Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Has Rockabilly (3rd incarnation) jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Yac, Apr 8, 2019.

1. I was just watching a Youtube video from 2014.. Some "The Count" looking guy named Chulo? and his lady had just just discovered 'billy in Reno.
    This being 2019, makes me wonder if it's on the downhill slide again. If so ,what's next?
    (Not sure what sub -section this belongs in . Mods please advise)

2. BJR

BJR

Jumped the Shark????:eek:

3. From the Happy Days episode when Fonzie jumped over a tank with a shark. That was the point when the show was on a downward spiral

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for splainin

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Last I checked this site is about traditional hot rods and customs.

Muttley, wbrw32, lurker mick and 4 others like this.
  6. Okay, fine ..Rockabilly, 1st incarnation , mid 50's..Closely related to hot rods and customs..
    And you relevant comment would be? ____________________.

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

I had to swallow a little bit of vomit listening to that.

Lynn

8. Thanks,memories.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's awesome! Hard to find actual traditional rockabilly these days. My friends, the Hot Rod Trio, do it pretty well. I don't care at all for the common punkabilly that gets played at car events these days. Talk about vomit.....

morac41 and Mark Yac like this.
  10. morac41

morac41

Traditional Rockabilly is strong in Australia and Europe....amazing the amount of young muso's interested in rockabilly and western swing

Blues4U likes this.
  11. misigis

misigis
    from NY

Hot Rod Race was answered with Hot Rod Lincoln.
    I'm younger than some of you & only know the Commander Cody version.

mechmitch likes this.
  12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I mentioned listening to Rockabilly on here while working on cars, once. Got shot down and deleted by mods almost instantly.

Mark Yac likes this.
  13. Western Swing, the original Rockabilly. Gotta Love it.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no matter what ya like listening to, don't forget to support National Record Store Day - this coming Saturday April 13 - Those Stores & Sites Need $$ To Keep Doors Open

15. Tommy, I'm actually surprised we're here still. I didn't make myself clear, I don't think.
    Nothing wrong with vintage, low dollar cars, built by younger guys. Nothing wrong with older music either. (unless on that vile "classic rock" format)
    I was actually wondering about "the scene" and "scenesters" both male and female.
    I figured it was close enough to the old car culture, and something a bit different to have fun with...
    So far, so good :D

tommyd likes this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a hopped up Model A

17. I went to the second or third Viva as a shakedown run on a friends A......I had my fill of the "the scene", most of the cars were nice though. It's all needed new and old to keep this thing alive, I can't go back to seeing pink painted chrome or billet everywhere I turn.......I can't. If that's what it takes to keep future generations started (and then hopefully into older original stuff), I guess it's ok......I dunno it's a double edged sword.

And by this "thing" I mean, cars, music, TROG, the Hamb, music.......everything.

18. Twin pipes and a Columbia butt ,,,means two carburetors and a overdrive
    For the folks that don't dig that jive,,,,

19. GeeRam

GeeRam

Back in the late 80's/early 90's the ONLY traditional style hots rods you'd see in UK, Sweden, rest of Europe (probably Aus as well?) etc were all owned/built by on the Rockabilly scene.
    Mind you the 'Rockabilly scene' in UK, Europe, Aus etc., has always been more traditional than what you've seen in USA these past 10-20 years.

morac41 likes this.
  20. morac41

morac41

Hi GeeRam I see a lot of young female muso's into the scene recently ..have followed Black cat trio in UK for years to watch the training of a upcoming female double bass player Donna....now with her own combo The Discoveries.....Im in my late 70's and still play just with friends for fun....