Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Omaha World of Wheels - Who's '40 Ford Tudor with the SBF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Needed a mental health break this weekend with all the overtime I've been putting in and took a few hours Saturday to go to World of Wheels. There was a black '40 Ford standard Tudor on the floor next to a '72-'73 Gran Torino Sport with what looked to be an early 289 SBF in it. I fell in lust with it - it's exactly what I'd like to do with mine - keep the original look but use some vintage OHV FoMoCo motivation. It doesn't look like the firewall was modified; reused the original steering column but newer steering gearbox and a few U-joints; parallel leaf rear, mostly original interior, etc. Got on the floor and crawled under it as best I could to get pics but I can't figure out how he routed the duals around the master cylinder, what he used for the oil pan, what the tranny is, etc. No name on the show card so I have no idea how to get ahold of the owner. Anyone know more about this car?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Nope....I cruised down there in my 34 but didn't go in...having too much fun driving my hot rod. I saw Jeff [hiboy32] standing around outside and gave him a ticket I got from a guy at work....now I wish I'd gone inside.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Well, from studying the pics I took it looks like it has a Curries 9" with 4-link and coil-overs/Panhard rod (no parallel leafs), remote oil filter mounted to back of front crossmember, Flaming River steering gear with two U-joints/bar connecting the modifed stock column to the box (column held in place with a stamped bracket surrounding the tube), split front 'bones, guessing a T-5 (couldn't tell - tranny buried above the X-member/center plate) and a remote clutch hydraulic slave cylinder. Stock front suspension with '40 Deluxe sway bar. Front fender V-bracket replaced with individual brackets off the frame rails. "Shortie" headers. Rear wheels are probably 5- or 6"-wide but I forgot to check tire sizes for 15" or 16". Sign board did say it was from Millard.

lothiandon1940 and 54delray like this.
  4. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Malcolm and stanlow69 like this.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It's Lowell's car. Took alot of creative work to make everything fit and function appropriately.

loudbang, Tim, 54delray and 1 other person like this.
  6. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Sounds like you were able to answer most of your own questions through what you saw and your pictures. Neat car.

7. How about posting some of those pics.:D

Nostrebor likes this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

+1

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Nostrebor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rear wheels are 15" Ford pickup, post 1958. That would say Currie did some 5 on 5-1/2" axle flanges...(tell Lowell I know how to hang 'Baldie' hub caps on those back wheels...)
    You didn't mention front suspension, car looks too low to get a looksee...would have to take a worm's word.
    Nice lookin' C-dan, found a '40 Tudor in Santa Clara, my high school sophomore year.
    '34 Mor-Drop axle, '36 front wishbone and flattened/reversed eyed spring got it low, but 3" shackles got it in MY 'neighborhood'...
    Lowest car at school 'til I 'tilted' Teddy DeMello's black '33 Tudor. That one scraped the tops of the 6.40 X 15s on the front fenders! (over bumps & chuckholes)

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

You are correct on the rear wheels and 9" rear axle. The rear suspension is ladder bars w/ coil-overs. The rear wheels/tires are actually mine, the pair I run to drag race my roadster (avatar photo). Tires are M&H Racemaster and fit perfectly on this '40.

Front suspension is dropped axle, lowering spring, Vega steering. Lots of specific details I'm leaving out and it sure took some work to make this all happen with the 347 SBF. Also has a hydraulic clutch fit in there.

Great car!

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

15. Soooo nice. Thanks, Malcolm.:)

Malcolm and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Malcom - mucho gracias, amigo! I'm scratching my head on how he mounted the SBF without cutting or pounding on the firewall (or did he?). Vega box is an old trick from the '70s-'80s. The dropped front axle/reversed eyes (?) got past me, though, but I'm not a real "rake" fan with a low nose (forgot to mention it has the factory lower radiator splash pan), especially with as many potholes we have around here right now. Still begs the question as to what he used for the oil pan/pump pickup - Bronco rear sump? Will put up my pics once I can find a few minutes to spare (up to my nostrils with a project submittal that's going to keep me living in the office through the weekend into next week).

17. Malcolm, Just had to ad this pic of the Ford powered A Coupe when you guys drove from Nebraska to the Rodder's Journal Show. Myself and two friends shown admiring it..Looks like a few changes since then.:).....Pretty sure this is a Lyle Willits photo. Nebraska Coupe.jpg IMG_20171014_105932_630.jpg

MO_JUNK and 54delray like this.
  18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Thanks for the pics. Very nice 40!

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

very nice! has the right stance for me!

20. sololobo

sololobo

The bare Model A is the same one shown in the triple car pix. He has added the blower, front spindle mounts and it is mega-fast. Owner is Omaha hot rodder Jason Holland.

Malcolm, 54delray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Nice 40. Looking good!!

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Knew what car he was talking about immediately, make you way down to Joplin for the hamb drags and watch it run!

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The blown FE Model A Coupe is getting a couple upgrades before the HAMB Drags in August. Looking forward to seeing what his ET improvements are!

24. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I can’t imagine that car getting any faster , it’s a beast!

Malcolm likes this.