Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where Have All The Independents Gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. socal34

socal34

IMG_2004.JPG

ct1932ford and silent rick like this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Ryan;
    Thanks for opening this thread up. Most of this stuff I didn't know exited.

Wicarnut;
    I'd like to see & know more about those mills n heads.

28Dreyer;
    That looks suspiciously like a Stude Champ 6... :D . I likey... :D .

Nedd;
    Maybe a tangental thread linked to this one, to continue the discussion. Politics (PUBLIC Policy) are pervasive, & invasive. No amount of denial will make them go away, nor cause them to change. But knowledge, which is usually hidden &/or misrepresented, is useful to bare the truth. It has proven interesting to see what happens when enough people learn the truth about the behind-the-scenes-activities, as things do change. *Maybe* Ryan would allow that thread, if asked 1st, although it'd have to be tightly "policed", so's to remove the ranting & the self-appointed-hamb-police-types. Rants are pointless for passing along info. Could be a very educational thread. The truth is out there - but it isn't pretty & takes a cast-iron stomach to digest & accept it - since it usually goes against what we were/are taught. Reigning in ones' ego is very difficult at best, impossible for most, as they have become married & heavily invested into an idea(l) & can't/wont admit it was wrong. Which is usually equated w/they themselves being wrong.

Metaltwister;
    "I usually shy away from these types of threads as business should be private and no one wants to hear about business problems or issues. But in this instance with all these issues I still feel blessed. I love what I do, I have awesome repeat customers, im building things with my hands and Im lucky enough to have an outlet like the Hamb where my kinda people hang out. Its all worth it in the end!"

It's actually helpful - in more than one way - when these issues are discussed. It is appreciated.

Tubman;
    Some more info on the tach black-box would be nice, incl a rough approx of price. They might solve a problem for me.

Marcus...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Just Gary, Metaltwister and Ned Ludd like this.
  3. More art than part- paintings on canvas of folk's rides. South Australia. Independent. Not yet big enough for a HAMB sub, but maybe one day.. 150526MethMike'35-copy.jpg

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just tried to upload my Tachometer Driver information sheet, but it was too large (88 mb). If anyone is interested, they can send me their email address in a PM and I will send it to them. I have included a copy of my installation instructions, if that helps. I have one unit from the original production run left. It is $125.00 plus 7.20 shipping.

I plan on making another batch of these over the next month or two. It will probably be a run of 10, but may be more depending on the kind of response I get.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. We make a few things
    Y-Block 6x2 Intake YBlock6x2intake13.jpg YBlock6x2intake11.jpg
    Y-Block Finned Valley Covers
    YblockFinnedValleyCover1.jpg
    & Few smaller items as well

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are some nice lookin' parts, John. They make me kind of embarrassed for the puny stuff I posted. I have noticed that there is a lot of neat stuff coming out of Oz lately. Keep at it.

Johns Rod & Custom likes this.
  7. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the plug and kind words Cadillac! As someone who has spent their professional career in product design
    I have a passion for the process of taking an idea and making it real. I don't really worry about someone copying my stuff as I have plenty of ideas for new products under my Throwback Hot Rod Designs banner. Check out my website below. BTW I have some new bullet tail lights sized to match the popular '37 Ford tail lights coming out soon.

8. Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    AHotRod, bct and 100% Matt like this.
  9. I shelved my casting projects due to time. Still have some under dash switch panels and a couple prototype dragster pedals. Other than time, the local sales tax lady was a PIA. The web folks never came through but they didn't charge me as well! And the insurance was adding up. I was selling a ton of race parts to the landspeed guys when the large wholes dist. I was using sold out and got rid of their cutting edge website/pricing checker. At the click of a button I could compare parts over a 3 week price average and see if it was even worth bothering compared to Summit, Sopeedway etc. It let you know if you could make a profit. No idea why the new owners scrapped it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. 2nd pic is back and front 20180722_144919.jpeg 20180722_144958.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod, E.C., Tim and 3 others like this.
  11. And I need to give credit to Dennis OBrien. He was my sounding board and helped with getting my first pedals cast. 20180722_150056.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ct1932ford, AHotRod and 55Deso like this.
  12. The Stuff you are doing is nothing to be embarrassed about, It just making stuff they you have a need for, I might need to get some of the condensors of you in the future

