Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chasing Classis (over priced) Wayne Carani and TRJ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Apr 1, 2019.

1. I like watching the auto shows produced by obvious non car guys. Currently watching fantom works. A model at the beginning of the show had polished control arms and coil overs then half way into the show the car has a butched up factory m2 x member with stock arms. My kids giggle watching period movies or shows with me. I have to point out a early 70s school bus used in a movie based in the mid 60s. Or the tv show based in the early 50 with a F1 truck spirting rally wheels on it. This must be why I think chasing classic cars is boring

loudbang likes this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Yep thats it :cool: As a lot of you know he started The GO KART company and actually raced them until shortly before he passed.

loudbang likes this.
  3. fleetside66

fleetside66

Another vote for the best car related show on TV. I hope Roger is able to keep up his participation in the show, because he's a real mechanic, historian & entertainer, all rolled up in one enjoyable package. The last few shows have been an hour, which I hope will be permanent. And, no spraying sparks or welding with heads turned aside.

catdad49, settoon3, j hansen and 6 others like this.
  4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I met him and Skip Barber at a Limerock Car Show in Ct., nice guys, they gave me some nice complements on my 32 build. I told Wayne , " hay I watch your show once and a wile !"

catdad49, Hnstray, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. I hope Roger stays with the show,,,one of my main reasons for watching it...

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

2X on that. I saw an episode in which he was doing something special for his daughter and right then I knew he must be ok. And I appreciate the fact that he puts it out there for others to see so dibilitating conditions are not hidden but hopefully accepted.

catdad49, 383deuce, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  7. hudson48

hudson48

As well as being an expert on European cars Wayne is also a hot rodder/custom car guy. From memory he has a rare Hudson Italia, a 32 roadster and a Steve Moal built roadster and a custom Muntz that was done decades ago and runs an Oldsmobile or Caddy engine. Will look for pictures but just Google Wayne Carini car collection.

loudbang and WDobos like this.
  8. Hombre

Hombre

Chappy, I remember that episode very well. That Ferrari had been owned by a old customer of Wayne. I believe his name was Herb Chambers and he owns a bunch of car dealerships. He purchased that Daytona as a gift to himself and had only owned it a little less than a year when he wrecked it. Insurance did its thing and the car was gone. Then like 10 years or so later Cirini hears of a Daytona for sale in California. He gets the guy to send him copy's of the paper work and that is how he discovered that the car in Ca was the same as his old customer's from years ago. The wrecked Daytona had been rebuilt and resold. Wayne gets a hold of herb and they go out there and Herb buys the car on the spot I think for a million dollars. If I am remembering correctly old Herb had another Daytona at home it was a coupe. So I guess when you have that kind of bucks a couple of Ferrari's are no big deal...

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  9. Wayne's show is one of the few I could stomach when we still had cable. Now we 'stream' TV shows or something.... The best part of the show for me was watching ol' Roger work on something & offer his opinions. I know his health had fallen off. Any update on Roger. Wasn't he an old school SCCA champ or something?? Thanks!

loudbang, tractorguy and The37Kid like this.
  10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

For the most part these are only TV shows, do you ever see these guy's hands dirty, well maybe once in awhile just for looks. Just watch it for the fun of it.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

When you are painting a car the idea is to NOT get your hands dirty. Wayne and his Dad painted some of the finest cars on the East Coast. Bob

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Speed~On like this.
  12. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

I miss Gas Monkey Garage. Did the monkey die???

nochop, czuch and tractorguy like this.
  13. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Wayne's got the bucks to do what he wants, when he wants. He is a multi-faceted car guy with his fingers into almost all forms of the car hobby. I watch his show(and noticed the Rodder's Journal t's) and appreciate what he does and how he does it. I only wish it was me. Party on Wayne!

302GMC, vetteguy402, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. tractorguy

tractorguy

If I remember correctly, Roger was an SCCA Formula V champion of some sort way back in the day

craig b blue and loudbang like this.
  15. Fordors

Fordors

No, he is still drinking beer and running his hands through his hair.

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  16. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I watch CCC, Wayne seems to be a stand up guy and I wish I knew half as much as his mechanic does. American Pickers? NOT SO MUCH. Use to watch every week and I use to buy and sell antiques on the side, THEM & STORAGE WARS HAVE RUINED IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE. (some indirectly, as people start trying the same thing, after watching the show). Their show is BS, very reliable sources that personally work close with them. They do not own the business together, the show never would have went forward with just Mike, this is were Frank comes in, He owns his own antique store in Northern Illinois. The stuff they sell in IA and Nashville has BS prices on them, its a tourist trap for t-shirts and merch. There's no way you can go cross country buy a few things, gas, hotel, food and make a living. Period. That van would have to be dragging back to IA, with stuff falling out the back..Think about it, at the end, Mike says " I bought so and so for $100 I'm going to ask $250.00. Then Frank does the same thing. If they owned the business together., there would be no need for this. Yes, I'm bitter!

