to use a spacer because the bore holes aren't right for the Edelbrock.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

i saw the stamping, didnt think much of it till i was advised about the port size. is your 54 a dual carb intake?

loudbang likes this.
  14. 73RR

73RR

yes. If you want to continue please call or go to PM.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll defer to Gary ("73RR") on this as he knows way more about this than I do. Anyway, I'm in Florida for the winter, sipping on Margaritas, so my judgement might not be the best. That is a great lookin' manifold, no matter what.

16. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I just looked at my carb that came with the motor and it says carter wcfb. So I would just need one more....

loudbang likes this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with that. Seriously, does your carb have the brass ID tag still on it? Maybe we can make a matched pair. Since I have a matched pair of 4G's, I might be convinced to part with my WCFB.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

My carb doesn’t have the tag on it. I’m talkin to 73RR so I’ll get back at you.

loudbang likes this.
  19. carbking

carbking

loudbang likes this.
  20. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

FDB6113A-25C3-4552-B565-998D543722A5.jpeg Here’s my damper. DC is stamp in the center then 10 (tdc) on top and 10 (bdc) on bottom. What’s the hole on top for? Firing order is counter clockwise, but the damper spins clockwise? Odd numbers on driver side?

loudbang likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The distributor rotation is basically determined by which side of the cam it is on, and makes no difference in the order of things, as long as you follow the firing order. That hole could be for balancing purposes, but I'm thinking it is more likely for indexing the crankshaft during the factory assembly process.

Omarsvette, loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

loudbang likes this.
  23. I use the hole in mine to turn the engine over manually.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Yeah I got anxious waiting on paint so I wired the car. I’m working on details for my motor. I also found a 30 roadster I may buy. It’s really rough but maybe I can post pics and you tell me if it looks like a roadster not a coupster? Or anyone else

loudbang likes this.
  25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Go ahead and post away, a lot of us would love to see it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  26. George

George

Hot Heads probably would love people doing that...
    [/QUOTE]

loudbang likes this.
  27. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

This is a tru roadster? 820573E1-AF9B-4ED9-8A82-962C3076AB1C.png D883593C-DE8D-4F55-9875-4778D4508B85.png 3278D238-8EE1-4D2F-A56A-EB0634306E0B.png

loudbang likes this.
  28. George

George

My understanding is a Roadster has no provision for glass in the doors, so I'd say it is!

29. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

My distributor has a screw in fitting for the vacuum advance. Does anyone know why it’s flared? 0AC946EA-349B-4649-A709-C4FAE5B04E94.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  30. oj

oj

It takes a hard line and IF (inverted flare) like your fuel and brake lines. It's probably for 1/4" tube so purchase a piece of 1/4" brake line and the male fitting will screw right into that adapter.

Omarsvette likes this.