Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Quirks or superstitions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokeybear, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

The topic of superstitions came up with a bunch of car buddies of mine. I remember that my grandpa always glued a wheat penny that was issued in his birth year to the dash of all his cars. I can picture the 1930 penny shining on the dash of his '51 Caddy to this day. I plan on gluing one to the dash of my '30 Model A in honor of him. Also, my dad wouldn't start a vehicle with his right hand. He always reached through the steering wheel and started it with his left hand. When I asked him about it, he said it was just a habit he picked up because his first vehicle was a '69 F-100 that had the ignition switch on the left. I was told by my mother after he passed away that it was really because he always held her hand while they were in a vehicle. Any one else have any cool car related quirks or superstitions to share?

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

I never put my hand on the coil and engine block when cranking the engine.

302GMC, flatheadpete, belair and 7 others like this.
  3. williebill

williebill

Good story about your dad.

Black_Sheep and BigO like this.
  4. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything green around race cars. Danica Patrick apparently broke that traditional superstition at Indianapolis.

Elcohaulic and das858 like this.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

There were green race car sat Indy way before Danica. Teo Fabi drove a factory March sponsored by Skoal. I seem to remember the Porsche (oddly, also driven by Fabi) was green too.

6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i imagine a lot of folks went the "st. christopher" route!

Chavezk21, Hollywood-East and BigO like this.
  7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I can picture the 1930 penny shining on the dash of his '51 Caddy to this day. I plan on gluing one to the dash of my '30 Model A in honor of him."

I hope you mean that you'll glue one of your own birth year, it's super unlucky to glue someone else's birthdate penny on the dash of your car.

8. and never won or placed ever again. LOL :D

I actually got a thing for green. Grew up believing that it is bad luck and it just stuck. I do have a green sweater that is my lucky sweater though. I figure every time I wear it and I don't die or get seriously maimed that's good luck.

For me personally its flames. I have owned 2 cars that I flamed and one bike and they all caught fire shortly after the flame job. So I avoid flames on my own stuff.

raven, loudbang, Hombre and 1 other person like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

lotus-indy-500-team-picture-1965-low-res-for-editorial-use-only-credit-to-ims-photo.jpg
    Jimmy Clark WON The Indy 500 in a green Lotus Ford in 1965 before Danica was born. :)

Bob

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Reds 29, bigboy308, ClayMart and 5 others like this.
  10. Some have been known to say that English racing green on a Brit car is OK. I probably am not going to be driving a Lotus anytime soon (although I did once consider buying a Lotus Europa) but I have heard that the proper green on a brit car is acceptable.

no peanuts in the pits. There is one that most do not know about anymore. I will toss you out of my pit for eating peanuts.

loudbang, jimgoetz and das858 like this.
  11. RDR

RDR

Never set my battery on the cement floor.....sorry you better find me a piece of 2X4 or 2X6 !

OLSKOOL57, dwollam, leon bee and 4 others like this.
  12. Actually that is based on fact. The old battery cases were leaked electricity really bad and setting a battery on "ground" would drain it. That is not the case so much with the newer case materials but I still put my batteries on a board too. ;)

13. I heard of the green thing about motorcycles before but not cars.

Sporty45, 31hotrodguy and Frankie47 like this.
  14. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Plastic Jesus on the dashboard.

I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got that plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard of my car. I can go 100 miles an hour, long as I got that almighty power sitting on the dashboard of my car.

15. silent rick

silent rick

i separate my M&M's by color before eating them

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have a really bad quirk of raising my hand onto anyone's forehead after they fart in my car. My arm and hand are very uncontrollable like that...

17. My official disclaimer: If you are thin skinned this may be considered to be sacrilegious :rolleyes:

18. 56shoebox

56shoebox

19. I wipe my key with my fingers before inserting in the lock. I do not allow anything glass in my shop.

BigO likes this.
  20. Slopok

Slopok

I always clock my Philips screws in an X pattern!

21. das858

das858

I'm going to start looking for a plastic Jesus for my wagon ! I also won't have a green car .

31hotrodguy and rudestude like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

Not a quirk story, but I do have an M&M story. I bet my foreman that there were no red M&M’s in a package and beat him out of $5. I had a bag from the plant vending machines, held it up to my forehead and said there were no red ones in it, to which he said “ You’re nuts, open it.”
    Clearly he didn’t pay attention to the news. There was a time back in the ‘70’s when red dye 40 was banned as a carcinogen and as a result there were no red M&M’s until they found a substitute coloring agent. I let him stew for a couple of days before I gave him his $5 back.

23. RDR

RDR

At least you don't put them in alphabetical order !!

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've heard of the superstition regarding green race cars, but I know a couple of people (who know nothing about cars) who swear that the best cars they ever had, were green.

As far as leaving a battery on a cement floor, I decided to test this superstition by leaving a good battery on a cement floor. After 3 weeks it was dead as a door nail and it would never take a charge again. Since then I always store batteries on a wooden shelf, and my batteries last for years. I know a guy who has several old cars and keeps his spare batteries on the floor, he buys new batteries at least once a year. Why this happens I can't say.

Another weird superstition is that you should always use non detergent 30 weight oil in an old car. Detergent oil has been around since 1947 and multi grade oil since 1951. Chances are your old car has never used anything else, at least until it fell into the hands of some nimrod.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I have owned 2 cars that I flamed and one bike and they all caught fire shortly after the flame job."

Well if you knew anything about sympathetic magick, you would have prophesied this right away!

:eek:

26. Moselli

Moselli

I'm not superstitious... knock on wood.
    Moselli

Black_Sheep and BigO like this.
  27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

As Cool Hand Luke Said "Going 90 it ain't scary, when you got the Virgin Mary, sittin on the dashboard of my car"

56shoebox, BigO and rudestude like this.
  28. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

For me, never a green motorcycle, and one minor quirk... the tags in the neck of t shirts. I cut them out.
    Of course, I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

302GMC, loudbang and BigO like this.
  29. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

No race car number that reads the same upside down. 11, 96, 101 etc. But I knew one driver that always painted his name upside down above the window so people would know who he was if he flipped.

lothiandon1940, blowby and loudbang like this.
  30. oldolds

oldolds

Bells in the car to scare the evil spirits away. I never did it. Had a friend who swore by it. He wrecked more cars than anyone I know. He never got hurt though.

lothiandon1940 and BigO like this.