Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Recommend an automatic shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greasyman, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greasyman

Greasyman

I'm looking at shifters for my T bucket with a TH350. I'm planning on installing a Transgo shift kit that will convert the tranny to full manual operation. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-350-3/overview/ I've never driven a car with an aftermarket shifter, so it's fairly confusing to pick one. I think I'm going to go with a ratchet shifter, and right now I'm leaning towards the B&M Hammer shifter. It's fairly inexpensive and in the videos I've seen it seems to be pretty slick in operation. I also like that I can replace the t handle with a more traditional ball knob. Any opinions on this shifter, or recommendations for others?

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  2. Why not a column shifter? It certainly used to be done, so it's traditional, and there's no inconvenient lever between you and your girl... ;)

1Nimrod, j3harleys and loudbang like this.
  3. finn

finn

Ratchet shifters are a pita in a street car. Not worth the complication when shuttling the car back and forth to spot it in the garage, Ora parking spot, at least if they operate like the two B&M shifters I have.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I put a Winters in my old Stude wagon.

[​IMG]

You can beat on it with a big hammer, it's made to handle anything.
    Three speed or four speed patterns.

Mike

1Nimrod, hrm2k, Baron and 3 others like this.

5. Greasyman

Greasyman

That looks small, simple and easy to use. I'll take a look at those. Thanks.

Baron and loudbang like this.
  6. desotot

desotot

how about an old Mustang shifter. Simple and easy.

MO_JUNK and JeffB2 like this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Fords with a C6 had some floor shifters that had the "neutral safety lock out switch" built into the shifter, instead of bolting to the side of the tranny...
    using one on my '30 coupe... [4 wires]

1Nimrod, MO_JUNK and loudbang like this.
  8. the Hammer shifter is a giant pile of crap. I took the one out of my dads Nomad, and made sure it made its way to the land fill so no one else will be cursed with one. It is a pain to operate, period. if you must have a full manual valve body, it will be a complete nightmare. Why not just a Lokar shifter? they work great and operate smooth as glass when set up properly.

9. I like those a bunch, so are the old Powerglide shifters, but most you need a console.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Greasyman -

Small...no... Probably the biggest assembly on the market.
    Simple, yes. Very simple in its construction. You can get them with reverse lockouts and without (shown).

Mike

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I've had a B&M Quicksilver which is a ratchet style and a Art Carr which is now the Winters shifter (I think they call it Sidewinder or something like that) which is a gate type. I liked them both. Decide weather you would prefer to ratchet through the gears or prefer the winters which is spring loaded side to side to get to the next gate. Some of these guys sound like old ladies. Heaven forbid they'd have a 4-speed.

1Nimrod, JeffB2, Bigblue61 and 3 others like this.
  12. egads

egads

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

I put a Sidewinder in my latest hot rod pickup. It took some time and modifications to get it to work on my late model Mopar trans, but its working pretty well now. I've only put about 50-60 miles on the truck at this point, so I can't comment on how its going to work long term.

The plastic case is 15" long, 5" wide, and about 6" high, with the shifter handle above that, and the cable coming out the rear. Its going to take up some real estate in the T bucket. Gene

1Nimrod, Stock Racer and loudbang like this.
  14. primed34

primed34

Got a B&M Quicksilver in my '34 but I used an older thinner console that put the shifter almost between the bucket seats. I like it and it works good. Hurst Quarter Sticks are good also. Lokar looks a little fake to me. If I wanted a shifter that looked like a manual transmission shifter, I'd run a manual transmission.

1Nimrod, JeffB2, Stock Racer and 2 others like this.
  15. I am presently using a B&M Starshifter. It took a little getting used to, but I like it. I don't know where you would find one.
    I also have a Mustang shifter hung in my garage, that I plan to use in one of my other cars. It will be operating a C6, so no modification required, but it would be easy to adapt to a TH350 or 400.
    I also love the Hurst Dual Gate, and although I haven't looked lately, I believe they are getting expensive.
    My son is using a Lokar shifter for his B&M 700r4, and he likes it.
    Bob

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. jimvette59

jimvette59

I used a Mustang shifter on the floor of my Thirty Four . Remember KISS !!!!!!

17. 5brown1

5brown1

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They should take the '&' out of the B&M shifters and it would be more appropriate. Although some folks seem to like to punish themsleves so they sell anyway.

Hurst Autostick II. Simple and reliable, street or strip. And yes you can change the 'T' handle to a conventional knob. No moving parts on the lever. Maybe find a good used Gennie Shifter as I think they're outta business, but their stuff was always good.

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

years ago a buddy bought a b&m…
    the cables would break up and the new one cost over 1/2 what the shifter cost...

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. Stooge

Stooge

Gennie is still around in some form it seems, and I think in the last y or 2, they started introducing some new products, pedals, new style sticks, etc. and some of it looks pretty cool. I've used Lokar a handful of times, and although they are a little spendy, they make a good product that works well, and has good customer support. im not the biggest fan of the look of their shift knobs so in my last car, I did some cobbling and added a cast aluminum stick that I liked better. ( this was just a mockup adapter piece that I ended up remaking)

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I run a B&M Pro Ratchet and love it.
    But this is in a race car.

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

I've used Gennie in my last 4 cars, with no problems

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Any transamatic automission shifter for me would have to be a Hurst Auto Stick 1; it's why I have 4 of them on hand. As far as "expensive" B & M, and other brands of cable shifters, just go to any marine supply outfitter; they are usually in the $20-30 range, a LOT cheaper than the B & M pricing (Morse cable for length/ends). I like the Hurst and B & M "race" cable shifters with a built in lockout feature, just not the one's with a pistol grip, but they don't really fit in with any traditional builds.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    1Nimrod likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I use a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter in my pickup and it works fine, though as others have pointed out it's a bit of a pain for street use, really only when parking and needing to switch between reverse and drive, due to the lockout device. Eh, if that's the worst thing to deal with life is pretty good. Not very traditional looking though, if that matters.

[​IMG]

If I had to change it out, I'd probably do what Squirrel does and build my own.

1Nimrod and saltflats like this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I just bought a Summit shifter for my F100. GREAT mechanics, side-detent, positive lockup in Park and Reverse, neutral safety switch included, it's on the shifter.
    Uses the Summit stick ($110, stick alone...Not for ME!) Or any popular stick...Two bolts attach stick, like a Hurst: 7/8" apart.
    Shifter bolts to the floor, all bracketing included. #SUM 700062, look it up. Bolts, mechanical shift rod and lever for 350 T.H. shift arm. Bolts are button head allens, nice hardware. Shift 'box' is small, a 4" square boot will cover it.
    I made my own stick (last night, easy...Forge and anvil, then finish) Started with a 5/8" rod, warmed up the 3" of one end, anvil-shaped a nice 7/16" 'flat', worked the rest into a nice taper, will finish length and shape when I finish installing.
    Total price (without their stick) $179.00
    Way better (solid, CNC parts, all steel, not plastic) than the B&M junk (had one, never again) Look it over.
    Better than the Mr. Gasket $90 'special' that I modified...I had to locate and file my own detent reliefs! Get what you pay for...

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

TCI in my '32 with the line lock and trans brake buttons.
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  29. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

All of the ratchet shifters are pretty good they just take a little getting used to. Never had a problem using on on the street. Precision Performance probably has the smallest one on the market, about an in wide.

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Vega floor shift if you can find one

1Nimrod and X-cpe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.