13. Here is some other stuff that we have been working on producing as well (we are to busy at the moment working on customer cars though)

Finned Sumps for Y-Blocks, we will also look into doing a rear sump version as well for Thunderbirds & F100's
    We have also done one to Suit an FE
    YBlockSump4.jpg
    Y-Block Timing Cover For A Drag Car (this is just the pattern) We will also set it up to take a Hilborn Pump of the front
    YBlockTimmingCover1A.jpg

14. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

After reading this thread and seeing the parts these vendors are making. There are definitely a couple of parts I will be ordering for my car in the future. This thread was a good idea, and I look forward to seeing what other vendors post as well.

Jake

ct1932ford and AHotRod like this.
  15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Note to Ryan: can we see this stuff in a Gear Journal format on a regular basis?

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Your work slays me man. Love your stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  17. I was wholesaling some Aluminum castings a few years ago.
    Made the patterns, had a local place cast them.
    Quality from the foundry started slipping, then the owner had a stroke. :(
    I sold the patterns and tooling to my customer, who now gets Dennis to make them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  18. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

This post was extremely informative and eye opening. I didnt know that A lot of these guys were making this stuff!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that!

20. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Definitely! Theres a lot if nice parts listed here.

21. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Back to the top in support of the independents

NoSurf likes this.
  22. Just found this thread and subscribed. Thanks for starting it Ryan.

23. I played around with casting custom parts a bit. I made this 180deg aluminum intake manifold for the 230 series Chevy engine, and a fake Hilborn 4-hole injector for my Willys fresh air scoop. Never did anything more with them, no market. Am so glad a guy decided to repop a handful of replicas of the classing gasser front wheel a few years ago. I don't think he still makes them though.
    P8150025.JPG P8150026.JPG manifold 1.JPG manifold 2.JPG manifold 3.jpg manifold 4.JPG manifold 5.JPG manifold 6.JPG manifold 7.JPG manifold 9.JPG manifold 8.JPG manifold 10.jpg manifold 11.jpg pontiac_3..JPG Cope and drag.jpg Core print.jpg Cutoff.jpg Injector pattern.jpg Pack with sand.jpg Injector in place.jpg Under hood injector.jpg 3-4 front4.jpg

ct1932ford, rod1, j hansen and 2 others like this.
  24. Burny

Burny

image.jpeg

Been making these since '99!

ct1932ford likes this.
  25. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

maybe Nick Smithberg will chime in here. (402bossmanon here). He's doing some amazing stuff for the early hemi crowd!

26. Yackobeen

Yackobeen

To The Ford Banger crowd, Burns Racing equipment is Back!
    check out their offerings at www.burnsracingequipment.com 100% made in USA. These are identical to the originals and are produced by small local businesses. A perfect fit for this thread!
    Thanks for starting this thread!
    Jesse

55Deso likes this.
  27. bct

bct

20190311_102644.jpg 20190311_102658.jpg 20190311_102725.jpg

I'd like to produce some of these. I feel there is a gap in available products for model A subrails to model B frame. With or without 32 gas tank. No need to buy and cut up brand new parts . 28 29 roadster is the only combo atm.

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

How many small guys have had their design ripped off of their design by speedway?

This is the problem we face in this world. Small guys either have to fight their local environmental nazis due to chemicals. Taxes are high on some things also. Then have your design ripped off and you loose the market you have worked for is a punch in the nuts.

29. alchemy

alchemy

I had my dash panel ripped off by an Australian guy. He bought one of mine and is making EXACT copies and selling them.

30. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is just horrible, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess he is not a member here. It would be nice for us to know who it is however. Maybe a few members down under can give him some flack and call him out on his theft. Does he have a website?