Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Backwards Flathead Intake?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Pothole

Pothole

Folks I am having an identification problem. My 59ab's dual carb intake places the carbs backwards. Didn't pay any attention to this issue until we went to check on installing progressive linkage. The only markings on the intake is a date "4-11-47". As you can see from the pic the intake positions the carbs backwards. Anyone have any ideal of the application for such a configuration? At this point I think I am going to have to purchase a new intake, I like being different but not when I don't understand it. Thanks, Pothole 100_1968.JPG

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and alanp561 like this.
  2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

possibly it was for a boat or industrial application?,shouldnt be too hard to hook up,need to push the linkage instead of pulling?,it does look pretty nice to me. Harvey

3. banjorear

banjorear

It's a Hexagon Tool intake . Original design was used in front wheel drive race cars. Supposedly, they were secretly funded by Edsel.

I haven't had these carbs in my hands in some type, but I thought there was something different with the linkage on truck 94's? The tops have a triangular lip which can be swapped, but I think the linkage on these pulls instead of pushes.

They also made an air cleaner for this intake that is really neat. Only fits this intake for the spacing is 5.25" v. 5" like a "normal" intake.

LOU WELLS and loudbang like this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It lets your generator stay where it should. You just need to build a little bellcrank to reverse your throttle linkage.

loudbang, Hnstray and alanp561 like this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't what would be harder, knock out a couple adapters to turn em around or make up throttle reversing linkage. Adapters could be bolted on with flathead countersunk 5/16 screws in the reverse pattern then have thread for studs with the corrected pattern. Advantage? Toss on any carb any time in the future with no worries, and it might clean up the fuel line plumbing a bit too. Puts it all where it belongs. Just a thought...

clem and loudbang like this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Present orientation nicely accommodates the generator in stock location, which would change if the carbs were rotated 180*. My first thought when seeing this post, before any comments had been added, was that the carb positioning provided room for generator while at the same time keeping the throttle bores nearer to center of the manifold. Getting the linkage traveling in the right direction doesn’t seem to be such an onerous task.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Pothole: Make it work. It really looks neat.

Lil'Alb, duncan, mountainman2 and 2 others like this.
  8. dudley32

dudley32

X2

9. catdad49

catdad49

Yes, sir! That set-up will definitely keep 'em guessing. Or, you could post it on some flathead sites with some history ( check with banjo) and see what transpires. Someone may make an offer that you Can't refuse! Keep us posted.

loudbang and banjorear like this.
  10. banjorear

banjorear

Haha. It's funny, I could have sold the air cleaner 10X's over. Once I tell guys it only fits the intake and I'll make a sweet deal, they aren't interested. I'll wind up using it and a few guys on here have.

If you can find the air cleaner, it really sets off the set. I'll try to post a pict of it.

You just need to work at it since the intake has been used for decades. It runs pretty well from I understand.

catdad49 likes this.
  11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

If you do the little clamp on throttle linkages, just point them down to reverse the direction.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim and banjorear like this.
  12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've got one somewhere...we could toss a coin, banjo, winner gets the set!
    They were allegedly developed from the manifold from the most successful Ford Indy car; these were front drive. The ones built with Miller carbs did not go as well as the twin Stromberg one, presumably equipped with either 40 or 48 Strombergs. The commercial manifolds were put out postwar and all I have seen bear a cast 1947 date code.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

Was thinking the same thing

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave it and make it work. 57 T-Birds had the dual quad carbs reversed to miss the hood. Carbs or engine don't care.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like the adapter idea but the bell crank is good too. But what about using a 4cylinder throttle shaft assembly which I believe is on the rights and side of the engine?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  16. banjorear

banjorear

Air cleaner

Attached Files:

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Another vote for flopping the throttle arms up

xsquiden likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Guys spend big money for a Hexigon Tool intake because of the uniqueness, and you guys are talking about making it into a generic intake with some adapters to turn the carbs around. Unbelievable.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Sir is the correct answer. The carb doesn't care which way it is setting. The only issue is that if the floats were set a bit low it might uncover the jets on hard accerleration.

loudbang and J. A. Miller like this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

Word. It's called hot rodding, after all.

21. Pothole

Pothole

I can't thank you guys enough. Naturally I will keep it and work out the linkage issue. I think yesterday proof presented itself that this engine possibly had a marine application. I had installed the radiator, add fluid which immediately started pouring all over the floor. Now what the ? I found two 1/2 inch dia threaded holes in the bottom of the engine block right behind the water pumps in a small angled area. No idea what they were for but I don't think it has to do with racing at Indy. I'm off to get a couple of plugs for them BUT thanks to you guys I am no longer concerned about the intake. I wake up in the morning and ask the Lord "what do you have in store for me today?) he never disappoints.

22. alchemy

alchemy

Those holes are original and put there for petcocks to drain the block.

23. Pothole

Pothole

I can't believe I didn't know that but now I do thanks to alchemy.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I hope I find a Hexagon intake sometime soon...(soon enough that I still have my newest flathead build...)
    That is a shiny reminder of the Miller Fords that ran Indy.
    Such HISTORY!

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So is it in the gospel according to Hexagon that all of em were backward carbs? Only marine or FWD racers? If not then the adapter idea plays. If so I'll live a day longer having learned a bit of flathead folklore. Every time you learn something new you live a day longer, right? Maybe I'll deal some Packard folklore in return some day.

26. alchemy

alchemy

I can’t remember ever seeing a regular direction Hexagon Tool intake.

27. banjorear

banjorear

All Hexagon Tool intakes have the carbs backwards. All of them. If you find one that doesn't, it had major surgery done to it and should be easy to spot.

28. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I have a Hexagon intake that I bought either via the Hamb classifieds or the Bay...cant remember which. Paid something like $300 for it. The rumor that it was made for Indy cars doesn't pass the smell test....how many flathead ford front wheel drive (according to the story) ever ran at Indy? Due to the number of these manifolds out there, they certainly were for a larger volume market...boats or cars. Also, according to my tape measure, the carb spacing is the same as a Thickstun carb spacing....except backwards carbs of course. The thickstun air cleaner will fit a Hexagon and vice versa.

29. banjorear

banjorear

The spacing on a Hexagon Tool is 1/4" farther than a Thickstun so the the air cleaners do not fit. I have both and would have sold my Hexagon Tool air cleaner 10X's over if that was the case. I went and took picts on my two that I'll post later.

In '35-'36, there were a few Miller FWD cars that did indeed run flathead V8's. They ran pretty well, except the steering boxes were too close to the exhaust and they would get to hot and seize up during a race.

The original (meaning, first version) of the intake had "D" bases for Strombergs, which is what the Millers ran. It was a short lived program that was fiananced by Ford to boost sales of his new '35-'36 Fords.

After the program was mothballed, someone bought the pattern approximately 15 years later, changed the carb mounting pads to the Holley type and added that patented in '47 on the front behind the gen mount.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...ry-millers-1935-fwd-flathead-ford-indy-racer/

Picts of the different types of Hexagon intakes and some history.
    http://myflatheadford.com/hexagon-tool-intakes/

This link shows the car with the 4X1 intake Bruce mentioned, but I'll keep looking for the picture of one outfitted with the Hexagon 2X2 intake.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and Okie Pete like this.
  30. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Thanks for the info, Banjorear. I have two Thickstuns and one Hexagon but never had them side-by-side..... Also, your link about the millers is interesting....the engines were backwards in the car? .... which made the carbs facing the correct way but the engine was backwards! I think your statement about someone buying the tooling to make more with the Stromberg bolt pattern is reasonable.