17. 54vicky

54vicky

tell us how you really feel:D:D

18. Yes, Chasing Classic Car and Full Custom Garage are the only car shows I watch.

I don't always find the cars that Wayne Cirini buys and sell interesting but no crazy prices or made for T.V. drama.
    Same goes for Full Custom Garage. Ian Roussel's style of cars don't match my taste but he is building and getting in to some tech. No yelling tool throwing fake family feuds or New York City accents!

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I think we all would be doing what wc is doing if we could.cant fault him. he was in the right spot at the right time. don't know anything about the isky deal, so I wont comment. but isky is a great guy, met him several times, and spent some time with him. he doesn't deserve to be screwed around by anybody. i enjoy rodger, quite the character!

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  20. Tony (@typo41) -

Just an FYI ...

I know from a reliable source that Wayne wears those TRJ tee-shirts with pride ... He was really honored to have his (Moal Coachbuilder's built) '32 Speedway featured in issue Number Seventy One of the Rodder's Journal:

TRJ #71 Newstand Cover.jpg

TRJ #71 - Speedway Special.jpg
    Automotive buff and TV personality Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars may live in Connecticut, but when he decided he wanted a hot rod speedster, he knew it had to be built at Moal Coachbuilders in Oakland, California. Inspired by the homemade sports rods of yesteryear, the sleek “Moal Speedway” is based on a set of original ’32 Ford rails and hand-formed body. Underneath the hood, Carini opted for a bored Ford flathead with Navarro heads and a pair of Strombergs. Steve Coonan & Geoff Miles (@TRJ) photographed this one-of-a-kind roadster while attending the Amelia Island Concourse d’Elegance in northern Florida.

Here's a couple video clips from the CHASING Classic CARS "Whip It Good" episode:

Custom Concepts Just for Wayne.JPG
    Custom Concepts Just for Wayne
    Steve Moal, a custom coachbuilder based in California, is commissioned to
    build a custom ride for Wayne, who comes to town to check out his designs.

Wayne's Big Surprise
    Steve Moal arrives with Wayne's finished custom.

21. pnevells

pnevells

Chasing Classic cars is my favorite of the car shows, I met Wayne a few years back at an Autism Speaks fund raiser, he is just a car guy like the rest of us

22. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Wayne show is the best. No phony deadlines and wanna be movie stars. Chip Fosse is good but his HUGE ego gets in the way. Danny the 'Count " is complete bullshit. Dave Kindig is okay . The rest are infomercials wrapped by up in commercials.

j hansen, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

CCC is a good show for me to watch. Wayne seems really down to earth and knowledgeable when he talks. I also like Roger, he knows what he is doing unlike most of the other mechanics on TV shows. I hope the show continues for a long time

vetteguy402, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  24. dan31

dan31

Wayne's show seems to be the best , no fake stuff. Isn't everybody sick and tied of the fake deadline bull shit. This has been part of the t.v. car show formula since they started and yet apparently no shop i have ever worked with has embraces this policy.:confused:

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  25. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Roger has had some serious health issues. Apparently he did not have medical coverage or workman’s comp- so some folks set up a GoFundMe page to help with the expenses. Let’s hope he gets better soon.

26. loudbang

loudbang

Wayne has always been good to the Troopers that work in his area. If I remember correctly one of our retired guys worked for or with Wayne. The episode I liked the best is when he got some "barn find" Real Cobras and got at least one all roadworthy. He brought the 427 version to some show and took a youngster with medical problems, who was a big cobra fan, for a ride around town somewhere and Wayne got on it a bit and the look of joy on that kids face was priceless.

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

I feel kinda left out, I've never seen CCC or Gas Monkey or Kindig. We don't have cable or dish just network TV with one of those little stick things. I found myself wasting more and more time watching "stuff" and getting nothing done so when I retired, I retired the DirecTV too.

Hombre likes this.
  28. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I met Wayne a few years ago at Keels And Wheels here in Texas. Most down to earth guy ever. Even with a TV crew following him around, he spent 10 minutes talking with me. He is the real deal. Extremely knowledgeable about cars. Like his show or not, he is an awesome guy.

29. hudson48

hudson48

Did some more research on the Muntz and found some info including an earlier post on here in December 2008. Built by Joe Bailon.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1952-muntz-jet-convertible-custom.317775/
    1952MuntzJet_01_700.jpg

30. j3harleys

j3harleys

HE should have medicare or VA benefits. I wish him well and a full recovery

loudbang likes this.