Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Opinions on wheels, tires, and drop..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Mar 18, 2019.

1. I'd go Supremes with pinner whites. But, I'd have as much tire rake as possible. Dump tubes, like Moriarity's. Maybe a silver small flake top. Understated pinstriping. Add a tube grill and a hidden trailer hitch and you have what a Bellflower based drag racer would tow to Lion's with.

2. derbydad276

derbydad276

My 2 cents worth ....
    Love the chrome reverse look
    With Eaton Spring in our back yard I would talk to them to get lower and keep
    Ride quality

loudbang likes this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like what you have the best.. Painted steelies with poverty caps... Very cool 61 by the way....

robracer1 likes this.
  4. Gotta love the simplicity of chrome rims. HRP

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Save the money on the wheels and get a 409 under the hood. ;) :D

loudbang likes this.
  6. Love to...but the 454 that’s in there now does a great job of Putting a smile on my face when the gas pedal is pushed

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  7. Jay71

Jay71

Those chrome slots would look bad ass with some skinny whites! Can’t go wrong with the chrome reverse on skinny’s either. Id stay away from the Supremes if it was mine. 3 inch drop sounds right. One thing for sure is I definitely wouldn't put Bellflowers on it. Bitchen car.

Sancho and loveoftiki like this.
  8. Yep...that’s the direction I’m headed

loudbang likes this.
  9. I’d love those slots...not in the budget...kid in College..I agree with everything you say and I appreciate the kind words..I know that rooflines an acquired taste...but I look at it as a challenge to see what it can become.

loudbang and Sancho like this.
  10. Yeah except Bobs has em on sale right now..

loudbang likes this.
  11. Love the tube grill idea, maybe make my own with some stainless. Those glory grills are $$$ now

loudbang and scrap metal 48 like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mine has been driven 70,000 miles on cut springs and drives great and rides pretty darned good, I can't remember if it is 1 1/2 or 2 rounds off the front springs (i think it is 2) rear springs are cut too 1 1/2 rounds. cutting springs is free and totally traditional..... I did cut down the front snubbers too, don't just cut em off flat though, give them a snubber shape again so it will be a soft hit. my wheels are 14x6 with 2 1/2 bs and the tires are 7.50-14 all around

Ron Funkhouser and Sancho like this.
  13. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Love the car, And the BBC is an awesome choice. I like the look now, but some wider O.E.M. steelies and some fat tires would look killer (keep the caps). Maybe even raise the front just a tad. Tach on the dash.....maybe even some redline tires. Love the two door post.....maybe even better than a hardtop. Great car. I like the street race vibe. Gary

loudbang and robracer1 like this.
  14. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Take your pictures over to the "photoshop thread" and let them have some fun with it. They are pretty good at giving you what you ask for. Gary

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have the perfect set of wheels for that car.. They ride smooth and are true. Frankly I never liked those Astros especially after working in a gas station changing tires..

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...4-75-bolt-circle-chrome-steel-wheels.1139022/

That's a photo of the corner we used to hang on. Those are the streets we used to drive on, those Astros and many other mags like Fentons didn't last too long haha..

1965 penn and main.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  16. A friend owns that car, he built it for his dad

Screenshot_20190319-194940_Facebook.jpg FB_IMG_1553039432700.jpg

17. Great Car...if I didn’t have the Falcon and my car hadn’t already been shaved, nosed, decked, etc..I’d be going this route.

loudbang likes this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

Drop the front and drive it! Small hub caps and painted wheels look perfect.

robracer1 likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-20_3-46-35.png

upload_2019-3-20_3-46-56.png
    Hello,

This photo has been posted before on other threads. This 61 Chevy Biscayne was a first time purchase by one of our friends in our senior year of high school. It was one of the best looking cars at our school. Boy, was it ever fast!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ictures-comments.1129723/page-2#post-12847388

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...seen-that-before.1098223/page-4#post-12472459

For some reason, most of us had Chevy sedans for our high school cars in 1959-62. It was some sort of freedom from the everyday teenage foibles. But it made the trials and tribulations of being a teenager fun and exciting. My 1958 Chevy Impala was one of the fastest sedans in this time period. The only one defeat that came close was due to my engine malfunction (no power from the outside two carbs after the start) that made me a ½ fender behind at the end of the marked quarter mile.

