Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects We gutted the old beater now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 16, 2019.

1. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I sprayed the interior of my old sedan with a product called Lizard skin, it worked great for heat and sound reduction. It also seemed to tighten up the whole car no rattles. Let us know what you end up doing please

2. jazz1

jazz1

I used that stuff as well, it might have better sound deadening quality if it were applied with glue. I'm replacing it with the Home Depot peel and stick, this has been in the planning stages for 6 or 7 years.

3. We used the kilmat. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue One and The37Kid like this.
  4. Today we worked on repairing the broken window channel guide, replaced the '32 wide window felt and used windshield sealer to embed the glass in the window channel.

The kick panels and firewall panel has been made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the headliner in this week, looks darker than it really is in this photo.

[​IMG]

Dave sewed a design in the headliner to mimic the top insert to break up the look. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Blue One likes this.
  5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Charlies Rod Shop
    Grafton, Mass

The37Kid likes this.
  6. We are making a little progress, the headliner is in,the carpet, the back panel & the panel around the back window, both rear side panels and the "B" post on both sides, hopefully we can get the door panels done this week and start the seats next week. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

001.JPG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Smells like a new car.

8. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff! Snowman

9. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Danny that is a hell of a nice job!

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

That's a rich looking shade of brown, very nice...

11. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Cool old car, interior's looking good. I'd consider swapping out those hideous heater knobs. Just not quite in keeping. Thats me being petty.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Any pics of the headliner construction method? It's obviously not a segmented headliner like original. Is it glued to a large panel, and that is attached to the bows somehow?

13. Being closed up in the shop about all I can smell is the glue Dave's been spraying.

Thank you sir.

Thanks man.

Kinda has the look of a old worn leather jacket, actually looks better than I thought it would.

Thank you, I have already been thinking about changing the knobs for something a little more in keeping with the style, That's one of the things I will address that when I get the car back home. HRP

ct1932ford likes this.
  14. Dave did that when I was out of town, but you hit the nail on the head, he used a sheet of luan paneling and screwed it to the existing surrounding wood and top bows, then covered a piece of upholstery board with the material then he sprayed both the top luan and the back of the upholstery board, let it tack and glued it in place.

The material was left intentionally long where he could pull it to the wood tack strips and staple, the rear seating area material around the window covers up the loose edge of the top, if that makes any sense. HRP

[​IMG]

47ragtop likes this.
  15. MMMmmm...glue! :D
    Just kidding, it's really looking good! Keep posting pics.

16. Tom, did you find someone to do your side curtains? HRP

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I will be waiting for your final analysis say over a 4 to 6 month period how that matting holds up and if you are okay with , happy or give it an A+ on sound deadening/insulation qualities. I know from your statements in the past that you drive your hot rod a lot ,so I feel your experiences will be closer to real world than a car that hits a show or two or local cruise ins or periodically driven. I really like the time and finesse you are putting with that interior. I imagine you will enjoy all the upgrades.

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Thanks for sharing all the details. I am not far from doing a bunch of interior stuff on my 51 so threads like this are appreciated!

19. We will put close to 450 miles on the car the first weekend in May for the Nat's South and 600 miles the first weekend in June for the All Deuce Run, then a short trip the middle of May a short 220 mile trip to SIMS.

I don't have any firm plans for other trips but I can guarantee you I will be putting a lot of miles on the car, I;ll keep you posted on how every thing works out.

I have noticed that with just what has been finished the car sounds quieter, I can tap on the body and it has a very solid,dense sound. HRP

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Blue One likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey Danny are you sure you were tapping on the car and not your head ? :D:D:D

Just kidding, I love what your interior looks like so far and the old beater isn’t going to be as much of a beater anymore.

A big improvement and the car will probably be more fun too being quieter and more comfortable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  21. Very nice! I know you're glad to be getting it done.
    Are the black curved panels at the back ABS or upholstery board?

22. Bill, it's all upholstery board and foam, Dave use heavy black plastic on the back of the boards to protect it from any moisture from rain or washing getting in around the windows. HRP

23. Got started early today and Dave finished up both the front door panels, I agonized about sewing in pleats like the seat or just doing a simple square pattern with rounded edges, I think we made the right decision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wrapped up today with finishing the rear of the back seat and installing it.

As you can see we decided to stick with the original wide pleat look instead of the hot rod style narrow roll & pleat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HRP

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    jim snow, dan31, alchemy and 7 others like this.
  24. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Door panels along with everything else looks great!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

This is one of those times when less is more! Wise decision to KISS. I love the wide pleats, they look so much better than narrow pleats IMHO :cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Lookin’ good, color and style perfect choice for your car. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...good choices all-around, Danny.
    The color, the stitching...
    Simple. Timeless. Easy on the eyes.
    Looks really nice.
    Gonna be easier on you and Brenda too. Enjoy it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. I like it. Simple is much classier.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s really nice Danny. Perfect.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Latigo

Latigo

Looking great. Like you, I’ve been running with a bare interior for years. Might be time to step it up a notch.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.