Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mecum Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Anyone see the beautiful 1926 or 27 Ford that was triple black go through the auction?
    High bid was $26,000 and then the bidding just seemed to stop and they rolled the car away and after it was out of sight they announced that it was sold.

The car looked perfect and the paint job on the car looked like it must have cost a bundle of money.
    $26,000 Thousand seems really low for such a beautiful car like that.
    Jimbo

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Wasn't watching. Hopefully someone grabbed a screen shot. Sounds intetresting.

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

with this crappy winter we had, I watched more of the auction stuff than I wanted to. yes the prices continue to decline on a lot of the hotrod stuff. not all but a lot. its a shame on what you spend to build a nice complete car, and now what most are worth. but again its a generational thing. but to me ,with this uncertain economy, most all the auction stuff is down. oh well, back to the garage. DRIVE ON.

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Is this it? a stocker? I did a search on their site and this is the only black T sold
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0419-373002/1926-ford-model-t-coupe/

Torana68 likes this.

5. robracer1

robracer1

I don't know but for a stock T seems like a fair price?

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The stock T was Not the car I saw go across the block.
    It was a roadster with a SB Chevrolet engine in triple black and it looked like a car that could have been on the front page of Hot Rod Magazine it was so beautiful.
    It seemed like there must have been no reserve on the car because the bidding just stopped at $26,000 and they rolled it away without bringing down the hammer on it. Once the car was out of sight they announced that it had sold!

They never said if it sold for $26,000 or there was another offer made to the owner of the car.
    Regardless of the price the car sold for a lot less then it cost to build it.
    Someone must have really needed the money bad to except that low of an offer for such a beautiful car.

Jimbo

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

was it the Houston sale? I searched the sale list and the coupe I posted was the only black T in the sale...

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw one that I believe was it but it was a street rod...it was a black roadster, deuce grille looked near tubbed OT wheels I'll post a link but I think it's not Hamb Friendly good deal or not.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Moriarity likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

^^ Fiberglass. To be honest, I wouldn't even pay that much for it, not my style at all.

Moriarity and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just want to know if this is what @Jimbo17 was referring too. And yes it is OT Steel or glass.

Squablow likes this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

Good point, this one might not even be the one in question, hadn't thought of that.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It did say it was sold and it was recent.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, I have an account with them that allows you to see the prices. it sold for 27,500 (hammer price plus fees) so that is probably it. I just assumed the op was talking about the live auction running in Houston and not some rerun event from months ago. and yes as off topic as they come plus fiberglass, I am surprised it went as high as it did. no accounting for some peoples tastes I guess.....

Squablow and Stogy like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

The OP said triple black (paint, upholstery, top), so that car can't be the one he saw on TV. But yes, the sale price of the car in the link does seem like a lot for a glass Speedway kit.

Moriarity likes this.