Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Bohmann, Apr 2, 2019.

1. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone can restore a car. It's like paint by numbers. It takes a real man to cut one up.

loudbang, jimgoetz, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  2. I was thinking the early ford OHV sixes were 215 cu. in. Maybe that's what the chalk numbers mean?

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

My '61 Motor's Manual says '53 was 215, '54 and up 223 cu in for the six cyl's.

FWIW I had a '54 Customline 2dr six, ran dead even with my cousin's '55 Chev 2dr six in a back road "acceleration comparison" back in the day. I always thought it was a very underrated engine by most gearheads.

4. Try Steele Rubber, go to their site and enter all your car info and a shopping list pops up. I got my window felts at the link below. For the record, I have never bought anything from Macs. Carpenter has been good, check C & G Ford, they have lots of stuff. I buy on eBay too. If you don't have one, get the factory shop manual for the car, around $40 on eBay.
    http://www.frpartsstore.com/

Jeff Bohmann likes this.
  5. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

I’ll check them all out, from what I have been seeing, 100 bucks and up per pair is going to be the norm. I already bought the shop manual from rock auto..lots of info in there.

6. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

So i noticed in my efforts to hurry and finish up the front end disassembly before the rain came, I forgot to remove the sway bar. So removed that today and did a quick inventory of my parts. I noticed I am missing the idler arm bushing so I ordered one on eBay and one on amazon as they were the fastest promised ship dates. Should at least have one of them in time to start my reassembly after the weekend. Taking all the front end parts to work with me for my weekend shift and I can soak them in the parts tank and the blast and paint. Have to cut a coil off the spring, or I should say a half a coil. I’m sure something else will come up missing as far as parts but hopefully I’ll have everything I need to start to assemble on Monday.
    I’ll post pictures of the front end as I go and try to list the parts I’m using. Like I said before, I am keeping a pretty detailed build sheet/book so all part numbers will be documented.
    Feel free to contact if you want any information as to what I’m using as far as parts and numbers. Happy to share.

7. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Picture of the marking on the firewall. Really like to know what it means.

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

CA07A44D-6D78-4D4A-A0AA-53E645026F0D.jpeg Here is a mystery to me. I cut the drive shaft with a cutoff wheel so I could keep the yoke in the transmission when I yanked the motor and transmission. I found a sleeve of cardboard inside the drive shaft. Anyone have any idea why it’s in there? Kinda trivial, I know but just one of those things that drive me crazy not knowing.

9. The tubes are installed to cut down on noise. I absolutely love your choice of engine. Best way to update an old Ford!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

studebaker46 and Jeff Bohmann like this.
  10. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Thanks, I kinda was wondering if it was sound dampening.

11. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

So is it really necessary? I’m making my own drive shaft. Have the 3” DOM tube and the weld on drive shaft yokes. Anything else that can be done to cut noise?

12. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Spray in foam maybe?

13. I was told the cardboard was put in after the first end yoke was welded on and then when the second end was welded the cardboard would burn some causing a Vacuum so the weld wouldn't have a blow hole in it.

Jeff Bohmann likes this.
  14. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

When I bought the 3” DOM drive shaft tube, it came delivered in a cardboard sleeve. Maybe I could cut a groove down the length of the cardboard tube and slide it inside of my steel tube like a tension pin. Good way to get rid of the cardboard tube.

I also was thinking about a spray in foam. Just leave a few inches if each end of the weld yoke. Could actually spray the inside of the tube with spray in foam and then protect the foam with some ceramic ( k-wool) insulation that we use for welding.

Got some time to think about it. Just not sure how noisy it would be if I just made the drive shaft with no sound deadening.

15. Somebody with earmuffs on asked what time the afternoon break was...

54vicky and Jeff Bohmann like this.
  16. I believe you may be over thinking things on the drive shaft. I have cut apart way more shaft's with nothing in them than ones with cardboard in them. Also I would not use any kind of spray in anything that could cause a heavy spot inside. That could easily cause a balance issue, you don't want that. My local Drive line service drills an 1/8" hole in the tube 2" from an end. Once the ends are on and cooled off he plug welds the hole shut. That's how he keeps his perimeter welds solid. I'd go that route.

54vicky likes this.
  17. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Your car,
    Build it the way you want it. Remember there are restorers,hot rodders,rat rodders,street rodders,muscle car enthusiasts and the like. Different tastes, but in the end, you must be the one who must be pleased. By the way nice car. I personally like the direction you are taking.

Com4tablynumb and Jeff Bohmann like this.
  18. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Thanks, hopefully things won’t come to a grinding halt.....went into work today only to find out I’ve been laid off. About 20 employees in all...survived 11 years of ups and downs at the company, but this time I got caught in the crossfire...

19. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Sorry to hear that. I know it’s a real shock. You show a lot of talent. I hope you find some thing that you will enjoy. Don’t fret over your project, it will be there when you are ready to resume. First things first, take care of you and your family. Every thing else is secondary. Wish you the best.

20. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Thanks, yes really in shock, especially the next day when you get up for work at 4Am for a job you no longer have...I guess the next day is when it really sets in.

21. I just found this thread. I am die hard Chevy 6 guy, but I have to follow a build of anyone who's Avatar is a Bassett Hound!

Jeff Bohmann likes this.
  22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My 16 year old Basset died last June, best dog I ever had. That must be why I like you guys, the damn avatars!

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  23. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Hopefully I’ll get myself another job soon so I can get back on track with my build and get it done so I can take my boys for a cruise....they love riding in the car. Was really hoping to see them hanging out the back window of the 54 with ears flapping in the breeze.

s55mercury66 and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  24. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

I think I’m damn jinxed. My last build, a 35 Chevy rat rod pick up, I had to sell because I was out of work for nearly a year after an accident and two brain surgeries. Had to sell the project to stay afloat while I was off work. Two years later I started feeling good enough to try another build and a few days into the project, I get laid off do to lack of work. I swear there is something or someone out there that is trying to keep me from finishing a car.

25. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Sorry to hear that, they are awesome dogs, great companions...big dumb, stubborn clowns..but awesome.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  26. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

So I’ll be back at it soon..my plan to sandblast and paint the front end parts at work over the weekend we’re so rudely interrupted by my company laying me off on Friday. So I have to see if I can find someone to help me out and press the control arm bushings out and replace for me. I’ll have to clean them up the best I can with a wire wheel..

Good news is, I have already accepted a position at another company doing the same thing, on the same weekend shift for a little less money but six minutes from my house instead of an hour drive. So I’m set back a little as I had to weld test at the new employer all day today and tomorrow have to drug test. And then find someone to do my bushings. But at least I’m employed again and I’ll be back at it soon. Hoping the next couple days.

27. robertallinson

robertallinson

ford is my all time favorite i have been running since 2002 now a day i am driving ford raptor truck which is insanely powerful, using for personal use and as well as for car towing service. btw great job done by you.

Jeff Bohmann likes this.
  28. Right now my dream would be a layoff with the severance package they usually give out. Turn it around into something good.

29. I did my bushings myself. But a '59 Ford may be a tad different, the uppers screw in and are a challenge. Take pictures and some measurements before you or anyone else takes them apart.

30. 54vicky

54vicky

Bob they press in and you need a press to help.from memory they go in a certain way good advice on pictures as with any job.they are the same from 54 to 56 and oddly checker cab.on the question about the 215 as someone suggested it is probably to indicate the 215 motor by some old mechanic so in future they would know size.saving time for next guy looking for id on size of motor

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Jeff Bohmann likes this.