Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Antti, how is it going?

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys for your interest of this thread!
    Its been a while since i've updated this thread and looks like it will be at the background for while.Just dont have time to mess with it at the moment.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Hey Antti, how is the shoebox build coming along?

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for asking Eric. Its still quiet with this one, i havent done much for it for a long time.
    I have messed with bikes at this year. I had a weak moment and i bought an another Harley around six months ago from Florida. Its an early 2000's cop bike, a really comfy bike to ride, but a kind of boring thing. But i've had fun with it. There are still some sheetmetal work do, so i've planned that i'll work with them next. Just need to gather some motivation..
    I think i have to fabricate some kind of working rack for the fenders, it could make the job easier.

5. showpony

showpony

Hi. I know this thread is 10 years old but is that first picture with the cover off of the axle a Ford Auburn 8" ?

6. Antti, when will the Helsinki custom show be held again? wasn't it in January?

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

40two likes this.
  8. RCM59

RCM59

Following. hope things pick up soon but, I get it. Other projects.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Looking forward to the next progress report Antti!

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,i have been tinkering something and i'll update this thread when i am done with it.

Kage and brEad like this.
  11. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Hi! I wanted to know if you can tell me, with certainty, if the bezel tail light shoebox 49 50 is steel and therefore weldable? or metal pot..?
    thank you!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hey,

The original bezels are cast potmetal, but i am not sure are there aftermarket bezels that are chromed steel or stainless. Just curious, whats your plan? I've seen pics of your car and i think the tail lights looks good!
    Merry Christmas everyone!

13. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Thank you for your response! ok..
    I don’t like my lights anymore I’m gonna change them for Shoebox taillight
    I want this:

[​IMG]
    Merry Christmas!
    ;)

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Allrite, i got your point. But you dont need to weld bezels to do that. It will help you a lot, if you find those shoebox tail light "windsplits" somewhere. It might be hard to find from Europe. Those looks like a Lee lenses on those pics, i bought a pair of them too. Here's a link how the tail light mod was done to my shoebox before i bought it. Mike did sure a great job with it. I hope this will help you a bit:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/another-shoebox-goes-under-the-knife.379161/page-4

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  15. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Ok kool! I’ll do that! It’s the best solution! yes i want LEE lenses..
    thank you very much.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its been a really long time since i've updated this thread. The last year was kind of quiet with the build. Mostly because some personal shite i had, but looks like there's some light again at the end of the tunnel. I've been thinking about making a somekind of adjustable and rotating body panel stand, where i can mount fenders, doors, trunk lids etc. So i made this one:

IMG_5047 (Custom).JPG IMG_5051 (Custom).JPG IMG_5055 (Custom).JPG

Teevee68, daddio211, 40two and 10 others like this.
  17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Very cool contraption !

18. Very cool, but if you don't get workin' on that car you ain't ever gonna finish up ! Hahaha

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well, i guess some people think its completely waste of time to build gadgets like that. But if i need it in the project, its a progress in my books...
    Anyway, the front fenders i have, had some rot in the lower corners. So,they needed some patch job.
    Thats the spot that usually rottens first, so nothing new in this case. I bought a repair pieces for the fender braces. Those are a kind of tricky to make, so its just easier to buy them. The outer skin piece was a lot easier thing to do, so i made it by myself.

IMG_5063 (Custom).JPG IMG_5067 (Custom).JPG IMG_5070 (Custom).JPG IMG_5073 (Custom).JPG IMG_20190318_201741 (Custom).jpg

daddio211, kiwiandy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  20. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You make it look so easy! I didn't even know those brace pieces were available.

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    The brace repair pieces are from company called EMS. Their products sure make life a bit easier. They sell floorbraces too, an another thing thats tricky to fabricate.
    This isnt exactly a project update, but i borrowed a hacked up Harley frame piece from a friend of mine and did a Harley frame adapter for the stand too. I guess that will be handy at some point. Its not a frame jig, but it will make welding tabs or other stuff a bit easier job.

IMG_20190316_165747 (Custom).jpg

daddio211 and brEad like this.
  22. warhorseracing likes this.
  23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

brEad likes this.
  24. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is pretty ugly but it has held a whole bunch of engines over the years, I've been using it almost 30 years now and I'm starting a new bike project next month. I've got an Evo engine with 30k miles on it and a spare 5-speed tranny, I'm going to throw together a basic little hardtail bobber for some summer fun.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That looks handy!
    I got samekind of stand, but its for storing or for transportation purposes only. The plan is to get my shovelhead motor rebuilded soon. I have owned that bike since 2002 and i think its time to update the motor. And its a bobber too. My plan was just to get the motor done, but that went out of my hands.
    Made new oil tank, new exhaust pipes, got new Baker 4 speed transmission and Zero Engineering springer front end...
    Anyway, i remembered that the passenger side fender was better. Nope, same crap there than was at the drivers side. I guess that will be this weekends agenda to get that done.

IMG_5084 (Custom).JPG IMG_5089 (Custom).JPG

brEad likes this.
  26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The repairs look great . Rust never sleeps, unfortunately .

27. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that looks about normal. I repaired both fenders and bottoms of the front doors last summer, they looked a lot like that.. On the bike- they ALWAYS get out of hand lol.

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks! Yeah, that is true.

I guess its pretty common spot on other cars too. Friend of mine visited when i was working with the passenger side fender. He is a hardcore Cadillac guy, specially with the '59's. He said that the '59's have same rust issues on same spots.
    These fenders arent the same that came with the car, i bought better pair. Well,not much better. Same rust issues, but less bondo.
    I got the passenger side done. Well, the rust issued are done. There are couple of dings that needs some hammering and i have to plug the trim and parking light holes...

IMG_5101 (Custom).JPG IMG_5103 (Custom).JPG

warhorseracing, JiiTee and brEad like this.
  29. farmer12

farmer12

Great work Antti! Very impressive!!

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric!