Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hook It vs Stick It DA Paper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by s55mercury66, Apr 1, 2019.

?
  1. Hook It

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Stick It

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Doesn't matter to me

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just curious after decades of using both, which do you prefer to use, and why do you like your choice.

2. I liked the hook it, until I found they changed which one had the hook, and which one had the loop. so I stopped using it and just get a roll of stick it.

RMR&C, 57 Fargo and Texas Webb like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Stick it, I like fresh sand paper with the cost of hookit I feel I have to use the shit out of it. I block with the DA so new paper is a necessity.

427 sleeper likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Stick on, never tried the velcro stuff.

5. I like Hook it. You can remove the sandpaper and change grits easily. You can save a partially used piece for later without the adhesive getting ruined by dust.

da34guy and bct like this.
  6. Stick it. Also handy to use on small sanding blocks for tight areas. Or fold it over for hand sanding anything. I have a cheap electric orbital I use with DA paper....works great for stripping paint or light rust.

7. bct

bct

I agree

da34guy likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

At home I have the stick it. At school we have the hook it with holes, the DAs have vacuum hookups. You can sand an entire car in your Sunday duds, plus the paper doesn't seem to clog or wear out as fast. But I have no idea what it costs.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I use stick on mostly , but I have learned that the paper it is on is so important. HF paper backing cracks , grrrrr

36coach likes this.
  10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use em both. Hook it for ease of changing, but stick on for contoured or flat blocks when hand sanding.

11. I use stick it... when done with it on the DA I fold it in half and do edges... double duty :)

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Does anyone else remember 3M Feathering Disc Adhesive? Before hooks or stickies that is what we had. I went back to it because I don't do enough bodywork to use up a roll of stickies. So I buy sheets of sandpaper, glue it on the orbital and cut around with an old pair of scissors. It saves money and I don't have to buy paper I don't need.

13. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yes, I remember the adhesive. Used it a lot in the 70’s. Been using the self stick since it came out.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Me too. I don't remember if it was the adhesive or self stick type that if you left it on too long the paper wouldn't want to come off. Lots of picking little pieces one at a time.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You had to heat the paper up with a torch then it would peel off. Every once in a while you needed to clean off the old glue with a rag and thinners. No doubt the sticky discs were more convenient and so are the hook and eye.

16. if its been a while, run it for a bit to get some heat into it and it will come off,,, but you need to remember that before you start picking.

stick it,
    and i have a can of cheap spray tac from the craft store so changing back and forth and reusing is pretty easy. the spray tac is great for other stuff too. lay out your custom made parts on graph paper, s[pray tack the paper to the steel and saw cut, drill, etc

reagen and 56premiere like this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I too, remember the disc adhesive, first in a tube, then in a little spray can. I found a can at the last collision shop I worked at last year, it had probably been there since the '80's. How many will admit to using it for trim adhesive in a pinch? :rolleyes:

Wrench666 and Hollywood-East like this.
  18. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I agree, Starting from here:
    [​IMG]

and going to an eventual mirror polish via this:

[​IMG]

Involves using quite a lot of fine grit discs of various grades on my DA, changing back and forth is easy with hook and loop discs.

19. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I apprenticed in the body shop at our local Chevy dealer in 73 and stayed in that trade on and off until the early 80's. Sticky paper was just starting to show up when I switched to welding as a career around 1980. At that time sticky paper cost about twice what bare paper cost. So when the sample rolls of sticky paper left for us by the paint stores ran out that's all we got, the shops wouldn't buy any. I still have several boxes of bare paper in my shop to use up. I was too cheap to buy the sticky stuff too. I do have a couple rolls of it now, just because nobody (around here at least) stocks bare paper or the "Feathering Disc Adhesive".
    Haha, I'd never heard of Velcro paper til now, it must really be expensive.

reagen likes this.
  20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Stick it here, started with tube, then spray..

21. I prefer hookers to stickers

BamaMav, da34guy and reagen like this.
  22. I like the hook stuff, easy to change in dusty environments and with funky hands. It stores a lot longer too.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, used to use the 3M feathering disc adhesive. Red and white tube IIRC. If it got too hot, like a hot day and a lot of friction, the discs would fly off like a clay pigeon, lol!

Back in 80's/90's at the Pomona Swap Meet some old guy ("the sandpaper man") had a sellers space where he sold reams of sandpaper really cheap. It came out to 10-15 cents a sheet. It was good stuff too-3M, etc. Socal Aviation industry surplus. He also carried files, drill bits and aircraft type metal working tools. I'd watch TV (NASCAR race, etc) and trace discs and cut out a stack with big ass scissors.
    I go with peel n stick now.

whiteknuckle likes this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I remember that. A pain in the you know what.

25. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Ha...I used to use the spray 3M disc adhesive. About ten years ago I went to the paint store to get some more. I couldn't find it on the shelf where I thought it should be, so I asked for it and they didn't know what I was talking about. I explained to them what it was and they said nobody uses that anymore, all the discs now have the adhesive already on them. Say what? Now there are discs with hooks.......I just can't catch up!

26. Hook stuff is good, but eventually the DA side wears out and won't stick to the discs anymore. You can buy the stick-on backing which you use to convert the stick-on type to the Velcro (hook) type. Usually a good time to replace the thin sponge backing pad on the sander too.

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got both pads/backers, the self-stick and hook-it. I use the hook-it for fine finishing in no more than 1000 grit. While they don't spec it, with the 3M "plastic paper" the hook-it is made out of you can actually wet sand with it. My course of action is 1200 to 1500 (sometimes Meguires foam pad 1500), to 2000, then finish off with 3000 foam pad hook-it, then for that truly anal desire for distinctive reflections I'll keep my worn 3000s around for that. All my stick it papers go from 80 thru 400 grit. They're especially nice for metal finishing using a DA sander converted to a single action spindle that replaces the orbital head.

indyjps and Doublepumper like this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

Stick it, hook it is expensive. I gave all my hook it tools to my dad for woodworking.
    Have normal air tools but bought an electric DA with stick it pad, comes in handy sometimes not having to run the compressor (home shop late at night)

Peel the paper off when youre done. Dont leave it on the DA and put it back in the box. If it still has life stick it on some waxed paper. A month later that paper will be glued on the pad.

29. Yep...

30. Budget36

Budget36

Let me know what you use...(for the sticky stuff)...used to use some stuff that would never set up. Can't find it anymore