Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not the best, but mine!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Mar 21, 2019.

1. For an up and down 10 years in the old cars hobbyI have bounced between newbie to avid restorer, hoarder, Hot rodder and everything in between. I hope to speak to the guys like me. Shit I can’t even weld, let alone to stuff a master like flop can do. Pretty sure my banger won’t go to bonneville. But back in the day, all people were after was respect in their town. The internet can make our town the world. It took me a number of years to decide to be happy with what I can build and assemble. If you can do better.... good for you. Mine is not a copy, not a show winner. But it makes me smile. I win!

2. Good for you.It's your vision.

3. JimSibley

JimSibley

I like cars. I have always said, the guy that knows the most ridicules the least. I real builder admires what he can, helps where he can and only points out dangers for the sake of safety.

Fordors, scotty t, brEad and 13 others like this.
  4. belair

belair

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    LOU WELLS, sko_ford, alchemy and 10 others like this.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

At the end of the day when you sit and look at what you have accomplished ...Does it make you smile? If so you are doing it completely right:D

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

"I" can completely relate to you! Dreams are what we all work towards; there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel (our own tunnel). Build whatever makes YOU/ME happy; the rest of the world can get in line to, KMA! There are many cars that I can't see what possessed them to build such an abortion, and many more that I only wish I had the talent and ability to build such a creation. I personally prefer mostly stock appearing cars, with drive train modifications. Maybe not too exciting, but it's what I like. Sounds like what you like too. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

48fordnut, Chavezk21, surfdad and 7 others like this.
  7. I agree with you completely. I never drive one of my cars to a show to be judged, I just like them for being my old cars. I don't care if anybody else likes them or even if they are never seen by anyone but me. I have even more limitations now that I am officially "old" and find contorting in, around and under cars troublesome. My welding, painting and other skills are noticeably worse than they used to be.

8. I agree
    The pride I take in my cars is based on the fact that I created them, to my taste, with my basic tools and skills.
    Rarely do I take home a trophy, and rightfully so, as there are always high end builds present, with outstanding workmanship.
    The shows I attend is strictly for the sharing of interest with people who have the same love for a hobby we share.
    I wouldn't be happy with a finished car, created by someone else.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Great car, I would love to have it. A banger with a high compression head, a downdraft carb and a few other upgrades makes a fun driver. Not a 70 mph car but will always draw attention, lot of modern V8 powered cars out there but just a few really vintage powered cars in comparison. Have fun with it.

10. I have always said that you should do what you do and let the chips fall where they may.

In the real world of hot rodding before traditional was traditional most cars never made a magazine spread or even actually raced and won. They were just built by the guys who did it and driven. Fit and finish was for show cars and the rest of the world just had a good time. I personally am all about having a good time, when it stops being fun I'll quit doing it.

CC-Mo, ffr1222k, BradinNC and 12 others like this.
  11. A lot of that nice stuff you see at shows was built by somebody other than the owner. I don't know how many guys I try to talk to about their cars and they don't know a single specific. They wrote a check and bought a car or had one built. If that's your thing, fine. But for me, I'd rather see something a little rougher that the owner has poured his own time and effort into. Something that shows some character from having lived a life and survived. The kind of people who would look down on your car because it's not as nice as theirs are not the kind of people whose opinions I care about.

J_J2, bondojunkie, FlynBrian and 11 others like this.
  12. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

There’s no “man, I really fuckin like this statement” button, so lemme just say that I do. Thanks!

Pat

13. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Great thread. I fully concur with the above statements. There's no shortage of imperfections on my Fury. Be it lousy body work, so-so gaps or the chip in the windshield. Its fine by me, she makes me smile. I put it together with limited funds and fundamental skill set. It's all good.

14. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Right on!!!

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

Is this the car? HRP

16. I try to build a car to the best of my ability and my capability's have improved over the years,but in the end I am the only one that needs to be happy with my accomplishments, I'm fortunate to have a group of friends far more talented than myself and we swap help each other on projects. HRP

17. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Enjoy what you've built, life is too short to be worried about what some one else thinks about your car.
    Take it out and drive it like you want, all of us can't be like those people on Barrett Jackson with more money than they know what to do with. Some one doesn't like my car they can get buggered.

18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Nice ride. I've owned and driven my car since high school where I was laughed at by some for driving an old car. I now have to laugh when I see these clowns who picked on my car years ago now paying an entrance fee to get into a car show where my car sits.

osage orange and Texas Webb like this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

The only shows I enter are shows that support things I support, charities, in memory of special people, or other things I like to support. Nothing I build is a show quality ride, it was build within my abilities and for my enjoyment, and I really don't care if someone like it or not.
    If I enter a car show and I win a trophy, that only tells me there were not enough cars that have entered that show. My favorite trophy is the enjoyment my wife and I get driving around in our hot rod. Gene

20. deucemac

deucemac

You need to remember the original motto of the NSRA. Fun with cars! If you enjoy your car, then you have arrived. If you want to see neurotic people, go to a Corvette meet. They worry about the most trivial things because they can! Just remember that the round rubber things are there for much morethan holding the car off the garage floor. Use them for their real intentions, smile and be glad to have a hot rod!

21. clem

clem

Beautiful car !
    Nice to leave it as it is, or make some changes as to your ability.
    Did you really take 648 photos of it ???

osage orange likes this.
  22. clem

clem

From what I can work out, there are probably only a few world wide with skills like flop !

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Do what ya can,enjoy what you can, I realizing how short life is, headed over shortly to help clean out a good friends shop,he’s gone. But he enjoyed life,his cars,and most of all the people.have fun while ya can.

24. Actually, all those photos where of this car because it was originally kept at my Dad's 7 hours away. That way I could reference stuff while buying parts or asking questions. I ended up letting go of the Tudor because I fell into a deal I couldn't turn down on this one. C9C2F703-898D-49F2-9B4B-9ED1E0259520-196-00000004E710643B.jpeg

UNCLECHET, 325w and arkiehotrods like this.
  25. Oops.. that was before reversing the spring (a friend did that for me).

Attached Files:

61Cruiser, 325w and arkiehotrods like this.
  26. That is a dam cool ride I would be proud to put it my drive way. As other have said build it for you and what you want or like. There is all way going to be that million dollar guys that things is about brand name and how much was spent.

1959Nomad likes this.
  27. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

You are absolutely spot on with your thinking! Nothing worse than someone criticizing someone's ride, then when you ask about their car that they have built, guess what, they don't have one and have never built one. But they still know it all.

1959Nomad and wicarnut like this.
  28. roger didonato

roger didonato

Both cars on my avator are home built & good safe roadcars As with most cars a lot of oops , oohs, & why'd I do that's. But to me its all worth it. So keep it up.

1959Nomad likes this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

When I go to a car show with my truck, I bring it so I can get a close parking spot in the show and I don't have to walk that far.
    Tony

30. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I do that when I go to Symco. Park in the VIP show area, not because I want to show it, but because it’s a good close parking spot among old stuff.