Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 Run What Ya Brung April 27 and again in the Fall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Occasionally. Have to sneak in through the back door. :D

2. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

3. Now that’s a set of meats :D

He’ll hook for sure with those

brianf31 likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I ran into the same thing with the Coker BFG Silvertown repros, no traction at all.
    First slicks were given to me by a local bracket racer friend, and they were Hoosier 29.5X 9.5 and worked pretty well. He put on a new set every year. The next yuear I wanted to use a little smaller OD tire to get a better rpm range, plus the other slicks were getting old,hard, and about worn out.
    So I bought a pair of Mickey Thompson radials intended for bracket racing. These are NOT the so called strip/street drag radials, they are 28X10 non street legal slicks, and they do bite real well. Plus, being radials, they don't "grow" at speed and help keep my revs up
    Both sets were mounted on a pair of American mag "Daisies" 10" wide.

brianf31 likes this.
  5. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be the Pro Bracket radials. It says they are "designed for automatic transmissions"?

Tudor likes this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Are you referring to the Hoosiers? Or the MT's I got later? The Hoosiers were given to me and as they have always said, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth":) On the MT's I don't remember specifically reading that, but I did call the tire Co.'s tech line and they asked me a lot of questions about the car's weight, trans, and rear gear, and power.:cool:

7. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I meant the MT's. I may do like you did and find something cheap to try out. I'll run down to the Perry Swap Meet this weekend and see what's laying around.

GAOldsman likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I lookedd today and mine are the Pro Bracket radials in thje 28.0X9.0 size. Looked at the info on MT web site and no mention of automatic or manual trans that
    I saw on them with just a quick look see.I'm happy with them using a top loader 4speed also.

GAOldsman likes this.
  9. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dave.

10. Drove the Hoodlum again and now I’ve got a growing punch list...

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As we all know, the "punch list" on a hot rod is an endless thing.;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    loudbang, GAOldsman and PBRmeASAP like this.
  12. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

The older I get the longer my punch list gets!

dirty old man and GAOldsman like this.
  13. Yep and the clock isn't slowing down at all. Another weekend that done came and went, where family came before the hot rod :rolleyes: I hope to thrash on the Hoodlum this weekend.

loudbang and brianf31 like this.
  14. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I wish I didn't have the charity event going on that day. I had no input on that date but I do need to be there to host. I hate that I'm missing it. Please post pics.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Scot, what all is on that punch list? I'm not thinking I have much but the need to reset my rev limiter and my shift light, then mount the slicks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

What no countdown cars. :p

GAOldsman and brianf31 like this.
  17. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Three weeks from Saturday is RWYB!

loudbang likes this.
  18. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some M/T ET Drag bias ply slicks. Now to find a shop that still bubble balances...

chryslerfan55, GAOldsman and loudbang like this.
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Te guy that mounted mine on the Daisy American Racing alloy wheels balanced them with a computer balancer.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Brian I’ve got an old bubble balancer that you’re welcome to use if needed.

Dave I’ve got a wheel cylinder sticking on the rear and I’m not sure what Chebby the 12 bolt came out of. Same with the rest of the car, not sure what to get to replace wear parts. Then of course go over every nut and bolt on the thing. Change the 710. I’ve got a collector or header leaking on the P/S. The carb needs adjusting (beyond my skill set) And a well needed “barn find” bath is in order.

Things I’ve been wanting to do to it is
    Wavy front axle
    Exhaust dumps
    Put the four speed back in
    Interior
    Windows

As stated earlier I believe “When is a hot rod ever done?”

21. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Scott you better get busy!

GAOldsman likes this.
  22. I know right :confused:

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I know your shop isn't at your house Scot, IIRC. How far away from house is it?
    Went to Home Depot yesterday and got 40# charcoal on special, now I gotta see about getting some insect repellant since I let Carl talk me into selling him my bottle from last year as we were leaving the raceway Sun. am. Will the gnats be out in force by 4/27?

24. Yes unfortunately the gnats are out in force.

My shop is about 15 miles south of my house. We’re actively searching for a house closer as we speak.

25. Skin-So-Soft via Avon is the best I’ve seen as far as gnats are concerned. Chuckles swears by cutting a slit in the back of your pants will keep em out of your face.

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Once again as I mentioned earlier, if you even think you just might want to participate in the Sat. am parade, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the application for the parade permit. Better to apply and not make it than to decide later that you want to drive your hot rod in the parade, but it's past time to get advance assignment to a slot and either have to get there earlier or maybe not get in at all.
    Deadline for receipt of permit for advance entry is 4/20/19.

27. Heck loudbang I don’t even know how many more days there are to go :confused:

I did however thrash on da Hoodlum a bit and got the rear brake parts figured out. New wheel cylinders, shoes and a spring kit. As the mid divider bars on both sides only had one spring. :eek: Now to pick up the ordered wheel cylinder they didn’t have tomorrow after work. Then find time to slap them on and bled the system. Then on to punch list line item #2 :D

28. chryslerfan55 and brianf31 like this.
  29. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I decided to re-do my roof insert using a '66 Mustang donor. I've rough trimmed it so now it's on to the tedious task of fitting, TIG welding, planishing and filing.

GAOldsman likes this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Talked to Anthony Persico this afternoon and he said they had just cut some trees down by the motocross track and he'd try to drag one out and let me know where it would be. So we need soimebody to bring a chain saw and a strong back:)
    Also said he would have an outhouse down by our camping area as per usual.

chryslerfan55 and GAOldsman like this.