Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bella’s (TV show built) ‘32 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ken Carvalho, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I never mentioned or posted anything about this “new on the streets” ‘32 Roadster because while it was built in the traditional look of what’s accepted on this site, there are a few modern parts that I didn’t know if they would be acceptabled here. I understand and respect what this site is about, so I left it at that. Recently a post was made by 1bad51merc about a TV car show he saw. I then responded that one of the episodes was about a HotRod built for my daughter. I also explained as above I didn’t think it fit this sites parameters. But it seems through mssgs. responses, and a text that several people on here welcomed her ‘32. Sooo, with that said I’ll post her story along with some pictures.
    ***if any of the moderaters feel this Roadster style, or the story is out of line I’m ok with and understand if it needs to be deleted. I’m not here to cause waves, and don’t want it to be thought of that I’m showing off that we got a ‘32 for free. Trust me I’d trade all the cool stuff she has gotten and experienced including the ‘32 for her NOT to be sick.
    Hope you guys enjoy....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    Outback, bchctybob, Stogy and 18 others like this.
  2. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Troy Ladd and his lovely fiancé who we have become close friends with contacted me a little over a year ago and let me know they were in talks with Courtney Hansen about doing a TV show called “The Ride That Got Away”, the premise was a person who had to sell their dream car for one reason or another and it got away from them. Well since Bella didn’t have a car yet to get away from her, they put a little spin on it and her episode was “The ride that never was”. The rest is what you see here.
    A little back story to give some details.
    My little girl was struck at 8y/o with an extremely rare form of Cancer and was not expected to survive, but with some serious Chemo treatments, hospital stays, great medical staff, and modern medical technology, she responded to treatments and did survive. We are a few of the LUCKY ones!!!! Some of the kids we met, and friendships she made didn’t survive and get to go home, it really sucks!!!
    On to better times, the HotRod and Custom world caught wind of her (we’re a car family) and everyone took her in under their wings!!! She’s had a show “Bella meets the Bay” in her honor, been on stage at GNRS, hangs out with the Brizio’s and Holenbecks, has used the YODER and Pullmax at Walden’s Speed Shop, hung out with Billy Gibbons and received a ZZ key chain directly from his set of keys, has ridden in Aaron Kahan’s Bad News T, and eats dinner with Robert & Suzane Williams everytime we’re in Pomona. There’s so many other great things it’s too much to list. Getting to sit in Don Ewalds FED, The Grasshopper, and James Hetfields Aquarius, etc., etc. I did purchase her a ‘30 sedan for us to build (because she liked Brian’s The Jewel, and Y-Block Guys’ sedans so much), but astronomical medical bills have prevented us from building it. I was then diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and treated during this time as well. But this is all about HER, not me!!!
    Here’s some pictures of the build:

Attached Files:

SPEC, bchctybob, Stogy and 17 others like this.
  3. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

The design was talked about with Troy, Eric Black, and I. I knew what she would want, Troy knew how to put it all together, and Eric drew it up.

Attached Files:

SPEC, bchctybob, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  4. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

The build was done with Troy, Jack Fields (Kraftsman autoworks), Randy Ladd (Troy’s brother), Kev Elliot (yup from Rod n Custom), Caleb Harris, Chris Flik, Myself, & Courtney.
    And the bitchin’ Y-Block was built by Tim McMaster (the Y-Block guy), Kenny at Brookeville Roadster graciously donated the body and frame. Sid Chavers donated one of his Bop-Tops.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    SPEC, bchctybob, charleyw and 16 others like this.

5. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

That’s all I have for now, the car is currently at Walden’s until I can get down there to bring it home to Washington state, then we’ll finish up any small things, there’s a show here in April that she will show it at -Spokane Speed and Custom show- that my friend Brian puts on, and then we’ll be enjoying it. Of course until she’s 16 her mother and I will be chauffeuring her around in it, and after she gets her license she’ll be able to drive it.
    Thanks, Ken

33Doll, bchctybob, gnichols and 15 others like this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonderful heart warming story of how the hot rod fraternity bands together to help out.
    Troy is very generous with his time. He Is coming down under this weekend to enjoy Kiwi hospitality at our Deuce Days.
    I think the cool roadster fits in here very well ,just has a few modern safety upgrades.
    Who doesnt love a Y block in a 32>
    Can anyone post a link to the video of the build please. We cant get the history channel down under.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  7. As I eluded in another thread, I saw the show and Bella's smile said it all, Congratulations.HRP

