Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. uncle Charlie has been gathering parts for another model A hot rod. he had found a frame and a really rotten cowl to go with other chassis parts he has stowed away. we found this AA truck that a tree had fallen on and the price was right. I am going to be getting it in shape for him.
    hauled the cab and his frame to the shop. IMG_4598.JPG

2. tack welded the frame to my chassis cart and slid the cab off the truck and onto the frame. when the wood mounting blocks come in we will mount it solid to the frame and start getting it straight. IMG_4600.JPG IMG_4601.JPG IMG_4606.JPG

3. you can really tell how bent it is on the level frame. IMG_4602.JPG IMG_4603.JPG IMG_4607.JPG IMG_4608.JPG IMG_4612.JPG IMG_4613.JPG

4. Looks like a fun little project. The good news is that no knot head with a Ball peen hammer got to it first.

Atwater Mike, Tman, 4ever18 and 7 others like this.

5. actually, a knot head did. he laid it on it's back and beat it with a small sledge just above the belt line. you can see the outward crease. fortunately he stopped before it ruined it.

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

As nobody's said it yet : "that'll Buff out!" LOL!

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool and with the indented firewall wouldn’t that be a Bud all steel cab? Look forward to seeing you bring her back buddy

nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. I know the indented firewall is for a late 31. I don't know about a Budd body. this truck has a wood framed roof perimeter and wood along the inside of the back of the cab.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Looks solid other than the dents.

What is that freaky looking statue beside it??

BradinNC, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. flatford39

flatford39

That's a mid to early 31. they came from Henry with the cloth tops and the steel tops did not come out until late 31.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slow and steady wins wins this race.

This can be saved.

Okie Pete, BradinNC, patmanta and 4 others like this.
  12. Your probably aware of the basic rule of exact reverse of damage going in to get correct repair coming back to correct. If it becomes a battle your probably out of sequence.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Pull rods, lag screw in slide hammer, 8 pound sledge, all metal and kitty hair. :eek:
    edit; Just kiddin', I actually am straightening out an OT [cooger] fender that had all of the above applied to it, literally, and liberally.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project! The late '31 Ford Cabs had a one piece steel top and sunvisor. I think someone had a top wood kit in the classified section. Bob ……………..stole these photos from 36 Vick & Gene's Hot Rod Parts ads. F0C4B576-72B7-47FC-8D91-4462CCF7ACA9.jpeg.jpg 1931 Pickup 014.JPG

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

16. Budget36

Budget36

I like it, and ya got good metal to work with from what I can see.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...nice pop holder...:D

Well TB nothing like a challenge...
    It reminds me of those barn collapse patients recently...​

18. the truck has the usually rot at the lower panels, the pan under the seat is rotted and the front mount at the firewall is gone.
    I restore more than just vehicles, the table and statue are on the list. The statue is a "dutch girl" from a local fair grounds/racetrack in Danbury ct. she was holding an umbrella and was on display on the path to "dutch village". I need to repair some de-lamination. the fair and track are gone to make room for a maul.:mad:

kiwijeff, nunattax, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  19. yeah, I was really pissed when I heard my buddy's brother beat on the cab.
    I will post the repair as I go, my plan is to repair and bolt the sills down and push/pull the damage up from there. if you see something I should do different please post.
    Charlie is not looking for a "pebble beach" restoration..........he just wants the doors to open.;)

20. I could not remember when model A's trucks had a steel roof, thanks for posting.

Stogy likes this.
  21. hah, within the last 6 years Charlie has built 2 other roadster pickups and a closed cab pickup, starting with just cowls and some door parts.:)

22. Take six inches out of the top and you will have less to repair.:p

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Indented fire wall started in May 31, the steel roof in July or August of 31. The metal tack strip along the roof looks like the one for the metal roof.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. williebill

williebill

Shaken AND stirred

Stogy, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  25. Keep us posted on your progress!

26. Holly Smokes Man, your supposed to say " Not really guys, just kidding here. I wouldn't think of doing it that way" If not some of the younger and less informed might actually try it. You wouldn't want that on your conscience would ya?

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was gonna but I'll just say that if there's paint on it, it's New England Mint! LOL!

I'm excited to see this one come back into shape!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] sam-city_public_works-1545334926-3054.jpg

Uncle Sam is under restoration in a hanger at Danbury Airport. Maybe there is hope the Racearena will return too. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bob

29. Good luck with the project. HRP

30. Bob, did you ever finish your massive clean up where you can get started on that steelback? HRP

kiwijeff likes this.