The hydraulic pressure hose dropped off from…too much pressure at the start. The 56 Chevy 301 owner would not re-run that race over again, when the hose was fixed. He knew how much more horsepower I would have with the stock, 3 carb set up, fully functional, on my 348 motor…

But, in June, this new red Chevy Biscayne ruled the whole Bixby Knolls area with his powerful 409 motor, 4 speed, and Positraction rear gears. (We never had an official race…several attempts with me in the lead ½ way, with quick red brake lights did the trick against the 409.)

Jnaki

The outlook for style and looks remained the same way it came from the factory showroom. It was Red, red wheels, small hubcaps, blackwalls and the simple designation on the front fender…409. That was all it took for our cruising looks during the summer of 1961-62 all over So Cal drive-ins and roads. That was enough. (No mags, nor chromed reversed wheels.)

Both of those add-on wheels were considered, with money not being a hold up. The owner just stuck to the red rim, small hubcap, red car look. If I had loaned him my Chevy rimmed Bruce racing slicks, he would have had the black rims in the back and red in the front. That would have definitely been a “stay away” look for other hot rods on the road. (Hubcaps and all…)

If you are considering those chrome spoke wheels, that is your choice. Unless they were real American 5 spoke mags, everyone at the time thought anything else was just a flashy imitation of the 5 spoke rim look. Those American 5 spoke wheels were considered the top of the line (drag racing look), but the sleeper look was all it took to enjoy this fast, reliable 1961 Biscayne cruising around. The choice is still yours, this is just an opinion and a little history of being back in time.

The quote is appropriate for most things happening in the time period… “Where were you in 1962?”

For some odd reason, things changed as the mid 60s rolled into view. There were more choices and styles started changing. For us, that was a step backward, but everyone has choices.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you go chrome, please, ANYTHING but smoothies. Mid width WW is a smart choice too. Pinners might want something else.

You ain't doing this for me, but were it my car there'd be 15X8 rear and 15X6 front Vette rally wheels, no caps or trim rings, chrome acorn lug nuts, possible body color or maybe an offset color. Why? It's a bruiser now, shaved or not. The custom touches simply pay homage to a time and sort of compliments it's new physique. It deserves OEM style chrome wheels if you go that route. You're better than smoothies and know your details.

No offense to those running em, at least not directly;)

loudbang likes this.
  21. Friends don’t let friends run smoothies....Lord No....no multi lug smoothie wheels ever on my cars....this is a tough car to pin down..it’s plain Jane looks give some on here wood...it did me too! It’s nasty sounding 454 has the same effect on many...it does for me....if it was an untouched sedan this thread wouldn’t exist..the rears would have towel city cheater slicks on the back and a set of Torque thrust originals 5” up front with pro tracks and it would be done...BUT missing doorhandles, frenched antenna, nosed and decked, all take away from that drag strip look and push it into a street cruiser or mild Kustom.. do I think it’s the best material to start with down that road...no..I’d prefer a sport coupe, and than some would be saying the same thing..why would you lower that car...whitewalls...nope, can’t run those wheels... but it’s what I’m working with..I like to refer to it as the mild Kustom super stocker..

loudbang, theHIGHLANDER and Sancho like this.
  22. Put Torq Thrusts on it so it looks like the street racer it actually is.

loudbang and robracer1 like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to go with what Loveoftiki said. To me that body style always was the one guys bought for a stock eliminator class and I like the slightly agressive drag car look on them rather than a custom sled look.

loudbang likes this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

He means it.
    He has that on everything he owns - including his lawnmower, golf cart and shopping cart for the supermarket.

25. Mark has it made....

26. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Torq Thrusts with pie crust slicks, I didn't notice the door handles were gone until reading about it.:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

loudbang likes this.