Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Interesting story about that picture, it surfaced a few years ago on here. A friend of mine was writing a fiction novel about growing up in the 50's. It was about a group of young boys making the transition from bicycles to getting their first cars, and raising hell along the way. When he was shown this picture, he was able to get the right to use it on his book cover. It provided a hook for the public to notice the book, and is partly responsible for the book, and sequel's resounding success ! IMG_2828.JPG

1947knuck, rustednutz, 40two and 8 others like this.
  2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rustednutz, Lil32, HEMIDAV and 3 others like this.
  3. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Very well said. As a Los Angeles native, I fully agree with your comments. Over the years, I have lived for periods all over the country, TX, FL, NY, NJ, GA, AK, NOLA and enjoyed those places a lot. However, even with all the changes SoCal still feels like home and is definitely the place for us car enthusiasts.

HEMIDAV, jnaki, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  4. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

View attachment 4244007

Hello,

The 1956 photo shows the original Angels Flight with the neighboring tunnel. Some people have said that the yellow cab is a Checker Cab as they were popular in Los Angeles. But, The 1956 through 1958 A8 Checkers featured single headlights, 1953 Chevrolet taillights, and a thick, single-bar grille.

So, the general consensus is that the yellow cab in the photo is a 1956 Plymouth.

My dad introduced us to the Angels Flight, as it was a short cab ride from his work in downtown Los Angeles. My brother and I were thrilled to see the sharp, angle slope rise as we went up and the views down were pretty awesome, too. (similar, but different city wise to the castle in Salzburg, in Europe) But, for an awesome city view from a moving tram, up or down, the Angel’s Flight should not be missed, the next time anyone is in Los Angeles.

Jnaki

Recently, the Angel’s Flight trams have been in story after story during the TV series, Bosch. It is one of LA’s visitor's sights to see. Angels Flight is a landmark 2 ft 6 in narrow gauge funicular railway in the Bunker Hill district of Downtown Los Angeles, California. It has two funicular cars, Sinai and Olivet, running in opposite directions on a shared cable on the 315 feet long inclined railway. It is the shortest railroad in the world.

[/QUOTE]
    The cab in the photo is a '55 Plymouth. Yellow Cab had a monopoly in Los Angeles and nearly their entire fleet was '55 and '56 Plymouths. In most cases, the center grille piece was knocked out and replaced by the front license plate. There were virtually no Checkers in the fleet and I never saw one until visiting Chicago in '58. All the Yellow Cabs had the phone number MA 5 -1234 displayed on them. In a way, cab service was better with the Yellow Cab monopoly in that you always got a decent vehicle with the Plymouths, quick response, drivers who didn't need to be told how to get to the destination.

HEMIDAV, jnaki, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  5. Petriu8

Petriu8

Bleach, are you using something different to post your pics recently? The last few weeks, most of them just show as an tag. If I refresh the page, the images appear for a few seconds then are replaced by that tag.
    Every other poster's photos show up fine.
    Is anyone else having this trouble viewing Bleach's pics?
    Pete

Bleach and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. j3harleys

j3harleys

I don't like that kid in the drivers seat. HE reminds of ME:D

Danny Brown, Al G, Bleach and 2 others like this.
  7. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

8. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY!------Put some more air in that rear tire!!!!!!!!!

Turnipseed, Bleach and Hamtown Al like this.
  10. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

are those real or fake? ( i’m talking about the white walls...)

Attached Files:

j3harleys, 61Cruiser, HEMIDAV and 3 others like this.
  11. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

12. Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HEMIDAV, Al G, Bleach and 1 other person like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, right!.... :D:rolleyes::D

14. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

^^^ Could this guy have possibly pulled his pants up any higher? Sheesh!

rustednutz, Dave Mc and Bleach like this.
  15. Pete, I've been posting the same way for a quite a while. It's possible that this tag you mention comes from photobucket pages. I don't see it on either computer I use. Can you post a screen shot of the tag?

HEMIDAV and chryslerfan55 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.