[​IMG]

31chevymike, lippy, SPEC and 22 others like this.
  8. ... I set up the DVR to record that episode so I wouldn't miss it ... The reveal had me cryin' like baby ... ... ... So happy for Bella and your family ...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    bchctybob, Stogy, Ranchero59 and 5 others like this.
  9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

If that’s not on topic then I don’t know what is....went through something similar with my goddaughter starting at age 2 she is 12 now and cancer free....I saw the show congrats

Outback, bchctybob, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  10. Rckt98

Rckt98

What a great story and what a beautiful young lady.
    The roadster is very much On Topic.

Hop2it, Stogy, hidez57 and 5 others like this.
  11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I watched that show not long ago. Great story and even greater kid!

bchctybob, Stogy, Ranchero59 and 5 others like this.
  12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Cool story, never heard of the show. What network?

Stogy, Ken Carvalho and loudbang like this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Cool story, nice car. Know what you mean about willingly giving it all back just so your kid wouldn’t be sick. Good luck to her, and you.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Cool story, nice car. Know what you mean about willingly giving it all back just so your kid wouldn’t be sick. Good luck to her, and you.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Stogy, mad mikey, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  16. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Very touching story loved the episode .Plus what a awesome car.Very well deserved.

Stogy, Hombre and Ken Carvalho like this.
  17. pumpman

pumpman

So good to read something positive what with is going on in our world. Wishing you guys nothing but the best and healthy futures.

Stogy, hidez57, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  18. This is a great thing that so many people were involved with. The only way to describe what you did
    is, " you're a good daddy." As a father, grandfather, and great grandfather, I know what that means to you. Many kudos to you, and everyone else involved in this project, and her life.

19. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Wow, what an unexpected great response to our Roadster. I appreciate all the kind words, even though I knew it was a traditional style of build, I was expecting it to be considered non-traditional here. Mostly because of the hidden front discs, later rearend and 4 link, etc. but I’m so glad it was deemed acceptable here. Can’t wait to get it up here so I can take her for rides in it.
    Thanks again, Ken

bchctybob, Stogy, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.
  20. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I truly hope and pray Bella and her roadster have many, many years of fun together!
    You and your family have been very Blessed!!
    KK

21. Was awesome to see them build that car for your daughter! Troy Ladd is an awesome dude! Meet him at his old shop in Burbank! Congratulations to Bella!! One sweet ride!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

There's something about car guys that just transcends everything else. Great story and I hope your daughter stays healthy for a very, very long time! I just read the HambAndy 10 years on thread, another example of the caring and generousity of the car hobby.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Bdamfino, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  23. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally HAMB friendly car, and what a great story of hotrod community support!

24. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

This was a great story, this young lady will be a great story for hot ridding. I am glad to hear that both dad & daughters cancer are in remission. A truly touching story, I’m glad that the hot rodding community rallied for this family.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Loved the TV show and car. You all should be very proud and happy. Gary

Stogy, mad mikey and Ken Carvalho like this.
  26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Got to finally see the show the other night on History on demand while working out of town again. Just heart warming. Got all choked up and teary eyed. lol Made sitting in a hotel away from home a lot more enjoyable. Bless everyone involved. Larry

Outback, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  27. Terrible80

Terrible80

I don't cry often. This got to me. Wishing your daughter a long happy hotrodding life.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks again guys. Heres a picture from another friend (Piero, that most of you know as Evil from Mad Fabricatirs Society) that he rolled up a WhiteWall to see what the Roadster would look like with them. I concur, looks good.

Attached Files:

29. Happy to be part of this build. Thanks for dropping by the shop yesterday. :)
    55816588_10219058673764776_4218279774461624320_n.jpg 56418240_10219058673964781_2864277951279529984_n.jpg

SPEC, Outback, bchctybob and 13 others like this.
  30. I watched it..I enjoyed the show and I’m happy to see your Daughter doing well...a sick child is a heartbreaking situation

Stogy, mad mikey, Hombre and 3 others like this.