Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why do I take Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Apr 7, 2019.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

That a question I keep asking my self and then the june 2019 issue shows up. A good saver article on TV cables I really liked the Sonnax performance TV valve and spring kit for 700r4..

Hnstray likes this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They sent me a special offer and I could not get interested. If I'm missing it, let me know.

3. Road Racer

Road Racer

$20 for three years, I re-upped after a few months off for that price.

Gizzy, classiccarjack and Hnstray like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ditto. I figure if ONE article is really useful, it's worth the price of the subscription.

Driver50x likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I know how you guys feel.When my current subscription runs out that is it! TRJ is moving east & I plan to subscribe to it...……..

glorydime and Doctorterry like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Can't argue with that human phenomenon........but I tend to stop digging when I find myself in a hole.
    In the case of HRM, the article mentioned in post #1 is a good example of 'being worth the price of the subscription".........Good articles in Hot Rod are also an example of "even a stopped clock is correct twice a day" :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. big bird

big bird

Just got the June issue...
    My subscription has now run out, this is my last issue. Flipped thru it for 5 minutes and I'm done. Can't see renewing it.
    Hot Rod Magazine has been more "Ho-Hum" than "Hot Rod" for the last year, year and a half.
    It runs in cycles. Maybe I will try again in a few years...

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

almost all of the newer writers that I met in the past 5 years are gone now...the only one left is Jacob Davis. Of course, he managed in the latest issue to fill two pages with neat pictures of old junk that I just love

Pete L., Nostrebor and Doctorterry like this.
  10. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

HRM lost its edge when Thom Taylor left the editorial staff. I don’t subscribe to very many car related magazines anymore, and a virtually never buy them off the rack.
    Bad thing is that I really don’t think I am missing anything.

papadaddio and Doctorterry like this.
  11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I just read my 50-60’s issues.

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Been a subscriber since 1964 and have all issues stored. Well almost, may have lost one or two. Guess I’ll keep on keeping on!

Bones

Pete L. and joel like this.
  13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you described the building of a hot rod without meaning to.

14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I like having reading material around the house. I subscribe to HOT ROD because
    of the subscription rate and that's about it. Reading about new $90,000 Challengers
    and $80,000 Camaros, along with the barn finds, has become a drag. It's not a total loss
    but the uninteresting articles far outnumber the interesting.

15. I have subscribed to Hot Rod non stop since 1957. Last month was my last issue. Finally gave up and accepted that I am no longer in the target audience.

16. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Turbo and LS and coyote motor... those 3 terms are enough to make me throw a magazine away haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

papadaddio, Moriarity and Stogy like this.
  17. RDR

RDR

Same here Dean !
    Just had to quit as I Can Not Relate to what is in them anymore....Price is amazingly LOW, but..Sorry, not even reading maybe 1 or 2 articles IF even That !
    SAD....:(

papadaddio likes this.
  18. upspirate

upspirate

dan31 and scotty t like this.
  19. mickeyc

mickeyc

I am staring to develop similar views of Hot Rod Deluxe. A recent issue had a 7 page photo article about a Model A coupe that I found rather blase. Just a normal 350-350 type semi painted and nothing especially or even mildly unique. A boring text trying to make it seem special and worthy of consideration. Come on guys 7 pages? The latest issue is a little better with some interesting gassers and such. I find it to be little more than a display of the old Peterson publishing photo archives. Which is not a bad thing. I do still buy most issues after a quick peruse of the content. I have passed on a few however.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I quit taking it a few years ago. Don't miss it at all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Early Ironman likes this.
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed when they offered a killer deal for a 3 year subscription. Its up in a couple of months and I won't renew. Nothing in it anymore for my tastes. Lots of fluff and not much more.

papadaddio likes this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

Practically every month I’m finished reading it in a half hour or so. I am seriously considering sending Marlan Davis (the only name I recognize other than Finnegan and he is now their video guru) an email to stop sending this crap and just keep my money. I’m current through Sept. 2020 and I really regret having renewed.

23. My Dad always took advantage of the Buy and Sub/Give a Sub deal they run around Christmas time. he would always buy one for himself and give me the gift sub.
    Now that he is passed (and i spent over a year getting his copy and my copy delivered to my house) I will probably not renew. As others have said, lots of "cookie cutter" cars, show room hot rods, etc. I can get through an entire issue in one bathroom visit...
    I may re-up my sub to street-rodder for one more year...at least the cars are in my wheel house.
    having a sub to TRJ is a tough act for these other mags to follow, and its hard not to compare them to each other.
    Chappy

HemiDeuce likes this.
  24. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I have to say I agree with everything already said. Several years ago my subscription ran out and I told my wife don't bother to renew it. She said "but you've been getting it for 50 years" then she went ahead and renewed just because. I get Street Rodder only because my subscription to Rod and Custom rolled over to it. Most of the car features in it are just a list of aftermarket companies parts used on it. The only thing good about either of them is that I pass them on to my 14 year old grandson and he has an interest that I want to feed.

Pete L., trollst and quick85 like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

HRM hasn't been the same since Pat Ganahl left.....

That's about how long it's been since I subscribed to it.

26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I do take Street Rodder also. But, it's not what it used to be either. Still worth getting though.

27. ...been a magazine nut forever, still subscribe to a bunch of em, love getting them in the mail even if they don't interest me like the older ones did.,...once in awhile they have a great issue or article,...cheaper to subscribe than to buy a few now and then...

Pete L., lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

You're right on that.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

For me, I have vehicles beyond 'Traditional Hot Rods' and as such, an article every so often is handy to have.
    The most recent is the one about water injection to cool superchargers without the need for an inner-cooler, yes OT for here, but for our Land Speed StreetRoadster that will be in the blown class later this year and with no room for an inner-cooler, it was helpful.

classiccarjack and ffr1222k like this.
  30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I subscribed to HOT ROD for a good 20 years. they lost me during the pastel and tweed days and I never resubscribed. don't even look at it at the store when I buy my HOT ROD Deluxe.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    texasred and Atwater Mike like this.