Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Your longest lasting clear coat jobs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Mar 26, 2019.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

It's been many decades now since clear coats have entered the automotive world.

What is the longest lasting clear coat you have ever seen or painted yourself? Pics encouraged!

Any 20 or 30 year old jobs out there that still look as good as new? Let's see that shine.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. cshades

cshades
    from wi

My avatar was painted in 1999 with napa tech base-clear. It has held up well

3. Jay71

Jay71

The clear coat on my wagon is over 20 years old. Still holding up great. Ive always had a garage to park it in too. For the life of me I cant remember the brand but it was expensive when I bought it. Get what you pay for I suppose.

Shakedown St. likes this.
  4. I painted my Vette with lacquer and a clear lacquer on top back sometime in the 90s I think. But it has been indoors all that time, not setting out. Still looks fresh no cracks, no peeling or lifting.

PICT0003.JPG

Dave Mc, alanp561 and Shakedown St. like this.

5. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

That's really great to see. You take care or lacquer, and lacquer will take care of you.

Plus if you ever need more clear coat, a new coat can be painted right over and it will blend back into the last coat. You could not do that with 2K urethane.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAAC3C6E-A750-4232-967C-3CE136AC01B9.jpeg 3F98662C-2AF5-4EA6-A038-9C90EB2D05BE.jpeg This ‘64 was shot with acrylic lacquer c/c in 1986, got a few little cracks; but she is holding up real well:

Dave Mc, Road Racer and alanp561 like this.
  7. Resized_20190215_013112_2793.jpeg This one was shot in the mid eighties & then sat neglected in a shed til about 2 years ago.
    everything from the front fenders back is in good shape & can be made to shine again but the hood & top of front fenders are peeling like a lizard.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. VonWegener

VonWegener

My Triumph Bonneville Showbike was painted in 1968 in lacquer candy red over a silver base with a thick lacquer clearcoat. Like all lacquers it oxidizes a little and polishes right up to a beautiful shine. The best part is when it gets thin you can lacquer clear coat right on top of it. It is truly wonderful stuff. Nothing like the crap clear coat that is on modern cars.

Dave Mc likes this.
  9. ... My '35 was painted basecoat clearcoat in 1988 for $1500 bucks at the local body shop ...
    ... After 30 years and 45k miles it's holding up remarkably well IMO ...
    20180501_163927.jpg

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

20130714_181631.jpg
    20 year old Dupont basecoat and High Performance clear. With proper care the clear should last for decades

irishsteve likes this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best pic so far. Looks like you got a little clear coat on your forehead, though;)

Black_Sheep likes this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

RM 2K clear w/hardener 35 years this year,1983-84 Cadillac Black Cherry pearlescent mist!KK pictures 020.JPG 001.JPG

Dave Mc, winduptoy, 56don and 4 others like this.
  13. this was painted in 1983. lacquer with an enamel clear coat. I stripped and repainted it a few years ago but still looked good. always garaged and was not used for a lot of years tho. 2014-02-20 15.34.13.jpg

Road Racer likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looks good but I think you polished the top too much and went down to the primer!

Black_Sheep likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Was reading about urethane clears. You can get a gallon for under $100 or you can spend three times that. UV protection, adhesion, durability, hardness, gloss, polishing being some factors mentioned.

Some say you get what you pay for, others say you pay for name, advertising etc..

Obviously an inferior product will cost way more than the savings down the road, or even right away, if in fact you do get what you pay for.

16. There's a lot of us using cheaper basecoats with good clears. HOK, PPG, Axalta as examples. If you don't have a garage and your rod will be outside, you need good clear for uv protection.

stillrunners and blowby like this.
  17. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

18. yep...and not to be cruel.....any body have a daily driver that's out and about say for hours like some of those dang factory jobs ?

19. I clear coated my old '65 Ford pickup after we shot flames on it, the truck was never inside so the clear didn't hold up too many years, probably 4/5 years. HRP

20. My 51 isn't much of a test. It's only 3 years old. The HOK still looks as new. My 32 is 11 years old but it spends more time inside than out. I used Kirker clear on it. No ill affects, yet.

21. A Boner

A Boner

Not that any one really cares about my opinion, but base coat clear coat isn't very traditional looking.....too plastic looking. Probably somewhat ok for a high end custom, but not really traditional looking for a real Hot Rod! There is nothing wrong with street rods, but a base coat, clear coat is more of a street rod look.....not a Hot Rod look. The REAL PROBLEM is when the clear coat starts going south, you aren't going to end up with the highly desired "patina", you will end up with automotive acne....mark my words!

s55mercury66 likes this.
  22. The key is UV exposure
    Any paint will look decent when stored indoors
    If you get 8-10 years of service out of a clear that stays outside, you did good
    The area you live in makes a difference as well.