Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ReBuild Of my 1928 Model A Tudor.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cliff Ramsdell, Jan 12, 2019.

1. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Cliff,
    Nice job on the seats! :cool: Question, so for the rear seat the handle and mechanism made it too wide so you removed them and replaced it with a plate so now it doesn't recline. Is that right?
    Thanks, Paul
    P. S. A picture with you in the back seat would give us a good perspective on how much room you actually have back there.

Cliff Ramsdell and loudbang like this.
  2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Paul,
    Correct, the rear seat does not recline, it's in a fixed position. The front seat will fold all the way down forward and folds back almost to the rear seat. If the front seat went anymore it would almost be a bed, make for good hot rod camping. :)

I'll get some pictures for you and Tim and post them up.

Cliff Ramsdell

brEad and loudbang like this.
  3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC_0212.JPG Just spent my morning watching the sun come up and reading your entire post...
    What a fantastic job you've done Cliff!! You transported me right back to 1963, helping
    Big Brother hop up his '29 Tudor (started a chop...ended up a tub).

Spent my career working wood, and gotta say you kept me on the edge of my seat wondering if you'd survive curve-cutting on a table saw! You're VERY lucky!!
    Next time (Ha) I'll lend you my old Sears bandsaw...even drive it down there!

"Fall Out's" my favorite gathering, sorry I missed it last year and seeing your amazing Machine...I'll try again this year.

Thanks for sharing...you made my day! Best of luck to you. Art

wheeldog57, brEad, 48fordnut and 2 others like this.
  4. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Art,
    First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to read my thread and comment, it means a lot to me and reflects on the time and work I put into the car.

My wife commented when I was chopping the top what I would do if things didn't work out and I said we would have a convertible, your statement about your brothers chop effort made me laugh.

The woodworking, yeah, about that. I realized the hazards before I started down that path. Having done remodeling work on the house(s) over the years and having the table saw try and kick my ass many times I tried to be prepared for this task. Extra caution was used, the normal PPE, gloves, safety glasses were used along with a full face shield, jacket. I also always used two hands and only feed the wood in half way and the turned the piece around and finished the cut.

We are heading to the Fitchburg show in April and a bunch of us New England and eastern New York guys should meet up.

Thanks again,
    Cliff Ramsdell

Shutter Speed, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  5. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Date of Fitchburg? I'll try to make it.
    Art

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  7. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Hope to see you there.
    Art

8. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Ok, these are for @Tim and @NashRodMan

As you can see the seat has a good range of adjustment which helps finding a good comfortable position. The seat base is fixed since my wife won’t drive the car.

I haven’t forgotten about the gas gauge stuff Tim, it’s here somewhere.

Cliff Ramsdell
    E93922E8-43DF-4D05-B445-5156149AC682.jpeg 5DBF6D0A-CBE6-401F-81E2-10B25BC0885E.jpeg 351F79AA-CD40-4BA6-B037-D1E766D11B05.jpeg 3FE564E0-E7C5-49B2-897C-53B778C41E53.jpeg

Tim, brEad, NashRodMan and 3 others like this.
  9. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Thanks for the pics Cliff! That just might be better than the original front seats that I have. I don't have anything for the rear. I was thinking of putting the fuel tank behind the rear seat like MikeL50 did in his tudor. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks again. Paul

loudbang likes this.
  10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Paul,
    I paid $75.00 for the pair. Check Craigslist or the local salvage yard.

If I could have found a slim tank I would have kept it in the back.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  11. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Ok, @NashRodMan asked for some pics of me in the back.

My wife snapped these. I’m not a small guy, 6’2”, 245 lbs and size 14 shoe. The carhart jacket is big too. I could ride back here, don’t know how long but...

