Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What’s wrong with points and other “upgrades”

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Apr 9, 2019.

1. This was just mentioned in another post about someone having issues with electronic ignition and not wanting to go backwards.

Had a buddy this week end ask why I was doing a tune up
    And points on my 64 merc and why not “upgrade” to electronic ignition?
    I told him have you seen a ford electronic distributor? They look like shit! ( to me anyways) and I like my wee little points cap !!

When I bought my 53 Chrysler I wanted to “ upgrade” to
    12v and electronic ignition , alternator etc. My boss asks my
    Why?
    I says “ to make it more reliable”
    He looks at me straight face and goes “ so this thing has lived for 50 years just like this...... and your going to make it MORE RELIABLE?!?

yeah, so it stayed stock and I drove that car all over hells half acre with 0 issues in the 3 years I owned it!

Anyways rant over.

2. I worked at a tune-up shop for a few years in my 20's and I don't ever want to see another set of points. I don't want to go backwards either. OK, rant over... ;)

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Book of matches and a test light. Non compatible for electronics.

4. You do know that you can use the points-type cap and rotor on the Duraspark distributors, right?.... That's the only external difference....

62rebel, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm off topic under the cap...not that anyone would know...its the original distributor and cap...coils in a finned cup and regulator is still there...so far no issues and I never, ever belittle those that prefer OEM...no rant...;)

Almost Vert Weather @VANDENPLAS...;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  6. The late model oversized distributors, and accompanying caps are ugly without doubt.
    Another way to go electronic of course is to utilize the stock distributor with a Pertonics conversion.
    I grew up with point type distributors, and was okay with them..todays off shore ignition components are simply not of the same quality they once were though.

joel, Frankie47, osage orange and 2 others like this.
  7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon guys, there's really only one (well kind'a) "traditonal" upgrade for points distributors, and that's a Vertex Mag. Still points tho...

8. I used a Pentronix electronic ignition on the Ranch Wagon when I was building the car, reason being a hotter spark and a more reliable ignition system, I have used these in the past and had nothing but praise for the setup, until it let me down in a turn lane on a busy intersection at rush hour on Friday afternoon when the car just died, no warning!

I have re-evaluated my thoughts and installed points and haven't worried about sitting on the side of the road, with points you can fix them on the side of the road or limp home, with the electronic ignition they are working or not, period! HRP

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...That's why the Hokey Ass Forum is open for inspired shit that looks Traditional but isn't as some stuff you can't see is not traditional but we can still play. I'm okay with that...I respect the traditional crowd...and for the most part meet the criteria minus a few issues. I feel no less a Hamber for my few inspired items.

As alluded a breakdown on ignition will be a tilt n' load.

egads, INVISIBLEKID, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All kidding aside, SIMPLICITY, in my eyes, is what makes Hot Rodding fun!
    No need to reinvent the wheel

egads, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ponder this. Electronics "Hotter Spark!!!" just to be killed with resistored wires and plugs.

12. And that is why I "UPGRADED".

Ben

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Those that can't adjust, clean or understand how points work{so simple a caveman,LOL} ya,they need them high $ smokebox things,when the smoke get out call a towtruck deals ! Not fixible,it's junk,but points can be made to work an get home.
    Thanks,I've towed a few buddy's home with my points in my Y-block Ford. T-bird powered "A" is fine pretty much as designed. Did go to alt. for bat sake. 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I upgraded my points ignition with an early '60's transistor module. Still uses points.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads, VANDENPLAS and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I agree 100%. I have worried over the exact same thing and I am ready to go “backwards” just for simplicity as my trips get longer and the miles pile up. If my OT distributor even hiccups the original one will go back in. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did you UPGRADE to?

17. primed34

primed34

Where's the best place to get a set of Chevy points now?

xsquiden likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fingers crossed not that I really worry about it...if it happens I get out of harm's way...my components may be offshore...don't know.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dana do you have a business card...:D

It's been 3 plus years now...and I expect another few months of fun, fun, fun.

dana barlow and 427 sleeper like this.
  20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Accel
    A good condenser is a different story...

egads and Stogy like this.
  21. F&J

F&J

"going backwards" (in time & function) is what the hamb was supposed to be about.

The points, condenser, cap & rotor in my Olds Rocket powered 32 are likely from the early 60s, as I got them at a local NOS/NORS parts warehouse, but I have never even looked at them since the car went on the road in Oct 2016.

it's my primary car, no Triple A, no cell, no spare parts in the car. I fear nothing.... except...perhaps me eventually getting too old to do anything :(

22. primed34

primed34

Thanks

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose you could call that Da Deal...Ya Work....Good...You F'up see ya later...just that easy peezy.

When it dies I go back...after a few expletives of course...:D.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

I never got 100,000 miles out of plugs with points but I never had to use anti seize on the plug with points

427 sleeper likes this.
  25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are trade-off's, but minor maintenance isn't really an issue in my book. But what do I know

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ You make a good point.

X-cpe, TimCT and Unique Rustorations like this.
  28. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. I'm stickin with points!
    I cooked 2 Pertronixs in my Edsel Roundup that has an overdrive. The way the O.D. unit functions is that there is a momentary short of the ignition system when the O.D. kicks in.

I"m pretty sure that momentary short is what eventually cooked those 2 Pertronixs.
    For the amount of miles that I run between my cars , the points are fine.
    AND easier to diagnose

Oldmics

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. lake_harley

lake_harley

This is OT from hot rods, but I was on a fun weekend motorcycle trip with a 175 Honda just a few years ago. Yeah, a 175. My brother-in-law was on a "big" bike, a 300 Yamaha. My Honda was running worse and worse as the 2nd day went on. I finally thought to check the points. They had closed up to where they were probably only breaking a few thousands of an inch which retarded the timing . I re-gapped them with the best thing I had....a business card. It was like a new bike all over.

My point (no pun intended) is that although electronics might do things points won't I feel pretty good about limping a set of points home. In the case of the 175.....I don't think I even bothered to change the points, but did reset them properly with a feeler gauge when I got home.

Lynn

stik70, egads and Unique Rustorations like this.