Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA & 39 trans questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Nov 16, 2018.

1. cederholm

cederholm

I have just finished rebuilding a '53 8BA and have it on a dolly-stand the allows me to test fit other parts. Can I attach a 39 transmission to it WITHOUT supporting the trans - or is that just dumb?

Also, what clutch size would you use? This combo will go into a full-fendered A. The 8BA came out of a truck and the flywheel looks to have had an 11" clutch. Should I keep that? ....and lastly, should the flywheel be lightened?

Thanks,
    Carl

2. Well Carl, it seems to me that once you fully bolt up the Trans it will be supported just fine. If you have an 11" clutch, run it. No, a flywheel does not "NEED" to be lightened. If you balanced the motor while doing the rebuild, it and the P.P. should have been part of that job.
    The Wizzard

Black Fifty likes this.
  3. Wizz,
    Pardon my ignorance, but is "P.P." referencing pressure plate?

Thanks.
    Mike

barrnone50 likes this.
  4. Correct;

Black Fifty likes this.

5. Thank you. I didn't realize that the disc and pressure plate would be part of that final balancing. That's why I joined the HAMB! ;)

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think an 11" clutch might be a bit much for an 8BA in an "A". Opinions vary, but they can be hard on the left leg. I would seriously consider going to a 9 1/2" unit from a passenger car or a 10" truck unit. The car flywheel should be easy to find (I have a couple just laying around myself) and you would end up with a better balanced power train. Not to say the 11" won't work out, but a smaller clutch might make life easier.

Oh yeah, the pressure plate should be part of the balancing, since it is fixed in position to the flywheel. The clutch disc, however, rotates with the transmission main shaft, so you will just have to hope that it is properly balanced as is. I am sure all quality units are.

Hnstray and Black Fifty like this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I have an 11” in my flathead pickup. I just had them install the lightest springs available for the pressure plate. Works perfectly.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was this an expensive procedure? I probably wouldn't have thought of it, because I would want a new clutch assembly in a car I was building. I believe the smaller clutches cost less and have significantly less rotating mass. As I said in my original post "Opinions vary". Finally, a pickup is a much different animal than a Model "A". I stand by my advice to the O/P.

9. oj

oj

You'd think the 11" with greater contact area would need less pressure than a smaller wheel. It is pounds per square inch, the 11" would have greater inches. I am in the same point in my build and hopefully others will clarify.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

No not expensive at all. Found a nearby shop who rebuilds them.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Please post a photo of what your dolly/stand looks like to aid in answering your first question.
    11 inch clutch and PP is overkill. Go with 10 in. I am using a 50 Merc 10 in. clutch and PP and 50 merc flywheel and bellhousing in my 40 Ford that has an 8BA block. A 39 trans. will bolt up to it. Go over to Fordbarn as this has been discussed there plenty of times.
    Be sure and read all this plus links.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-help-8ba-in-40-coupe.1060915/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  12. I don't get it. If he has a good 11" clutch, flywheel and pressure plate why not use it? Over kill and Not necessary, how is that. Works to good maybe? Why should he spend more $$$$ just to get less clutch? To much pedal pressure, might mean it's time to go to the Gym a little more often. Maybe that's why they came out with that Flat-O-Matic pussy thing.
    The Wizzard

LWEL9226, barrnone50 and 504640 like this.
  13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I run a 9” clutch in my 32 roadster that was 0 balanced to the flywheel , it was a typical rebuilt off the shelf clutch, it slipped in 3rd gear , I sent it to soutland clutch in sandiego they put heavier springs in it and better lining on disc, works perfect now

The bigger the clutch the more reciprocal weight, depending on car I would go small as you can obviously a 9” clutch probably wouldn’t be happy on a Merc , but my little car works great

I have stock pedals /geometry and can still push pedal in with my arm... I don’t know what all this gym talk is

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you do go with the 11 inch clutch you need to use the cast truck bell housing that came with it.
    Be sure to use the correct starter plate.

deucemac likes this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks
    If you're using a stamped steel 1/2 bell from a Merc to attach the 39 trans to your 8ba you can't use an 11 inch clutch. If you have a cast iron 1/2 bell from a truck you can use an 11 inch or smaller clutch.

deucemac likes this.
  17. cederholm

cederholm

Really great into guys - thank you!

For clarity, I have the cast iron truck 1/2 bell and starter plate. If used, the flywheel could use a resurfacing, the pressure plate would need to be rebuilt and the clutch needs replacing.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

With an 11" you wouldn't need to go to the gym!

cederholm likes this.
  19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He has said he has an 11" truck flywheel that needs re-surfacing and a used pressure plate and disc that need rebuilding. If that's the case, he can save a bunch and have a more satisfactory drive train by getting a car flywheel and a smaller clutch. If I had a good flywheel and a new complete 11" clutch assembly, I might use it, but I wouldn't spend anything rebuilding it.

cederholm likes this.
  20. cederholm

cederholm

That was my line of thinking.

Thanks,
    Carl

21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could also check to see if a diaphragm replacement pressure plate is available that uses that Long bolt pattern. This should be cheaper than rebuilding the 11" Long, as well as requiring less pedal effort.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  22. speedshifter

speedshifter

I run 13lb alu flywheel & 9" Long press plate modified 324 Olds engine 39Ford trans 3.10 rear 31" tires 2400lb roadster. Guaranteed it does not slip& the instant engine acceleration when revd up in neutral sure sounds cool! Greg

23. speedshifter

speedshifter

Had Ft Wayne Clutch rbld press plate. Can not remember if they installed heavier springs, have put 15000 miles on clutch since rbld. Works perfect, could not be happier Greg (see above post)

24. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Had clearance problems with an 11".....went to a 9 1/2...

25. rusty valley

rusty valley

11" truck clutch is...well...for a truck. get rid of it. no need to try and spin all that extra weight

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Curious...What was the cost of your rebuild?

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. cometman98006

cometman98006

The 11 inch clutch works great, had one on my 34' 5 window but I would recommend having the clutch / flywheel assembly balanced. I didn't and mine came apart at a little over 100 mph drag racing Thank goodness I had built a scatter shield that worked.

28. speedshifter

speedshifter

It costs a little more to have Ft Wayne Clutch rebuild your press plate than what it costs for a new China press plate, but in my opinion you then have a product that is so much better there is no comparison. Greg

rusty valley likes this.
  29. cederholm

cederholm

Dave, I'm sorry I'm just seeing your question now. I forget the exact amount but i think it was around $200. Bearing, bushing, syncros, all my gears were good. ...Check with VanPelt, all my parts came from him.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

For the rebuild of your motor?