Enjoy,
    Cliff Ramsdell
    FD8B8267-95B2-4ACC-96B1-4FAA52A43FD4.jpeg EC1E82F3-C0F8-4A89-99E6-4138C39CFC7C.jpeg D0392F6A-A223-4510-A174-25ED33577FC7.jpeg EB560350-DBAD-47CC-9DA7-AD4B6E1353CB.jpeg

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

LOL!! Thanks Cliff. :cool::) You da man.

Edit: I just remembered that your car is chopped and mine isn't...for now. So at this time I'll have plenty of head room!

loudbang and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  13. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Correct, 3” chop and my goon size self fits. It’s tight but the only one my size is my oldest son Chris, the rest are smaller so the back should be fine for all.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  14. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Tim, found the pictures of the "sending unit" So with the dash gauge out I had an idea. They make various gauges sizes for checking tank fluid levels. The screw in, 1 1/2" pipe thread. I popped this one into the tank for fit.

The tank is about 10" deep and found one that should work. We are going to machine to OD down and cut the top out of a stock cap and attach this so it will have a gauge that will give you an idea of how much fuel is in the tank. Good for day to day, no so much for a trip.

I'm still researching a high flow petcock that has 1/4" pipe fitting for a motorcycle with a 5/16" line. The motorcycle petcocks have a reserve position so I wouldn't have to walk if it got too close to empty.

Cliff Ramsdell
    528.JPG 529.JPG 530.JPG

15. Cliff, I like that in tank gauge!

nunattax, loudbang and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a acft gauge.
    Wow you are Big Cliff. Great pic.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ha! That’s different. As far as a road trip goes I suppose that’s what an odometer is for :)

Edit: so do you pull the entire thing out to fuel up?

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Tim,
    That’s the plan at this time. It’s another project needs to be done still, I’ve got the paint stick still.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

That in tank gauge is cool!!!!

20. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Hi all,
    Not much to post in awhile. I have been busy getting ready for two of our kids to get married next week, same week 5 days apart.

I have been jamming on the glass lately and I’ll post up when I’m done getting them installed.

Got some ideas on how to not run out of fuel to also implement.

Cliff Ramsdell

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dawns on me that I saw a similar gas tank float gauge on an A. They put a little flag/airal/ antenna that stuck out of the center of the gas cap.

It was set up that when you couldn’t see the top you needed to start thinking about getting gas.

Was a late 50’s kinda show rod build I believe so it didn’t looknout of place

Cliff Ramsdell, drdave and loudbang like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also, two in a week?! Fuck

loudbang, brEad and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  23. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Yeah, What he said.

Tim and loudbang like this.
  24. Good luck with the weddings! Hope you have funds left after for automotive pursuits.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@brEad easy fix, use the car as part of the wedding so then “wedding funds” can be allocated towards the car. ;)

“I mean hey guys, I was going to wait on the x y z but do you really want to have the car in your wedding be lacking? Didn’t think so, it’ll be delivered tomorrow I’m on top of it. You can thank me later”

26. Lol. @Tim some people (like you) are just better with money than me. Probably explains why all my projects are under funded! I hope Cliff is paying attention. ;)

27. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Tim and @brEad, car progress isn’t financially limited by the weddings. All the car build comes from wheeling and dealing car parts to fund the build.

Cliff Ramsdell

BradinNC and Tim like this.
  28. Excellent! Carry on then.

29. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ditto on the self funding hobby... I would buy a body, take off what I needed, then all the trinkets...
    hung the trinkets on nails... tried to get my part for free and my money back on the body... selling the trinkets was fun money... 37 years worth... now I try and pay taxes...

30. Spent all day reading your thread between patients. Really enjoyed what you have done and got lots of inspiration on my project....I'm going for much the same look as you....old style hot rod built out of "loved" car, so no perfect finishes, but everything working like it should and most importantly, fun.

Dadgum.....two weddings in one week?!! Our oldest got married last December after giving us 6 weeks notice. Life was ka-ray-zee with a capital KA. I can't imagine two at once. Prayers to ya'll as the whole thing goes down (and of course the kids as they start their new lives).