Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A steering box upgrade?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1930BeachRat, Apr 9, 2019.

1. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

What’s up everyone, I have a stock Tudor I’m hotrodding the Flat 4 in, my steering box needs to be rebuilt but I thought while I was at it to get something better.

My question is what’s something simple to use to replace it? What fits? I would love a 40s ford steering wheel. Any pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. No reason why you can use a 40 Ford steering column & box. HRP

1930BeachRat likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'35 and newer are cross steering...
    they steer the right wheel instead of the left like the model A...

1930BeachRat and 48fordnut like this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

model A is 11 to 1 ratio i believe, 32 13 to 1, 33-34 15 to one. 15 to one feels pretty darn good compared to original, but may be hard to find. most folks jump all the way to F1 or F100 boxes with 17 to one and a rolling sector against the worm. thats about like power steering on a model a. all will require you to weld a different mounting pad to fit your frame. all except the new box built like an F100 but with model A frame mount. about 600 bucks last i saw. i forget who makes them, but some one here will know. cheapest improvement is a shorter pitman arm, see brattons catalogue.

1930BeachRat likes this.

5. If you use the F100 you just need to trim the mount and shorten the column. There’s
    a guy on the Fordbarn that does them or you can do it yourself. Mines not 100% done yet.

***EDIT**** There you go Charlie has it, Randy Gross.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    1930BeachRat likes this.
  6. 1930BeachRat likes this.
  7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

1930BeachRat likes this.
  8. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

Awesome good information, what does the shorter pitman arm do give you more steer with less steering wheel travel?

9. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

Did you get one from Randy Gross or did you cut one to fit?

10. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

Gotcha I’m still getting use to the H.A.M.B. I’ll see about editing my profile

And thank you I contacted Randy!

11. I believe you are mistaken when you say a different mounted pad needs to be welded in, call Randy.

Charlie Stephens

12. The shortened pitman arm gives you less steer with the same wheel travel.

Charlie Stephens

1930BeachRat likes this.
  13. dwollam

dwollam

Shorter pitman arm makes steering easier but makes you turn the steering wheel a little more. I put the short arm on all my Model A's. Much better.

Dave

1930BeachRat likes this.
  14. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got one at a swap meet. it had the shaft cut off and the flange trimmed and drilled/tapped if i remember correctly. Needed more grinding and putting on my model a shaft and mast jacket was easy.

1930BeachRat likes this.
  15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have F100 boxes in both of my Model A's.

1930BeachRat likes this.
  16. rusty valley

rusty valley

randy gross doesnt ring a bell to me, i just know some one was casting a new box with f100 guts and a model a mount. i believe ted in new zeland was doing this too. at any rate they are good i've heard, but expensive. i think i was clear that this box, custom made for the a, is the only one that does not require you to make a new mounting pad. all others mentioned by me, need to be modified where it mounts to the frame, and then theres steering shaft length to deal with too, but thats another topic. there are many threads here with guys showing how to cut the flange off an f100 box and weld it on your model a mount if you are a do it yourselfer. happy motoring

1930BeachRat likes this.
  17. Randy modifies an original F100 box to bolt in as I said before without a new mounting pad. He deals with the steering shaft length so it is a bolt in to a Model A. This is a link to his ad with contact information: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260868&highlight=steering

Charlie Stephens

1930BeachRat likes this.
  18. rusty valley

rusty valley

interesting charlie, i thought some one was casting a whole new housing. perhaps flathead ted down under. at any rate, randys box needs no modification from the buyer, which was my point

1930BeachRat likes this.
  19. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

I have a Randy Gross steering box in my model A. Pricey at first glance but rebuilt , adapted to A steering column and bolt in to model A frame with no modifications. It IS like power steering. I'm very happy with it. Randy is a great guy to work with too.

20. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I have an f100 box I just modified would probably be a lot
    Easier with tha banger since you’ll have more clearance than with the v8

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

there was a recent thread on the barn stating you can use a 32 34 steering box with the model A sector shaft housing. the v8 steering shaft is smaller, so a steering wheel mod is needed, but that gets you up to 15 to 1 ratio from the A's 11 to 1, a great bolt on improvement.

22. I followed that thread on the barn and wondered why someone would go to all that work only to gain an improved ratio that could be accomplished by going to a shortened pitman arm. The big improvement came in '37 when they mounted the end of sector shaft in rollers (see attached pictures). The '37 was a cross steer and not an easy conversion to a Model A but the same design was used in the F100 steering box. You could probably do the F100 conversion at home but when I visited Randy Gross he showed me what he did and if I need to upgrade my steering his conversion is the way I would go.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_0962.jpeg IMG_0963.jpeg

ABONES likes this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

Charlie, its another option. my fleet on the road now, a stock A, a shortened pitman arm A, and a 34 tudor. the 34 is a much nicer thing to drive. i had an A with a f100 box, certainly the rolling sector and 18 to 1 ratio is a good thing. but! its big, if doing a v8 the clearance to exhaust is already minimal, most headers are out of the question, 4 bangers have more room, but the smaller 34 box is a good medium. especially for anyone thinking about a banjo or 40 ford wheel. myself, i have the parts, and can do the machine work to make it all work, and keep the 700 bucks in my pocket instead of buying one

24. Brant

Brant

Has anyone used a 1959 Chevy truck steering box for a hot rod build?
    I have an old 32 frame using one
    I originally thought it was f100
    Wondering if it will work as well as the ford unit?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app