Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carburetor issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by White_Attack, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Looking for advice for my carb issue. It's an AFB Carter and it isn't spraying fuel into the bowl as it should, so the car won't start. I don't want to keep manually adding fuel each time I want to start it. It also has been rebuilt and adjusted if that makes a difference at all. My other buddy can't even figure it out. o_O

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Are you saying the acceleratior pump is not working? If so, check linkage, pump, check valve, and see if the spray nozzles are clear. It’s been forty years since I worked on an AFB, so can’t give you any peticulars. Just the basic.

Bones

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

If it ain't spray'in.....look close at the accelerator pump!!
    6sally6

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

It shouldn't...be spraying fuel into the "bowl" That should already have fuel in it..!
    It should be spraying fuel into the venturi/booster area.

1. No gas in the carburetor.
    2. Accelerator linkage not connected.
    3. Throttle not connected.
    4. The spring and lock on the pump shaft (above the diaphragm) are not in place.
    5. No ones pushing on the gas pedal.
    6. The steel ball is not at the bottom of pump well.
    7. The steel ball is not in the squirter well location.
    8. The squirter is not in place.

Bought all I can think of at this hour.

Mike

ClayMart and dan griffin like this.

5. carbking

carbking

loudbang, dan griffin and egads like this.
  6. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Yes, accel pump.......

7. BJR

BJR

Political? I don't get it. :rolleyes: But I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet.

White_Attack likes this.
  8. egads

egads

loudbang and BJR like this.
  9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If you have to put gas down the ventures, then for some reason the accelerator pump isn't working. There are only two possibilities for that, the rubber seal on the pump has gotten hard or the passages to the nozzles or the nozzle itself are plugged

10. egads

egads

I think what carbking mean's is that you have to see if there is any fuel in the carb. After you prime it and let it run, shut it off and see if any fuel comes out of the shooter when you pump the throttle, if no, accel pump, if yes, fuel is evaporating when the engine is shut down for awhile. ( Ethanol blend's )

loudbang, F&J, carbking and 1 other person like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Thanks, that makes sense now.:)

egads likes this.
  12. carbking

carbking

From the troubleshooting page I posted above:

Accelerator pumps

Often the accelerator pump gets the blame for other problems. It is very easy to test the function of the accelerator pump. Start the engine, and warm to normal operating temperature. Shut off the engine. Remove the air cleaner. The choke butterfly should be fully open, as the engine is warm. Observe the pump jet in the carburetor, and with your hand, work the carburetor throttle to the wide-open position. You should observe a healthy squirt of fuel from the pump jet. A single barrel carburetor will normally squirt a single stream; while a two or four barrel carburetor will normally squirt 2 streams. If you see the stream(s) of fuel, the pump is working. It is important to start the engine prior to doing this test. With modern gasoline, it is quite possible the carburetor will be completely dry prior to starting. If there is no gasoline in the bowl, the pump will not work; and this would give a false result.

Jon

loudbang, White_Attack and egads like this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Could the float level be so low that all of the fuel evaporates when the engine is shut off? If so, that would explain why it may have a good pump shot while running, and none when trying to start it after it has cooled down (and the fuel has evaporated). I have also had weak fuel pumps on quadrajet equipped small block chevys do the "needs primed to start after sitting" deal on me.

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just because a carb has been rebuilt doesn’t mean it was done right.

swade41 and dan griffin like this.
  15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Exactly, and just because a carb is new, does not mean it functions properly.

16. It actually worked fine after the rebuild for quite some time. Even drove around the country side without issue & ran strong.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. I will check it out

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Very helpful. Thanks.

19. The accelerator pump shaft on those are plastic.As they get older they develop a curve.This curve causes it to not travel correctly.Disconnect its linkage,and the shaft may lean to one side.It shouldnt.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If I remember correctly , and this maybe on the timeout bench now for me . The pump on an AFB was leather , if a rebuild it maybe gone by now anyway . If it is still a leather pump and it drys out it usually takes a bit for it to gas soak and swell up to work properly again after a timeout also . Any help here on this memory issue ?

21. That sounds kind of familiar to me too. And it seems like at least some of the carbs with the leather pump seal also had a small garter spring inside them that helped load the seal against the inside of the accelerator pump well. Don't remember ever seeing one come out of place but there's always a first time for everything. :rolleyes:

22. carbking

carbking

Haven't seen this, but I make my own rebuilding kits. We use brass shafts, not plastic.

Jon.