Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chasing Classis (over priced) Wayne Carani and TRJ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I enjoy the show due to the rarity of the cars featured. I never paid much attention to exotics or classics in the past, and certainly will never own one, but it's easy to appreciate their style and engineering.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    loudbang, The37Kid and Hombre like this.
  2. I find it a bit ironic that so many complain about all of these so called "car shows".
    I completely agree about the fake finds, drama, time lines, and general BS.
    Rarely if ever do they build a car to my taste, but yet I still find myself watching, soley because they're about cars, and I'm like a tweeker to meth, when it comes to cars.
    I can't help but think, that it may bring in some young blood into our hobby, that may not have had any interest without them.
    I consider it strictly entertainment rather than fact based programming, to be taken serious.
    Waynes show specifically has managed to survive without all of the BS.

loudbang, Speed~On and partsdawg like this.
  3. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i particularly like when roger talks about early sixties sportcar racing and calls the early cobras prostitutes

LBCD, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  4. 396/425

396/425

Roger...without a doubt makes the show worth watching.

wvenfield, loudbang and walter like this.
  5. lewislynn

lewislynn

At least he's classy enough to respect all car people...maybe even you.
    He didn't get to where he is by knocking how much the other guy might have paid for his shirt.
    He has class. Try it sometime.

302GMC, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  6. Wayne has taken full advantage of the opportunities given him, and shown grit and class in facing obstacles many folks would just throw their hands up at. We should all see a lesson in that. Love the show, hope Roger is on the mend. My heart rate always slows down when I watch his show. Hope to shake his hand someday.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Waynes show is good watching but comes up a bit short on build info...mostly because the most they do is refresh stuff to get a car driveable and ready to sell. Still one of the better shows though.

The show I like to watch that gives out some info you can learn stuff from and also shows some of the nastier aspects of rebuilding cars is "Iron Resurrection" with Joe Martin and his crew.

Doesn't seem to be any drama at all, just some playing around to relieve tension now and then.
    They get into trouble with hidden stuff and explain how the trouble can be dealt with, then show the actual work it requires.

I remember "Shorty" the paint guy talking about how much time it takes to do a correct job after the metal work is done.
    Filling, feather fill priming, 2K priming, board filing, re-priming, re-board filing and on and on. He described it as taking weeks at least and more commonly months to get to paint ready. There are no real shortcuts...you just deal with it...and it makes or breaks the entire job.

Odd...seems to take a day or two at ASS Monkey and the like. Those shows are for a different mindset of people...

catdad49, 383deuce, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. fuzzface

fuzzface

I watch chasing cars once in a while. it is one of the better ones.

My favorite to watch right now is Full custom garage. I can even get the wife to watch that one. Ian is up my alley and we seem to do stuff quite similar. we also like it that there is no added family drama. That is why I left the family business and went on my own. if I want drama I would go back to it live, I don't need to watch it. wife does have a soft spot for his dog though.

My next favorite was also mentioned above is iron resurrection.

I was starting to watch bad chad but that seems to be pulling in some drama too. I also liked his concepts or visions but I am not crazy on how he executes and his final product outcome. I think they could be done better. I haven't watch it lately now.

hidez57, loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Chads a great guy and the show doesnt do him justice. Shows can be edited to lean towards drama or stuff added to create it. Chads show has both going on I think. Chad has a quirky sense of style that either works for you or doesnt...but the thing to remember and consider is that he was given approx 6 months to build 5 vehicles from scratch. He did it too. Thats insane. Chads real attraction should be his build techniques to study how he does what he does so fast. We could all learn from that...even if the builds he does are a little off the wall. I remember looking at a 34 roadster body on a cobbled frame sitting in a shed. 1 year later it was a gold metalflake bubble top custom with a wild interior and a faux blown flathead engine. He has the most intense work ethic of anyone I've ever met!!! Fitz and I, when we knuckle down and get hard to work, call it "Getting our Chad on"...but theres actually no way to keep up with him in reality. I hope they give him less to do and focus on his work a bit more. He has a lot he can teach...

catdad49 likes this.
  10. hudson48

hudson48

I love Iron Resurrection also. Great talents there and they LOVE horsepower. Not a lot of HAMB friendly cars though. If I ever get to Lone Star Roundup in Austin I will definitely visit that shop.

loudbang likes this.
  11. The latest GOODGUYS magazine interviewed Wayne and the article was real interesting. Says there are only 3 people making the show. Him, producer and camera man. No retakes. He told them he’s not an actor.
    I like the show and his passion.

catdad49, Tin Lizzie and loudbang like this.
  12. Hombre

Hombre

I am with most of you guys. I really like Cirini's show and also hope that Rodger is doing well, he is an old and colorful guy wish him all the best.

I also like the Iron Resurrection show but I do wish they would use something besides those damn LS's engines. I only thought Small Blocks were boring the LS put a whole new dimension on that theme.

