Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Backwards Flathead Intake?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Mar 15, 2019.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i saw a "backwards" intake in "old cars weekly" that was from an SBF...

2. banjorear

banjorear

Sure think, Mike. We are all learning about this together.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've never seen a decent comparison between the original and the hexagon, but I've never looked hard either. Story of origin is entirely reasonable but I've never seen anything authoritative...I'd bet good info is in the V8 Times magazine somewhere!
    I think there was only a single stromberg manifold run at Indianapolis...there were several cars (2? 3?) run with miller carbs and the one with Strombergs. I don't even know if carbs were model 40 or 48 or what...I don't think the differences would have mattered at full throttle. The Stromberg car ran the best.
    Cars failed because of overheated steering...was that the truth, or was it corporate bull to deflect blame from a Ford part to a Miller part? And the Stromberg manifold...since Miller was building the cars with his own carbs, who put that into the mix? Bohnalite? Ford?

Moriarity likes this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

In looking at the four carb set up the carbs always looked like they had a Stromberg styled fuel bowl and inlet but had a 4 bolt base like Harry had used on his carbs.
    Also, for some reason two inlets were oriented toward the front of been the car and two to the rear. Going with the four bolt base might have allowed more throttle area than the two throttle bores in a conventional Stromberg.
    It looks like they were an experimental Stromberg (maybe a collaboration with Miller?) but I have never found any decisive info on them.
    Mark Dees had mentioned a reversion problem, most likely caused by the layout and length of the four carb manifolds. The driver and riding mechanic had raw gas blowing back at their faces and that no doubt had something to do with not driving to the maximum in practice and time trials.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Were there any other manifolds that reversed the carbs? Was there parts support for the Hexagon to ease linkage and fuel line needs or just seat-of-the-pants DIY? Other than generator placement what's the other advantage of reversed carbs on the street?

6. 40grit

40grit

When running a WCFB 4 barrel carb on a flathead, it was common to install it backwards. The linkage and fuel line worked out much easier that way.

Mine has been running that way for 10 years. As said earlier neither the engine nor carb care.

John

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. swissmike

swissmike

[​IMG]

Had my Hexagon Tool intake on my Roadster for 15+ years. The only issue I have is that the motor tends to starve when I come to a quick stop.
    I’m so used to seeing the carbs backward that I think everybody else’s are backward...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40grit, that's easy to assess especially given the throttle geography in early Fords.

Swiss, that would have been my guess. Unless float levels remained at peak some momentary fuel starvation upon such dynamics. I can't see it being insanely critical unless a fast stop had to followed by equally fast accelleration but that might be just a rare perfect storm.

I like odd and unique things, surely a Hexagon qualifies and having never owned a flathead Ford I had no idea about this. Being from Motown and spending my life in close proximity to Dearborn I might have to direct my gaze to one of these in the future. This is all good stuff.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Wouldn't turning the carbs around on an adapter run the lead carb's float bowl into the back of the generator, necessitating an offset generator bracket? Unless the adapters were tall and had a big slant built into them.

This is all news to me. I have a Sharp 2 carb intake for my car that leaves the gen in the same spot but the lead carb is pretty much dead center of the intake and the second one in the rear, I could see how reversing them to put the carbs further forward the length of the float bowl would make for much more even distribution, especially with non-progressive linkage. Neat idea for any application.

10. Pothole

Pothole

dickshotrodcarbs.com easily solved my problem. I sent Dick pics, he identified the intake and situation right away. From the pics he quickly put together a linkage set for me. Its now on the car and works great. Thanks to everyone for their input on this issue. I learned a lot and further search Miller and his Indy cars, the ill fated front wheel drive Ford V8 and much more. This Hexagon Tool intake has now become a prized component of my A-V8. I am now on the search for the air breather to properly show it off.
    Pothole