Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes new 1929 licence plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Hi,
    Minnesota DMV (where I live) allows year of manufacture plates on vintage cars. I'm looking for a 1929, but don't see anything for sale that I really like. I've heard of companies that custom make vintage plates, but an on line search din't turn up any 1929 Minnesota listing.

Does anyone have experience with this, or have a recommendation? Thanks,
    Joel

2. Every state is different but in California you must use original plates for YOM registration. Are you sure you can use reproductions in Minnesota?

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. egads

egads

Are you looking for 1 or a pair?

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

There are several sites on line that will make a custom reproduction of any year or state out of aluminum.
    Washington State allows original plates to be used but they require them to be inspected for authenticity before you can use them. In other words, no aluminum plates.

5. Washington used aluminum for their plates at least back to 1947 (and I'm pretty sure even further) so plate material isn't an issue. But repo plates are verboten, and generally are in most states. You'll have to check your local laws to see, and they usually get pretty excited if you try to pass off repos as vintage. They're generally OK for 'display only' though...

Up until the mid-50s, not all plates were the same size from state-to-state either (which is why the plate mounts used to be adjustable), but the feds finally stepped in and standardized them in their current size.

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what was wrong with these for $79.00?
    s-l1600.jpg

8. Not all of these are exact duplicates (at least the Washington ones offered), show up with those and they'll get confiscated and you may get a stay at the barred hotel...

9. egads

egads

That's a nice set for 90 years old. Like to find a set from Mo. that nice for my '29 Peerless

10. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I just need 1 for this car. MN requires 2 plates, except on collectors, 1 will be accepted. I was hoping to get a combination or letters and numbers that I like. Not sure what yet, but maybe work the cars name (L29) or the year into the plate.

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

MN does not inspect the plate. The law just says needs to be in good condition, and not already be in use.

12. robracer1

robracer1

I got mine from Licenesplates.tv was about $100 bucks, good customer service, good reproduction tag. DSC02750.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If you go to the web site you will noticed they no longer make repro California plates,,, I think they got a 'talk to' from the state.

14. egads

egads

That's interesting, in Mo you have to get an original plate and confirm the number sequence is not in use. Mn. actually let's you makeup your own set of number's on a repop plate?

Hemi Joel likes this.
  15. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Oh Boy... I see this heading for a train wreck somewhere down the line. I see this as being well received as using repo vin tags, open unsigned titles, etc.

49ratfink likes this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I'm not saying they let you make up your own. It is supposed to be an original y o m plate in good condition. But they don't require you to bring it to the DMV, or inspect it. So if i make one, and it dosen't look like a vanity plate, it should fly.

robracer1 and egads like this.
  17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

This car is a Cord L29, So if I would do something like ACD L29, and that is not in use, I think they would accept it.

I could cut up some original plates and weld them back in the order I wanted and paint it. But buying one would be a lot easier!

egads likes this.
  18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I just emailed licenceplateTV with a request. Thanks for the info!

19. GTS225

GTS225

Joel; You need to take a good look at post 7 again, and realize that what's being pictured is the only structure you can get by with. Three numbers, a dot, and three numbers. IF Minnesota had a an "L" in that left margin, in place of the "B" that's shown, that's all you can hope for. If you go mucking around and build your own, with the alpha-numeric structure that you propose, you run the risk of getting stopped by some state trooper that knows what he's looking at, and having him confiscate the whole car just on principal.

That being said, you could check with Ron Hargrave, down in Webster City, IA, and see what he might have. No website on his business card, but his phone number is 515-832-5344. He's been restoring plates since '97, and I got my '23 Iowa plate from him.

Just my opinion.....Roger

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  20. BJR

BJR

Try your local prison. They made the originals.

62rebel and RDR like this.
  21. Minnesota plates for 1929 are going to start with an A , B ,T or X. 28tudor2.jpg ACD L29 never existed and i doubt would fly if you made one

yes, the state doesn't inspect it , but every on one i have used they wanted a photocopy of it

i had to look long and hard for this one:

22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Most states seem to prefer to manufacture them "in house" by a carefully "vetted" fabrication crew... jus' saying...

23. 6sally6

6sally6

SC lets you use "vintage plates" IF its an un-used number and it original! They can be "touched-up" but the numbers/color/letters need to be original.
    In years past SC required two plates......now they just require one. Sooooo what about that poor smooow that has an old FRONT plate and Bubba has the same number REAR plate?!:confused:
    Owwwwwwww...I got a headache!
    6sally6

24. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

My Washington plates, 1935,1942 and 1945 are steel and can be picked up with a magnet. Washington didn't make a plate in 1946 which is why I can use a 1945 plate on my 46 Caddy.

25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its seems like a bunch of risk to get a plate like ACD L29. That no one but the owner will know the meaning, or a sharp state trooper.
    My2c just find a mint clear 1929 set and rest easy.

XXL__ likes this.
  26. This guy makes custom leather license plates.

He will be st the 2019 Bakersfield Swap Meet.

http://leatherplates.com

Jim

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As mentioned earlier you can't just make something like that up.
    If that combination of letters and numbers was not used in your state in 1929 then step away from your welder and step away from your repro licence plate maker, do not pass go and do not collect $200. :D:D

Actually your hair brained scheme could end up costing you considerably more than $200 :D:D

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If it's for display only, go for any custom plate you want.
    If you plan on licensing and driving the vehicle on the street, the only way I'd go is a real, original plate.
    Just not worth the risk.

lurker mick likes this.
  29. I don't know what the law is in Minnesota, call your local DMV and find out the REAL answer. If they don't know at the local level ask if there is an office in the state capital that could answer the question.

Charlie Stephens

lurker mick likes this.
  30. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for all the help guys. Some you worry a lot more about being 100% legal than I do. In old cars, and especially hot rodding, 75% legal sometimes has to do.

D-Russ and robracer1 like this.