I also think that we as Hot Rod guys need to think about who is producing these Car TV shows. I mean these are, I would just bet, some cat's setting in an office somewhere in California making the choices on what is and what isn't Hot Rod related. Most of clowns wouldn't know a real Hot Rod is it bit them on the ass. They are not doing this to raise up this sport we all love they are doing it for the money. I also think that world they live in Must be full of drama, so they include it as much and as often as they can. Makes for a real turn off to a lot of real car guys. So when one show does come along that makes even a little sense it is such a relief that a lot of us watch.

That makes me wonder how a stupid infantile clown like that Richard Rawlings and his gas monkey crap stays on the air. All I can think of is there must be a lot of Pilgrim's out there who watch that crap, I know no one I know will ever admit they watch that show. And I pray they are telling the truth.

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ouch!
    Obvious you have never been in the situation of being a business owner that deals with hot rodders. And how important Swag is to us. I send a number of free calendars to many a vendor and personality with the hopes of getting a positive review on our little calendar. Magazine editors form Frieberger, to Just Steve. I have sent a few to this site. And I send 10 to a shop that has a show on TV, and my joy is seeing the calendar hanging on the wall in the background, because if they didn't like it, it wouldn't hang.
    So when I mention the possibility of TRJ sending a couple of shirts to Wayne, it is part of doing business.
    And Class is like Cool, you can't buy it, either you got it or don't, and I guess in your eyes I don't.,

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    32SEDAN and loudbang like this.
  14. fuzzface

fuzzface

That is what they claim that the majority of the general public want drama involved, not me. I hear it uptown too that is why they watch it. again not me, I watch them to learn new techniques, see their tools, etc. but not the drama.

I liked the storage shows also seeing I do the same thing but quite watching those too because they brought the drama in to raise ratings.

Another car show I like watching that I don't think was mentioned above is Wrenched. Never seen a frame table like theirs before and guess what NO BLEEPING DRAMA yet and they seem to be very talented.

15. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

It worked on me. Many years ago, Peter at Autoextremist gave a positive review of the Bonneville calendar. I order a new calendar every year.

loudbang likes this.
  16. CCC & Iron Resurrection & Wrench'd are my vote for watchable car shows.
    No drama b.s., no unrealistic timelines.
    Not my favorite show since Aaron left, but in my opinion it will be hard to beat the Monkey Pecker that Bass helped them build.
    I wonder how Bass liked all the drama?

17. fuzzface

fuzzface

I liked ass monkey when they were in the old shop and had the trailer for the office. haven't seen it in a quite a while now and I don't even think it is available in the package I have anymore.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Finally got to see the rerun of the show were Wayne bought a 1947 Indian Chief here in town. I mentioned it was in my backyard in an earlier reply, it really was close, back in high school I used the cut the lawn around the house were the Indian was stored. Never saw the bike on the road or knew it was there. Bob

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  19. Great show and I think Wayne is a real hot rodder at heart. Love Roger and sure hopes he keeps on doing his 4 hours a day on the show. Hell if I had Waynes $$$ I would pay Rogers bills if he needed help. Lot's of guys watch the show just because of Roger...

loudbang, Hombre and The37Kid like this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I enjoy CCC but I also enjoy a show out of Ontario, The Guild of Automotive Restorers. They hand built a Bugatti replica out of magnesium I believe. There was also another show out of Ontario a few years ago that delt more with Street machine/muscle cars but was very informative on howto do things. And way back when, out of Chico Ca., there was World of Collector Cars that demoed for example how to make plastic taillight lenses. I really crave how to shows as I learn better by watching than reading. It is just too bad that those kind of shows are few and far between.

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll throw in FathomWorks because you get to see what people have bought and they were/are POS in unsafe shape. Yes they probably spend way to much to get the car but wanted it. I like the end where we hear the hours and $$$ for parts. We all can guess the hourly rate... They also show how long it's in their shop. Like it or not there is some truth in it and not just TV.

The shitty shows none of us watch. Just like the street race stuff....it's drama for TV. But we do get to see a few of the Power Tour guys/winners.

The world came to an end when we all learned Charles Van Doren cheated on the TV quiz show "21" in the 50's...... It was TV and he and his family were shunned until his recent death......

Thank goodness for 300 Chanel's and Baseball.

vetteguy402 likes this.
  22. Silverplate

Silverplate

image.jpeg

2013 I met Wayne at Keels and Wheels. Very personable, asked me about my cars. Seemed very genuine. Anyone attending Keels and Wheels this year I will be there with a gorgeous 64 Chevy SS 409. Please look me up.

23. Spotted recently at Johnnie's Drive-In BAR-B-Q in Tupelo, Mississippi:

Wayne Carini in Johnnie's Drive In BBQ (Tupelo, MS) - in Elvis booth.jpg
    Wayne Carini in Johnnie's Drive In BBQ (Tupelo, MS) - taking photo with fans.jpg
    Wayne rockin' a TRJ "Lakester Tee" ... designed by @JeffreyJames

catdad49, loudbang and Speed~On like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

In town for the auction for sure! Bob

loudbang and HEMI32 like this.